UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

I don’t have it bookmarked but a few years ago UCSD had a power point online indicating that they used both the capped and the uncapped UC GPA.

Colleges in general are looking for students who will be successful in the classroom and who become a vital part of their campus. Remember, just as they recruit top students, they also recruit top professors and they are looking for students who don’t just attend class but who are actively engaged in their education. If you attend admissions presentations (virtual or in person) and really read the schools’ websites, most schools will tell you the type of student they are looking for.

UCLA uses the word OPTIMIST everywhere! They talk about collaboration and working across disciplines to build a better world. The homepage of UCLA admissions says,
WANT TO MAKE THE WORLD BETTER? LET’S GO. You’re idealistic, driven and creative. You love learning and hearing different points of view. You feel empathy for others and believe everyone deserves a fair shot. You see obstacles as a chance to grow. You are a changemaker, just like us. Together? We’re unstoppable.

UCB tends to talk more about community and academics. Their admission page has statements such as When you become a Golden Bear, you connect with a long tradition of academic excellence and community pride. UC Berkeley seeks students from all over the world to be a part of our amazing community. While grades and test scores are important and our applicant pool is highly competitive, we read each application individually—looking beyond the numbers—for students who can add to the extraordinary educational atmosphere at Berkeley. Their admissions page links to an article about what [leadership looks like in an application] and how applicants show leadership both in and out of the classroom.(What Leadership Looks Like. We’ve updated this story! For the… | by UC Berkeley Admissions | Medium)

You can see that the two schools are looking for different type of student. Some kids will be viewed as a good fit by both schools which isn’t because of a specific GPA or benchmark. Other kids will be seen as a better fit by one school and not the other. It isn’t because the student is from So Cal vs No Cal. It isn’t because the UC has a quota for each high school. It isn’t because they have something against a particular student.

There are a lot of hurt feelings on the UCSB forum and when Friday comes, there will be ups and downs and various theories posted on this forum as well. In the Greek system they say “trust the process.” In post 952, @cowboysfan2001 says, “Each and every one of you will end up at the school you belong at.” It has been a tough year for everyone. Hang in there.

18 Likes

How does everyone’s portal look for UCLA? Mine has looked the same for quite some time. At top of page it says “Application Status: Supplemental Questionnaire Submitted” and then below it is a letter saying they received application and decisions will be in late March. I thought the application status was a little weird, why not say “in review?” All the portals are so different - guess this reflects how different their decision process is as well.

I’m not sure I would take something someone said here as truth. 2 days out and still nothing on UCLA social media.

I’m OOS and my W GPA is 4.31 because my school doesn’t really let people take APs before junior year. I’ve gotten straight As and took only school designated honors before jr year, do they take school designated H into account even though I had to put NH on the app?

OOS Honors classes are not given the GPA Honors bump but your HS rigor will be considered within the context of your HS.

2 Likes

Is #2 Capped weighted GPA uses 10th and 11th grades only? What is the reason not counting 9th grade?
How about #1 and #3?
Thanks.

Thank you so much!

mine looks like that too! Ahhhh! I wish it were more user friendly like the other portalssss

1 Like

Will we be notified if we got the Regents scholarship on the 19th as well? Anyone know the odds of getting the scholarship out of the circa 1000 people invited?

no idea but probably should come out on same day :slight_smile:

1 Like

really hope so!

1 Like

UCLA regents invites was already out february. So if u were invited and applied u should find out friday. Good luck

2 Likes

I do not know the history behind not using 9th grades but usually HS Freshman year is a transition year and the UC’s and CSU’s are giving students some slack. You are still required to pass all 9th grade a-g courses and these courses/grades are also reviewed.

Although not all the UC’s will state this on the website, they do use all three UC GPA’s: Unweighted, Capped weighed (determines UC Eligibility) and Fully weighted.

1 Like

They are not using 9th grade in any of those GPA calculations?

I think UC is not using 12th grade point either, since it doesn’t want mid-year grade update. Correct?

1 Like

Just 10-11th grade like their website indicates

I thought so, but when @Gumbymom recently posted something that was saying “from all A-G courses” I thought maybe UCLA was doing something different.

Yeah, can’t use 12th.

@jesse_sgirl jesse_sgirl By all A-G courses, I meant for 10th-11th grade. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, @TC2927 , yes take everything with a grain of salt but UCLA is also notorious for not offering hints until the last minute. But I can say with almost 100% certainty that the decisions will be released on the 19th.

3 Likes

Use only 2 years out of 4 years. There is nothing holistic about it. Should use 9th grade through 12th grade 1st semester, like most top colleges.