UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

When does UCLA send invites for the Regents application?

2 Likes

Very early Feb

1 Like

Would someone mind explaining the Regents application/program to me?

I’m sorry but I don’t know much about it. I did receive the email about it but I’m unsure if it’s something I should apply for.

UCLA’s Regents Scholarship Program awards up to 100 full-tuition scholarships every year. The top 1.5% of the entering freshmen applicant pool are invited by the Faculty Committee on Honors, Awards and Prizes and the Financial Aid Scholarship Office to compete for the UCLA Regents scholarship. Students then go through a further application process and are selected on the basis of demonstrated academic excellence, leadership and exceptional promise.

The UCLA Regents Scholarship program is unique to the UCLA campus, therefore, the award cannot be transferred to other UC campuses, nor could other UC campus Regents Scholarship awards be honored at UCLA. Selection of the Regents Scholars is completed by each campus individually.

Student Obligations:

• Regents Scholars are required to report additional outside financial assistance and/or outside scholarships awards to the Financial Aid and Scholarships office.
  • Scholars must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA during all quarters of attendance and are required to enroll in a minimum of 12 units per quarter
  • Students must notify the scholarship coordinator of any change in academic status, such as taking less than the required 12 units per quarter, dropping below a 3.0 or if they are planning to take an approved leave of absence. Taking a quarter off will not extend the award past your tenure and may jeopardize your future scholarship if you do not inform the Scholarship coordinator

Scholarship Benefits:

• All Regents Scholars are considered for a $2,000 honorarium regardless of financial need.
  • If a Regents Scholar has additional financial need beyond the $2,000 honorarium, the scholar will be awarded university scholarship and/or grants to cover the remainder of the scholar’s need.
  • Entering Freshmen are awarded a four-year scholarship (12 straight academic quarters). Scholarship is not awarded in the summer.
  • Entering Transfer students are awarded a two-year scholarship (6 academic quarters). Scholarship is not awarded in the summer.
  • Students receive priority enrollment starting with their second and subsequent quarters, guaranteed Housing (as long as the Housing application is submitted by the Housing Office deadlines), guaranteed parking (as long as the Parking application is submitted by the Parking Office deadlines), and Faculty Mentorship is established by the Regents Scholar Society to each and every Regents Scholar, as requested.
  • All Regents Scholars are eligible to join the Regents Scholar Society and are strongly encouraged to establish membership in this official campus student organization.

Scholarship program:

• The Regents Scholarship need-based award is determined annually and is designed to supplement the Cal Grant A and B programs, Pell Grant award and other outside scholarship awards.
  • The Scholarship coordinator will perform an annual academic review at the end of the Spring quarter of all scholars. Students that do not adhere to the scholarship requirements will be terminated and possibly billed for scholarship received.
  • Regents Scholars may not transfer from schools within UCLA to continue to receive the Scholarship. All schools select their Regents Scholars differently, such as the School of Arts Architecture, Theatre & Film, and School of Music select their scholars based on their artistic portfolios. The College of Letters & Science and School of Engineering will select their students based on academic abilities.
3 Likes

Wait, you already received the email invite for Regents?

Not an invite, it was just the informational email about the scholarship.

I was under the impression that every UCLA applicant received it.

I just asked about it because I never heard of it prior to reading the email about it.

Last year on Feb 6 just after 3 pm, UCLA sent email notifications that the Alumni Scholarship application was open. On Feb 7 at 1:45 pm and again at 3:30 pm PST they sent an invite to apply for the Regents Scholarship. Also on Feb 7 around 3:30 pm PST, Berkeley sent notifications that they updated their portal and included invites to apply for Regents.

Berkeley’s portal update in early Feb notified top students that they were admitted while UCLA’s invite stated, " Please note that this invitation to apply for the Regents Scholarship does not constitute an offer of admission. UCLA’s Faculty Committee on Honors, Awards and Prizes will evaluate Regents Scholarships applicants and select the recipients. Regents Scholarship winners notifications are included on their Provisional Award Letter (PAL) in late March with the release of Admission Decisions."

The UCLA Regents email said, “I would like to encourage you to apply for the UCLA Regents Scholarship for the 2020-2021 academic year.” and included a student specific code to be able to access the application. @teenager146 is that what you received?

So is the top 1.5% measured strictly by GOA this year?

