UCLA Class of 2025 Discussion

I’m guessing that you have to divide that 30 {enrolled}/year into the source schools, not to deter you. B/c the number from high schools would be ~ 15 maybe 20, and the rest from transfers, or, say, 10-15. The yield would probably be pretty high, despite, NYU and USC – I think they might have once provided the yield, but as transfers the acceptance rate was 2% and a yield of 85%, as seen in this linky . The yield from hs wouldn’t be 85%, but it would probably be ~ 70% or so. So this would mean UCLA would enroll 18, say from hs, and that would mean accepting 26, out of what, 2,000 apps (huge guess) for AR of 1.3% — yikes!

Looks like 4% (per an article in The Daily Bruin a couple of years ago – I don’t know why I can’t link to it; this is my first post, lol). So perhaps a little lower now.

I heard they spent an avg of 15mins on each app last year and there were 108,837 applicants 15(108,837)=1,632,555 minutes spent looking at applications total.

If we assume that they spent the same amount of total time this year as last year then there are only 1,632,555 minutes available to look at applications. There were 168,000 applications this year.

1,632,555mins/168,000applications=9.72 minutes per application.

1 Like

Wow. I thought I read somewhere that UCLA got the most applications of any school. Like in the all US? That’s just crazy if it’s true.

1 Like

yea, almost every year they break the record

Yeah. Most of us will be screwed out of an admission this year. It is crazy.

1 Like

I think this probably happens a lot. My kid certainly could have been more strategic with the timing of weighted classes, but we didn’t read about how UCs calculate GPA until after jr year classes were set, so it was too late at that point. However, in the end, this would only amt to a relatively small change in the GPA calculation (~0.1), and while UCs are very numbers oriented, I tend to think they view those small differences as exactly that: small differences. The ECs, essays, etc are what will differentiate students within a GPA range. I think people tend to think that the 4.3 will always beat the 4.2 in admissions, but in the big picture, that difference is not enough to say one kid will be more successful than the other at college.

7 Likes

Thanks! And great first post!

There was a jump from ~ 108k to ~ 139k in apps, but the non-SAT/ACT consideration enabled more to apply. Are the extra 30k better qualified as candidates for entry w/o scores or necessarily on the same level? I don’t think that necessarily follows.

2 Likes

I applied undeclared in the college of L&S. does this mean that getting in will be a little bit easier for me given that I didn’t apply to a specific major?

It’s not only the GPA that is affected but also the number of Honors/AP classes in grades 10-12 that they apparently care so much about that admission statistics per # of such classes is included. My kid took Alg2/Trig H and Analysis H classes in 8th and 9th grade, respectively so they will not be counted against this total number which may bring his chances for admission lower if they just go by the numbers

No. But easier than if you applied to the college of engineering.

The UCs are still an incredible deal in higher education. In addition to having the most high schoolers in any state in the nation, they make it very easy to apply to all or many of the UCs. I think many of the seniors take a shot at UCLA because why not, its UCLA.

2 Likes

what time are decisions released ?

I saw a source that said around 5 pm.

Yep. Totally agree. We’re OOS but if we were instate, I don’t think we’d pass up the chance to go to UCLA…Instate tuition is awesome, high caliber school, great location.

2 Likes

Yep instate is awesome. One of my friends goes there and with covid she only payed around 20k in tuition which is simply amazing when you look at other UCLA level schools especially privates.

2 Likes

14k instate.

20k including all fees/materials needed tuition is 14k

My parents graduated from UCLA in 1966. They paid $68 per semester and commuted from home. He told us that when they raised fees to $71 there were “protests in the streets.” :joy:

11 Likes