UCLA Class of 2025 Waitlist Discussion

In my school there was like 7 who got in and I know that more than half are not going

1 Like

of course the admissions officers cannot and would not disclose any info to us waitlisters. they are obligated to say what the school tells them because frankly they can get in trouble if they disclose any specific info, such as speculated stats and dates. the same thing happened back when we though the normal decisions would come out. they just kept saying on or before march 30th even though we all called in and knew they were coming out march 19th.

1 Like

besides the one kid whoā€™s going to UCLA, of the 19 other kids, not all of them have formally declined UCLA yet, despite themselves knowing theyā€™re not going to UCLA. So its possible UCLA admissions wakes up on May 2 that they have very large gaps in their freshman class. obviously my high school is just one high school, but with test optional our Berkeley acceptances this year skyrocketed, and every single kid admitted to Berkeley was admitted to UCLA and wonā€™t be attending UCLA.

2 Likes

do u know y everyone was choosing Berkeley over UCLA?

I would say probably the dual factors of 1. prestige and 2. we live and LA and people probably want to see other cities. At my school at least, Berkeley is seen as being a step above UCLA, even for majors where that simply isnā€™t true.

2 Likes

gotcha yeah I am committed to Cal rn but just worried for premed the grade deflation wonā€™t be too good. plus ucla has a med school

1 Like

Berkeley used to be much harder to get into than UCLA.

1 Like

My son is committed to Cal also and intends to go to med school. We live in LA and heā€™s a beach kid so he has a slight preference for UCLA. I donā€™t know why others chose Berkeley over UCLA, except 1 kid just wants to go to a different school from his brother who is at UCLA.

1 Like

a significant number of kids at my HS are for premed too and thereā€™s sort of a group consensus that Cal is the better choice over UCLA specifically for premed. Not sure how true that actually is, but they want the option of being able to apply to the UC med schools like UCSD and UCLA as well as shotgunning med school apps to extreme reaches like Harvard and Stanford med, and the numbers definitely support Calā€™s dominance over UCLA in that area. For grade deflation Cal is on par with UCLA and thereā€™s no real difference there. Keep in mind these are just my HS 18 year old friends telling me this info, but they seem really satisfied with their choice so I 100% think u made the right choice especially for premed

1 Like

thank you! I was also considering UCSB but it seems like they do not have too many opportunities, being that it is a small beach town and not a city.

My son was also strongly considering UCSB as a premed. We know several people who went there and loved it, including my husband who is now a physician. My son was really torn between Cal and UCSB but in the end, I think Cal is the better call for premed between those two schools.

2 Likes

So is there any news on when itā€™s gonna be?

1 Like

My bets on May 1 8 am, gonna have to commit after that

1 Like

same position as you where you thinking?

1 Like

why would cal be considered the better school for pre-med? itā€™s a dangerous area, has no medical school, expensive cost of living, grade deflation, competitive research/club culture, etc. ig iā€™m biased because everyone around me who went to cal with the hopes of going to medical school failed.

2 Likes

OOS students usually have lower yield rates so that does not even make sense. Most OOS students have to pay higher tuition and are not offered financial aid. If you look at UCLA Zeemee chat many OOS students are complaining about the high tuition and thus are not going to attend. So perhaps it is just your circle who is able to pay as the majority of OOS students cannot afford the tuition cost.

Isnā€™t commitment before 11:59 pm? Why 8?

Somebody poke UCLA with a stick pls

5 Likes

I feel the same, but maybe itā€™s because they know how many outstanding responses there are, and if they will fall short. Assuming they want to fill the class as soon as possible, they would start reaching the waitlist. I donā€™t know. Itā€™s all speculation and will be until itā€™s not. Good luck!

2 Likes

I also heard that the portal updates a day or two before you get the actual email! Good luck everyone!

2 Likes