According to your message on last year’s UCLA regents email, it was sent right after the day the alumni scholarship email was sent out. Does it mean that students will receive their regents email from UCLA in the coming week? Like Monday or Tuesday ? As UCLA already sent out the alumni scholarship email…

@silverdad1:

If you read all the Regents information, Regents selection criteria is handled differently by each UCLA college.

All schools select their Regents Scholars differently, such as the School of Arts and Architecture, Theatre & Film, and School of Music select their scholars based on their artistic portfolios. The College of Letters & Science and School of Engineering will select their students based on academic abilities.

is there any way UCs will have the ability to see SAT scores on my app? my counselor told me to submit my score for course placement if i end up enrolling, but the score is below the middle 50% for some of the UCs i applied to. now i’m really worried that they will see it somehow and it will hurt my app. i know they are test-blind but i’ve heard there might’ve been issues with the court case or something. i need reassurance pls!

@sharkysnake: Admissions will not have access to your test scores during your application review.

UC’s test policy statement:

UC will not consider SAT or ACT test scores when making admissions decisions or awarding Regents and Chancellor’s scholarships. If you choose to submit test scores as part of your application, they may be used to determine your eligibility for the California statewide admissions guarantee, as an alternative method of fulfilling minimum requirements for eligibility or for course placement after you enroll.

1 Like

@Gumbymom
Do you know if the Alumni and Regents readers/reviewers have access to the applicants’ application? ie transcripts, test scores, essays, etc?

It looks like UCLA Regents is opened with the Alumni invite this year. At least that’s what my son told me when he started filling out the application, the Regents info is there in his application

1 Like

@chrisn21: This is information regarding the Alumni scholarship is from last year.

The shortlisting process appears to be based primarily on a) did you write an essay that stands out and gets noticed by your reader and b) your community service and similar ECs. Its different from the Regents scholarship which is based more on pure academic talent (and obviously relies on the original UC application for shortlisting). So my S who was senior class president etc won an Alumni scholarship, his classmate who was the top student with 36 ACT etc won a Regents scholarship. However, I understand that some applicants can win both scholarships (and then they stack).

Its worth noting that the Regents scholarship is vastly more useful as it gives you class and housing priority (and other things like a parking permit), while the Alumni scholarship doesn’t. Nevertheless, a $6000 scholarship is worth applying for and there are some additional benefits, like access to internships, mentoring etc.

The Alumni Association is independent of UCLA admissions. There is only a one way flow of information:

1. UCLA admissions give the Alumni Association a list of some subset of applicants for the invitation email. Then the invitation is sent out and people apply for the Alumni scholarship.

2. After UCLA admissions have announced their admission decisions, they give the Alumni Association a list of admitted students so they can screen out any scholarship applications from those who weren’t admitted before starting to read them.

The only time information goes the other way is when the Alumni Association tell financial aid about the awarded scholarships.

So there is no impact on the admission decision from any Alumni scholarship application. The fact that there may be correlation (depending on how selective UCLA admissions were in compiling the original list for the invitation email) is in no way causation.

For Regents, depending upon which UCLA college is reviewing the applicants for the scholarship, academics is the primary consideration for the College of Engineering and the College of Letters and Sciences so they would have access to the UC application.

5 Likes

Thank you Gumbymom!

Also as per the last year thread, students will be able to see both alumni scholarship and regents on their form, but in order to apply for regents, you’ll need a separate code which will be sent in an email to those that get invited for regents scholarship.

2 Likes

So the Alumni Scholarship is also for a selected group of applicants but maybe larger than the Regent one?

The info from @Gumbymom above was what I wrote last year. The Alumni email used to be sent to a selected group which gave a decent but not complete overlap with admission (said to be about 60% reliable in 2018). That was probably done to manage the number of essays they have to read (or to avoid too many essays simply being thrown away when applicants are rejected - anyone who is waitlisted is also ruled out), though anyone could apply, whether or not they received the invitation. I think in the last two years (2020 & 2021) they’ve (EDIT) sent the email to a larger group.

With this year being test blind I think there’ll be an even bigger emphasis on ECs for the Alumni scholarship. I think I read that they get about 3000 applications, though I’m not sure if that excludes people who don’t get in. Then they shortlist about 500 with 150 freshmen ultimately getting it (and some being awarded it later in the summer if too many people who were offered the scholarship go elsewhere).

1 Like

Thanks for the additional information. I shouldn’t get overly excited then :grinning:

Okay sorry for the mix up. I actually received the Alumni email, not regents. In my head I thought that it was Regents because I thought it was just spam mail, so I didn’t take an in depth look at it.

1 Like