UCLA Freshman Class of 2027 Waitlist/Appeal Thread

There is a National Student Clearing house database which has all college records so she will have disclose the course and grade upon enrolling at any college.

2 Likes

I know another kid with similar stats that didnā€™t get in, didnā€™t even get waitlisted. Iā€™m convinced itā€™s not just stats, itā€™s luck as well.

Your kid definitely deserved to get in, and may get in off the wait list.

1 Like

Last year UCLA admitted 367 students from the waitlist.

Edited to remove that all were OOS which is inaccurate.

2022 UC waitlist

UCB:
Offers: 8,456
Admits: 44

UCD:
Offers: 19,263
Admits: 338

UCI:
Offers: 23,904
Admits: 4,818

UCLA:
Offers: 16,979
Admits: 367

UCR:
Offers: ?
Admits: 2,295

UCSB:
Offers: 16,340
Admits: 2,793

UCSC:
Offers: 18,136
Admits: 1,581

UCSD:
Offers: 36,137
Admits: 2,401

2 Likes

Wow. Is that true all waitlist admits were from OOS? I would think that makes sense as more OOS students drop out due to high tuition whereas no IS students would after the extra admits give out taking into account yield for IS students.

Last year, there were some in-state admits posting on CC and Reddit so not sure where the @Gogolazytown got that information.

Oh god. Please donā€™t let that be true about zero IS waitlist admits. If so, then thereā€™s no hope. Can anyone chime in to prove it wrong? Does anyone know someone IS who got in?

All the data for the waitlist numbers that I have compiled have never broken out the admits by residency so I do not know where the information came from posted by @Gogolazytown about UCLA. The UCLA waitlist numbers are correct but not the assumption that only OOS admits make up all the admits.

The rest of the waitlist numbers can be found on each UC CDS section C7 which correspond to the numbers I posted on each UC waitlist discussion thread.

1 Like

I think for an in-state student from UCLA to be pulled from the waitlist would be like a miracle, or being struck by lightening. Of COURSE UCLA would pull more OOS from the waitlist instead, until their state alloted percentage of OOS is completely filled up with no attrition. Thatā€™s $70K/year instead of between $0-17K/yr (in state tuition, depending on family income). Basically UCLA auctions off OOS seats to the highest bidder until the very end in early August. But this year COULD be different as CA is starting to frown upon UCLA with 25% OOS while schools like UT Austin in TX are limited to only 10% OOS. . .

1 Like

Oh! Thatā€™s what I read in other college forum. So that information is wrong I guess. Iā€™m so sorry for the confusion :sweat_smile:

I have edited your original post. Always go to the source for the most accurate information which is the common dataset and it does not breakout admits by residency.

That is true. Most OOS is full pay, unfortunately, unless they get a scholarship.

I feel for you as these Kids work so hard and they do not get what they deserve. Has he applied to UCB . Hopefully he gets in UCB

@phemrajani I have been meaning to post something in the Caltech thread but I think itā€™s appropriate to post here too.
My HS senior son would have loved to play Div3 soccer at an academically strong college. Because of his intended major is mechanical engineering, it significantly limited his choices of soccer programs. He interacted with the Caltech coach since winter of 2021 but unfortunately did not make to the final short list as a recruited athlete. He is taking Chem and Physics Honors this year because coach suggested that would would look the best for course rigor even though he really had to do some tweaking to make that happen (his school does not like students double in honors science). He spent a lot of time working on his application, submitted research portfolio plus makers portfolio. In the end, he was rejected unsurprisingly. Of course his main goal for college first and foremost is to gain acceptance at a great college for engineering therefore he applied widely all over the country, with ample amount of safety schools and now has some good options. He has been accepted for Mech E/school of engineering at Purdue, UIUC, UW (Seattle), WPI, RIT, Cal Poly SLO (and 5 other CSUā€™s), UCM, UCR, UCI, UCLA, accepted at UCSD for second choice major - applied math. He is waitlisted at UCD, UCSB. He considers himself very lucky especially compared to some friends, who got waitlisted at most UCā€™s. One of them has UCD as his only college acceptance so far (waitlisted or rejected at all other which released decisions, including other UCā€™s), despite of being bronze medalist for USAMO and USAPhO in 2022.
@LionsTigersAndBears @Gumbymom are right that there are way too many applicants for available seats at most UCā€™s.
With this is my second and last round of going through college app with my kids, I totally realized how much advantage recruited athletes have. Son has a club teammate recruited by UCB and he was all done/accepted/committed last October before the rest of the team even submitted their UC apps. He also has a school teammate obtained recruited athlete status at Johns Hopkins, accepted/committed with EDII, where my non-recruited applicant flat-out rejected:)
Some days, he says that he wished he can play soccer better. This is probably his last season playing soccer. Most of the colleges he got in are DI schools where he wonā€™t have a chance to play.
I work at a fairly large institution and over the years, more and more parents are unhappy with their childrenā€™s UC placements. I donā€™t think this is right but I donā€™t really know if there is much that can curb this trend.

1 Like

Does the UCLA waitlist really not close until August?

They will close the waitlist when they have filled the spots. Some years it was June but last year was August. It varies from year to year.

1 Like

I assume they let waitlist students know when it has closed?

Yes, they will close the waitlist and let the students know.

1 Like

I agree the recruited athlete path is a fun way to apply to college. My DS2 was a recruited athlete for the NCAA D1 in 2016. He was ā€œwined and dinedā€ and had overnight visits with the college teamsā€“no $$ per se for his sport (distance track and XC) but a smoother, earlier, and more fun admissions process for the whole family. That said, all the training, workouts, time spent (wasted?), grueling competitions, and injuries and fears of injury throughout all of high school and college. . .itā€™s trade off. And pretty rare.

1 Like

My kid (also MechE) was not D1 material in her sport, but could have played D3. However, there just werenā€™t great engineering school options for D3 in her sport as she didnā€™t want to do a SLAC 3/2 option. Sheā€™s at a school that is great for her academically and playing on the club team. Sheā€™s so much happy this year, feeling academically challenged in a good way, loving the club experience (which is full of other women who were in the same boat), and having enough time for a social life and exploring the city on weekends. The D1 club teams are full of kids just like your child who selected schools based upon their academics and still want to have a meaningful connection to their sport.

4 Likes

what is OOS?

1 Like