UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

Same I’m OOS and top of my class with a degree with my CC but I got nothing. To a lot of the Reddit discussions, seems like little or no OOS student got one. But I could be wrong. It was something I was looking into last night.

no, regents does not relate to financial need it is merit based. but if you do get regents and do need financial aid, they will give more money

@silverdad1:
This is what the UCLA website states:

• The Regents Scholarship need-based award is determined annually and is designed to supplement the Cal Grant A and B programs, Pell Grant award and other outside scholarship awards.

In addition to completing the scholarships section on the application for admission, students must complete and submit the FAFSA or the Dream Act Application by the March 2nd deadline for the year they will be enrolling.

OOS here, 1/525 4.0UW, 4.8W from Illinois. I got the Alumni, but no Regents email. Is there a chance OOS email has not been sent yet? I have checked several forums and not found one yet. Has anyone found an OOS Regent?

1 Like

UCLA had 117,531 Freshman applicants for this year 2021 that qualify for Regents. If you take 1% that is 1175 that probably qualify for Regents just for Freshman.

UCLA awards up to 100 Regents scholarships each year to entering and transfer students and currently has approximately 500 Regents Scholars enrolled at UCLA. So only 100 Freshman and Transfers will get the Scholarship, so chances are very slim for the majority of applicants.

Considering College Confidential and Reddit are not a complete representation of the applicant pool, you should not expect many applicants to be posting they received the invite.

Is the regents scholarship exclusive to UCLA or do other UC’s award it?

Just inputting info here: son is OOS, ISEF Finalist, ISEF grand award winner, solo research publication, top GPA and ranking, he has gotten alumni few weeks ago, not regent.

1 Like

All UC’s have Regent scholarships and the amount of the Honorarium can range from $2,000-10,000/year and is different for each campus along with selection criteria. For Freshman, only UCLA and UCB have additional requirements to apply. For the other campuses, it is automatically awarded at time of the admission decisions. Some are open to International students and some are not.

It is best to check each campuses website for details.

Each UC offers a regents scholarship. The criteria and award amount is different. Some (like UCB) notifies finalists who interview and a small % receive the award. Others like UCLA invite you to apply, and select a small % from those that apply to receive the award. Others like UCSD and UCDavis inform you along with the acceptance (at least that is what I have gathered from reading up on it). I believe UCSB and UCDavis are the most generous in terms of the scholarship amount.

Thx -UCSB doesn’t have updated information that I can see.

UCR Regents is $10,000/year which is the most generous. UCD is $7500/year. UCI is $5000/year. UCSB is $6000/year. UCM is $7000/year.

@silverdad1 in the past, UCSB has sent Regents awards and acceptances in the mail earlier than general admission. The portal doesn’t update until the March acceptance date but the UCSB Regents award and certificate states that one is accepted. Last year the date on the letter was 2/14/2020 but it was received in the mail in LA County on Feb 22.

UCB also sends early acceptance to their Regents candidates. According to the buzz on the UCB board, that should be coming out this week.

1 Like

Thank you!

This may not be true at all, but isn’t the Alumni scholarship better than Regents in terms of financial aid? The award for Alumni seems to range from $6,000-$20,000, but Regents is $2,000-$9,000 for UCLA (according to https://prospective-ugstudents-ucla.academicworks.com/opportunities/284).

No. I think you are comparing 4 year vs 1 year totals. The vast majority of Alumni scholars get $1500 per year (ie $6000 over 4 years) with a (literal) handful getting up to $5000 per year. The Regents merit is $2000 per year. I suspect the Regents need-based aid is more generous too.

But the much more important factor is housing and class priority (and parking FWIW) which Regents scholars get and Alumni scholars don’t.

1 Like

So can somebody confirm: did alumni emails mean anything this year?

2 Likes

There is no way to know until all acceptances are in. In previous years, an alumni scholarship invite was correlated with being accepted in general, not necessarily early.

Is the invitation to apply for regents anyway indicate acceptance?

Yes, it has a very high correlation for being admitted.

@Gumbymom Just curious, have you ever heard of someone invited to apply to regents who was then later not accepted?