UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

D received it this morning.

S did not receive that.

Edit: Received the next day.

Received it

So did all applicants receive an alumni scholarship notification, or only select students? Should this be seen as a positive or taken with a grain of salt?

S21 did not receive it but he did receive the alum scholarship invite email a few weeks back.

I think it might be coming out in waves. When @skrapapa posted, I had not yet received it, but I just checked and I did. I don’t think it means anything at all.

Just curious, what did the email say?

HERE, IT’S EASY TO FEEL RIGHT AT HOME

Whether you want to join a business club or form a start-up, play sports or cheer on your favorite team, attend a world-class performance or create your own art, Bruins have endless options at their fingertips. And with over 1,000 student groups and organizations to choose from, it’s easy to find your niche at UCLA.

1 Like

I also am wondering this

I did

This is endlessly discussed every year. General consensus is there are several marketing emails that go out to everyone in batches over a few days.

There are only 3 targeted emails: Alumni Scholarship Invite (goes to quite a few but not everyone), Regents Invite (goes to top 1-2%), and Discover Engineering (goes to top engineering applicants a week before decisions).

All other emails are general marketing and have no bearing on your status.

17 Likes

@spaceaquarium Thank you for answering. These questions have been soooo many times so CC posters, I know it is a hassle to read previous posts but try to see if the question you are asking has been alteady answered.

3 Likes

Hello. I need some guidance. My son received the supplemental questionnaire request, but unfortunately did not see the email until 5:00 pm the day his response was due (February 15). He was asked about (1) talent/skill and (2) special circumstances. Given the time constraints, he was only able to prepare an essay response to the talent/skill. He also wasn’t clear exactly what additional information was needed on special circumstances given that he did very well academically. It’s also a very personal subject so it’s hard to write about (in the UC App he wrote about his father, who is not mentally well, and how that has impacted him) and would have taken more time than he had given his mistake in not timely seeing the email request (I know!).

Upon further reflection, there is more detail he could have provided on this topic, but the timeline has passed. My question is whether he should submit additional information LATE (there was an email provided), or whether this would look bad and it’s better to just leave it alone at this point. FYI he also received the alumni scholarship email.

Thank you for your feedback.

Hello. I need some guidance. My son received the supplemental questionnaire request, but unfortunately did not see the email until 5:00 pm the day his response was due (February 15). He was asked about (1) talent/skill and (2) special circumstances. Given the time constraints, he was only able to prepare an essay response to the talent/skill. He also wasn’t clear exactly what additional information was needed on special circumstances given that he did very well academically. It’s also a very personal subject so it’s hard to write about (in the UC App he wrote about his father, who is not mentally well, and how that has impacted him) and would have taken more time than he had given his mistake in not timely seeing the email request (I know!).

Upon further reflection, there is more detail he could have provided on this topic, but the timeline has passed. My question is whether he should submit additional information LATE (there was an email provided), or whether this would look bad and it’s better to just leave it alone at this point. FYI he also received the alumni scholarship email.

Thank you for your feedback.

I would submit a late response with more details since this is an option. Better to submit than not at this point.

@Gumbymom Back to the alumni scholarship application . My son received the email. I noticed on the application portal homepage when you click the description of the scholarship there are two supplemental questions. When you open the application, though, there is no where to answer those. There is just one essay question at the end of the app which looks optional. Anyone?

@TwoforT: Sorry I cannot help so hopefully someone who filled out the application can chime in. I thought there was an explanation of how to fill out the application somewhere buried in this discussion but I cannot find it at the moment.

When you sign in to scholarship portal and then click on “ours” under opportunities and then click on freshman alumni scholarships, you should be able to enter the responses under each question.

2 Likes

Hello, that is a general application. Once you fill out all of those questions, you can click to apply on the alumni scholarship link again and it will bring you to the two submission boxes for the essays.

Edit: just realized I replyed to wrong chat sorry bout that

1 Like

Emmithegoat is right. But I think you have to first complete the general application. Once that is done then click scholarships and click ours and then click apply to freshman alumni scholarship. Once you so that the o essay prompts will pop up.

1 Like