UCLA Class of 2026 Waitlist/Appeal Discussion

Hello, I read some official data from UC and realized that there is a 12% decline for 2022/2026 transfer-applications. Does this mean, from business(it is a bz, besides education) consideration, they may give more spots to freshman, for example, off more from WLs, given that more residential dorms are available…From business of view, UCLA does have incentive to fill more freshman students(good enough ones from WL).

Does my logic make sense?

1 Like

Since my daughter got WL by UCLA, which is her dream school. I tried to figure out the WL off data model. My current conclusion is: 2022/2026 Off-WL percentage may be between 2020/2024 --2021/2025. If ideal, it would be same as 2019/2023. My model is:

• The reason why 2020/2024 is 19%: Lots of students chose Gap year. And also, because of campus shut down and remote-classing, UCLA can **host more students and needs more, from money/tuituion consideration. (Please consider this all as a business…Money matters)
  • Last year, the Off-WL is very bad: Because majority of Gap students only chose Gap one year(it would be crazy for 2 years Gap…). So, no enough residential dorms are available. This model is always decided by “Available Dorms”.
  • This year, things get tricky and interesting. The reason why 12% decline of transfer-application is: For 2020 Gap community students, they resumed their study on 2021, and only finished their first year, hence not eligable for transfering to 4 year univ, e.g., UCLA yet.

I assume that this year’s Off-WL from UCLA will go back to 10%-15% or so. Also, Stanford, Princeton, Yale seems all admit MORE freshman this year. So, I assume that any kids who get top Ivys, may usually give up UCLA or/and UCB.

5 Likes

UCLA never allowed incoming freshman in 2020 to take a gap year and maintain their admission status, even during Covid. We know because my daughter wanted to take one. They could only decline their acceptance and reapply the next year or take a break in instruction after one quarter.

2 Likes

Thank, Carina. Then it is hard to explain why the WL-Off is 19% high in 2020. If UCLA did NOT allow any Gap even during Covid period, then the only clue is: because of online coursing and shutdown campus, UCLA can offord more students?

If I’m not mistaken, UC enrollment numbers are set early on through a high level process involving regents committees, etc. UCLA would not have increased online enrollment late in the process. It’s possible that a higher number of students than is typical did not enroll at UCLA because it was online and it wasn’t worth it to them so they did other things. Just speculating. I think it is not possible to predict WL outcomes and people shouldn’t get their hopes up at all. Better to focus attention on the options that are already on the table.

6 Likes

Yes I think it was exactly that. Kids weren’t deferring, but they were declining their offers in higher numbers due to Covid complications -online instruction, Job/financial uncertainties, etc. My kid would have deferred if it was an option. But no way was she going to try to apply again in 2021 as there was no guarantee she would be accepted again.

It’s hard not to get our hopes up. My high school senior is on the waitlist for her dream school. The other options are good but not as exciting. While we’ve told her to not get her hopes up I think she secretly is. It’s been such a hard admissions cycle for so many kids. Many of us are just still holding out for some good news.

7 Likes

I get it, but you need to help her get excited about someplace else. You can’t look at 2020 data as a predictor for anything.

UC schools have set targets for freshman and transfer classes. They are not interchangeable- freshman and transfer students take different courses. Just because the transfer applicant pool is down does not mean there aren’t plenty of qualified applicants for UCLA to choose from.

(I did not mean to reply to only you on this topic! I hit the last reply button I saw.)

1 Like

Carina - My daughter is praying and remaining hopeful as well - UCLA is her dream school!

2 Likes

I feel you did have some insights. So, if a girl drop UCLA, usually, they will find a girl from WL. And a student from College of Letter and Science drop UCLA, they will find one from College of Letter and Science. But for your example, if a girl from middle of nowhere county, or urm from Deep South(what you mean…), then they will first find SAME category? Seems like that they already have some sorted list???

My understanding of WL in general is that they tend to be “unsorted”, but I would guess they have the ability to sort the list by a lot of different categories. “First tuba”, “from South Dakota”, “EC in ecology related area”, etc.

And, after they have “the people who said yes by May 1”, they look at the composition of the class they currently have, and then they try to fill the holes in that class from the WL.

It’s not a direct 1 to 1 replacement, but a general “feel” they’re going for in the class. “x% from Plains States, y% from Midwest States” etc. So, the “South Dakota” might be replaced by “Kansas” and still seem to be the same “feel”.

UCLA does not consider race/ethnicity or gender for their admission decisions. AO’s say their selections are generally a continuation of the regular admission process, with consideration given to students’ original scores from application readers and whether their intended areas of study fill enrollment holes that year along with the waitlist essay and updated course/grades.

1 Like

UC specifically, does anyone know of cases where they ask for second semester senior year grades prior to making/issuing wait list decisions? Yes, this would not be the case for may decisions but curious about mid June decisions…

Have 2 b’s right now and just curious if I need to sequester my social life and move them up to A’s.

As background: I have 2 choices right now that I am happy with but there is 1 UC that is my absolute dream school. The worries/what if’s are starting…

I am unaware of any UC’s that ask for 2nd semester Senior grades as part of their waitlist evaluation, only 1st semester Senior grades for the UC’s that allow such documentation to be submitted such as UCLA.

1 Like

My daughter is waitlisted at UCLA. A few days ago she received an award at the California State Science Fair. Is there a way to update her application at this point?

The deadline to update the waitlist information was April 15.

1 Like

That seems kind of tragic because it’s actually a major achievement and the culmination of years of work.

Unfortunately, the schools need to have some kind of deadline since they need to spend time reviewing all the waitlist essays submitted so they cannot continue to have additional documentation submitted. The majority of the UC’s do not allow waitlisted students to even submit an essay, Senior grades etc… to aid in their re-evaluation of the waitlisted students.

4 Likes

I would suggest that your daughter sent an email to her local region AO anyway. Does not hurt at all. I believe they READ emails.

1 Like

Yes, I think she did send an email. It sounds like it won’t help at this point, but it I suppose it can’t hurt. Best of luck to everyone! Exciting times.