UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

9th grade honors don’t count anyhow.

It is frustrating though, Pre-calc at a school down the road might be UC honors, but not a different high school in the same town is not. The high schools have to care enough to go through the process to get their course certified as UC honors.

1 Like

Yeah, wouldn’t have counted toward UC GPA, but would have counted toward fully weighted GPA at school. He had two honors in 9th and 2 in 10th. Oh, hindsight is 20/20! I feel like I could totally be a college consultant after going through the last four years!!!

4 Likes

The UC capped GPA abnormality used to always bother me. My kids went to a high school with 7 class periods, and the more a-g classes they took, the lower their capped GPA would be. I think that’s why some of the UC’s like UCLA consider the uncapped GPA. Also, if you look at the statistics that UCLA posts, they make note of the number of semesters of honors/AP courses taken. In past years they would also show statistics for the number of semesters of a-g courses. Since they are tracking these things, I would think they are considering them for admissions. In fact, UCLA states that in the review process they look at the number and rigor of courses taken and grades earned and look for a strong senior course load. So take heart that they will know the difference between the student taking 5 APs vs. 7. And on that note, our high school counselor used to read for one of the UC’s. She said that those things would be looked at in the context of the high school; the high school counselor must submit a report for the school, and the number of honors/AP courses would be compared to the average number taken by students at the school. The problem that I see is that it then creates a cycle where students are trying to make sure they take more than average, and so the average keeps going up. My kids are already in college, so I don’t have to worry about this anymore, but I empathize with all of you going through this, especially with all the crazy changes this year.

5 Likes

If your child wants to apply to competitive colleges they need to take the most rigorous course load, which typically is heavy on APs. Trying to play a numbers game by taking honors instead might backfire.

More importantly, I think course decisions should be based upon the best education for your child, not to game the system.

4 Likes

@StillLotsToLearn that’s why they evaluate you in the context of your school. It accounts for those gpa discrepancies due to class schedule structure.

Hi there, thank you for the link : ) Looking at her school does a course need to be listed there for the extra weighted points? All the AP classes have a star next to them.
Sorry if i am being confusing!

Losing hope after UCSB rejection. How difficult is it to transfer into UCLA later?

Do the UC’s calculate this GPA for you? Or do you on your application?

Are you finding an AP course that she took at your high school that is not listed? Make sure you look in the elective section as well. If it isn’t there, I would contact your high school and see if they neglected to file the necessary paperwork.

All AP classes should be listed and weighted. You may find other non AP courses that are weighted as well. Classes such as Geometry Honors, Algebra 2 Honors, English Honors are usually not. Sometimes students (and parents) mistakenly count all high school honors courses as UC honors courses which is not the case.

The UCs will calculate it for you. If you applied to the CSU system, you should have been able to see the capped UC/CSU GPA on your application.

Yes it needs the star. My kid had a dozen classes that their high school marked as honors level but only one was UC honors

When UC admissions review course rigor, APs will most likely be reviewed as a higher level of difficulty than Honors. Not all honors classes count as UC Honors, only certain honors classes, whereas all AP classes are eligible for the extra point. In terms of extra points, it is a total of 8 points (across AP and UC honors eligible honors classes). As stated elsewhere, only a maximum of 4 of the 8 points can be used to weight Sophomore year grades. you can use all 8 (for Junior year, if you have not used any for Soph. year). It was quite confusing for me too, when our older son was applying. If you go to the UC system site, it is all explained and you can also google it. Many explanations on the internet.

3 Likes

Anyone know how credits for CL courses factor into UC gpa?

1 Like

Where can applicants check/found-out the actual weighted GPA UC calculates for them? I thought students enter the grades online using their HS transcripts, and UC schools calculate the GPAs without showing them on their portals.

Hi!! Does anyone know if a UC gpa below a 4.0 is an immediate UCLA rejection? The huge increase in applications this year is making me nervous that lower GPAs will be flagged immediately : (

same!! i take so many courses that were above the AP level at this governor’s program at my school but none count for uc honors credit :upside_down_face:

I only have like 2 uc honors credits

i think you have to calculate it yourself unfortunately:(

Yes a maximum of 8 weighted points from summer before 10th grade until summer after 11th grade for your capped UCGPA. The uncapped UCGPA gives an extra point for all UC weighted courses from summer before 10th to summer after 11th grade.

How can one catch/discover the GPA mistake in the UC system then (assuming an applicant entered all the entries correctly based on his/her HS transcripts).

If one entered everything correctly there should be no reason to catch or discover a GPA mistake.

Once you know which courses are UC weighted at your high school, you can calculate your UC GPA here: GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub