UCLA vs UC Berkeley

Hi all! I am an oos student from Georgia that was recently admitted into both UCLA and UC Berkeley. It is to my understanding that UC Berkeley is the more prestigious UC, however, I find that the pictures of the campus seem rather dull and UCLA’s campus/student life seems far more happier than that of Berkeley’s. I also see that the two schools are ranked pretty much the same. I am majoring in biological sciences (w/ a minor in Spanish and CS) but would hopefully like to switch into Biological Engineering. I also have a great interest in going into acting. With that said which school is better in terms if being able to switch into engineering, campus life, overall happiness of the students, opportunities for acting (yes it seems that UCLA would be the obvious choice but I’ve learned that Berkeley offers acting classes for free to their students), and professors?

If you are in the L&S division at either UCB or UCLA, switching to an engineering major is very difficult and competitive.

https://engineering.berkeley.edu/admissions/undergrad-admissions/change-college
https://www.seasoasa.ucla.edu/ls-to-engineering/

If you have admission to Georgia Tech, go there at in-state price; you get one free change of major at Georgia Tech:

http://admission.gatech.edu/change-major

Also, if you are pre-med, it is a good idea to save your money for medical school and stay close to your in-state public medical schools so that you can easily interview there when you start applying.

I live near UCLA, the students in UCLA definitely have a balance between social life and academics. My friends attending UCLA report to be less stressed (sort of less pressure? Idk, it’s the feeling they are giving me) than the ones in UCB. Well, the area already sort of advocates for itself. LA is more social than Berkeley.
Also, the film school in UCLA is really famous! I’m not sure about Berkeley programs though.

Biggest difference is Berkeley is on semester system and UCLA is on quarter system.

Bay Area you can get around everywhere on public transit with no car. LA transportation sucks.

You should visit each if you’re dropping OOS money.

At the UNDERGRAD level, the quality, reputation, “prestige” are nearly identical at UCLA and UC Berkeley (and I say that as a Berkeley alum). As mentioned above, the most significant academic difference is that UCLA is on a quarter system while Berkeley is on a semester system. Westwood and Berkeley are also very different cities.

Also, it is very, very difficult to switch into engineering at either place. If you really have your heart set on engineering, neither may be wise options.

And for someone coming from out of state (especially the South), the weather is very different. Winter can be very cold and gloomy in the Bay Area.

@Sanfran49cisco Another Cal alum chiming in - the Berkeley campus is far from dull. You have landmarks like the Campenile and views of the Golden Gate Bridge and SF in the distance. There is quite a mixture of architecture, from historic buildings to the new ones in the Engineering area.
With a child at UCLA, I’ve also spent a significant amount of time over the last year getting to know that campus too. UCLA has a beautiful campus with a much more consistent architecture than any UC I’ve visited. The housing guarantee at UCLA is much better at 3 years and the on-campus housing situation there much better IMO. From walking around the UCLA and Cal, it’s my impression that the students at UCLA look happier and less stressed; however, the kids we know going to Berkeley all seem to enjoy their time there.
You mentioned minoring in CS - if you decided to switch your major to CS, Berkeley’s CS major in L&S would be a better option for you.
You should visit each school if you can. Both are great.

OP: What are your other college options ? Paying full tuition as an out-of-state student at UCs may not be wise if the University of Georgia and/or Georgia Tech are options at a very small cost.

Winter is NOT cold and gloomy in the Bay Area. It’s mostly sunny with almost no rain. I wear shorts and run most days and I’m not a cold weather person.

I think southern California actually had more (and much more severe) storms this year, and the Bay Area is noted for its microclimates. What I get at home in Berkeley and what I get at work in SF can be many degrees apart.

I have only gotten into the University of Georgia, UCLA, and UC Berkeley. I got into engineering at UGA, however, more than half of my grade was accepted into UGA and it really does not seem like a very good school to me. I tutored second year students at UGA in Calculus and chemistry as a high school junior and seems like they do not really care about education there (not to mention it’s like the #2 party school in the country).

You should consider visiting the schools. I used to think UCSD was my dream school until I visited and hated it, going by pictures and acceptance rates or whats cool to do around the school is different than actually seeing how you feel on campus. You wont know if you like the vibe or feel until you actually set foot there. Many people go to Berkeley or UCLA for the name and don’t know much about the school and end up as lifeless zombies. Don’t pick a college based on prestige as you may end up miserable at that school in the end. Berkeley and UCLA are huge schools and they’re filled to its capacity, switching majors especially into the engineering school would not be easy, and if you’re not sure what you want to do it could be a waste of money. Also, each school is what you make of it, it doesn’t matter if you feel as though those around you don’t care as long as you do and you take your education seriously you’ll do great wherever you go. Best of luck in making a decision and hope it was helpful!

@jacles7 I agree about visiting the schools. UCSD was a top choice until we visited. It looks great in brochures but the feel on campus is very different.

I spent four years at Berkeley because it was the only UC that had my graduate program. It took some time getting used to but eventually I did. I went from quarter system to semester and that was a big change. I went from southern California to northern California and that was a big change - especially the way northern Californians view southern Californians. Many moons later would I send my kids to Cal? One yes, the other no.

No one can tell you if a school is a good fit for you. It isn’t about rankings or prestige. It is about what is right for you. Visit.

@jacles7 and @lkg4answers

I say this to students all of the time and they don’t get it because ‘why should UCSD not be perfect?’

OP: you have to visit both campuses and the surrounding cities because you have to live, eat, work, play and commute there. If you don’t feel the “vibe and fit”, you won’t be productive for 4 years. All of the UC campuses are vastly different. All of the surrounding communities are “different”. Picture not getting around without a car. Is it a hassle to use public transportation? Is there parking available? Can you access a decent meal off campus? Can you get to inexpensive dorm supplies within a reasonable period of time? (Amazon, local?). You have to live there for 4 years.