UCLA vs UCI

I know some of you are staring at the title going… what really she’s asking that? But I genuinely am.

I got into both schools, and I visited both. I am a Sociology Major, so both schools are fantastic when it comes to my major. However, I’m torn.

I love LA dearly, and want to be there. UCI had the kind of safe, comfortable environment I enjoy. It had lots of food places, good weather, clean organized campus. It seemed very relaxed, which is my style. UCLA on the other hand was… overwhelming? The buildings, the people, the atmosphere, the location. There was so much going on, so much prestige, history. Honestly, I felt like I didn’t deserve to get accepted almost? It felt as though I was at a location where people were so much better than me and more talented, and I just got the lucky draw. UCLA has been my dream school for a while, and I was so amazed and honored to get accepted. I just keep thinking that if I chose UCLA, it would be for prestige and achievement only. I really don’t know much about the school in regards to academics, as most of my tours and visits focused on school life outside of the classroom. Without a doubt, there’s a bunch of opportunities, things to do, and services available from the pamphlets I found, but the details and student experiences I am unaware of.

It’s just I have always been someone who plays it safe in life. My current community college is almost identical to Irvine. It’s super safe, clean, suburban, not much going on whatsoever. And although endlessly boring at times, it’s comfortable. Familiar. I’m wondering if it’s worth it to be uncomfortable just for the “brand” name. Or if Social Science is perhaps better at UCLA than UCI? Etc.

If anyone has had experience with either, please do let me know. I feel like even after visiting both, I still don’t have a clear idea of how I feel in regards to each of them. They both are too large to have any ounce of an idea of what the school is like from walking around for only two hours. And most of my research on the schools just continues to idolize ucla for the brand name.

“… Honestly, I felt like I didn’t deserve to get accepted.” I’m going to stop you right there. You did get accept, and you should feel extremely proud of your accomplishment. Do not ever doubt yourself or feel like you are a small fish in a big pond. No, UCLA has decided to give you admissions because they saw aspects in you that they want to represent UCLA.

UCLA isn’t merely a brand, it is a community and a large family. When you’re on campus, you see how proud students are being a Bruin. It just not the sports, even though we’ve got the most NCAA titles(116 and counting) but why we are Bruins. It is because you are at one of the best universities in the world. Not only is it the best public school in the nation, but UCLA students are perhaps the most well-rounded in the country. You can have an in-depth conversation with somebody about politics but you can also discuss music, fashion, life, and sports with the same person.

It is okay to play it safe, but university life is challenging yourself and becoming a new person. You said it yourself, UCLA has always been your dream school, you’ve come this far don’t let go of that dream.

Best of luck on your decision.

I really appreciate this advice. Thank you for taking the time to write this. Maybe you’re right, I did get in after all, and perhaps they saw something in me I still don’t see in myself yet. Maybe I need to take this challenge.

Do you know any current students at each school you can reach out to? As one who played it safe going to a small college, close to home – stretch yourself! Both schools are great you can’t go wrong either way.

I have two friends at UCI and two at UCLA! I’ve spoken to them and they all say they love their schools!! It’s so difficult when they all enjoy the schools haha. My friends at UCLA said it was quite difficult but they loved it immensely. My UCI friends seem to have a lot more freetime to do social related things and they reaaaaaally love their school. It’s pretty 50/50 when it comes to my friends’ opinions.

I just keep wondering if it’s dumb to turn down UCLA since I got in. It seems like suicide to turn down such a prestigious school… Everyone around me expects me to attend because it was difficult to get in.

Can I ask if there is any part of YOU that wants to go to UCLA? Or are you considering it because you think everyone else thinks you should go there? What anyone else thinks is totally irrelevant. Is it still your dream school or did your dream change? UCLA is a great school, but it isn’t for everybody. There are plenty of kids that choose not to go there. UCLA is one of those schools where you can certainly get lost in the crowd and actually feel lonely among the masses. Sometimes big schools just feel like too much, I get that, and so do a lot of students that choose smaller or quieter environments. Then, for others, UCLA is the dream school with all that spirit, where they grow and excel, and everything works.

You got in, you deserve to go. You can handle the challenge, don’t doubt yourself in that regard about attending UCLA - go and rock it if you still feel it is your dream school. You just have to decide if it is an environment you will enjoy and a community you will thrive in. If everybody liked the same thing, one college would be really crowded! It is ok to like what you like. UCLA and UCI are very different in terms of spirit and the buzz/activity of the campus. What do you like? What do you want out of college everyday? Where do you want to graduate from?

Giving you more questions than answers, but they are things only you can answer to decide what you want to do. Take out what everyone else thinks and focus on what you really want. Wish you luck!!!

Both are great schools but attending UCLA is a challenge for everyone and it definitely pays off in the future not because of its “brand” name but because of the skills and life long lessons taught there. UCI is challenging for some, but as you mentioned you’d feel more relaxed and comfortable there and honestly I don’t know how to help you, you’re really in a hard situation but here’s the thing UCLA may be tough initially but seeking discomfort and getting out of your comfort zone will 100% strengthen and develop you as a person.

Here’s the thing - you will probably love either one you attend. It sounds like you really like the atmosphere at UCI, and so you’d probably enjoy that a lot of you attended. But you also really love Los Angeles, and you’d grow accustomed to UCLA (probably), so you’ll probably enjoy that too. There’s no wrong choice here: they’re both excellent universities and wonderful places to grow and learn, as well as good places from which to launch a career.

My guess from your post is that you’re not really “overwhelmed” by UCLA in the sense that the atmosphere feels like too much for you; you’re more “overwhelmed” in the sense that you can’t believe you got into somewhere so prestigious and competitive, and you’re feeling a little bit of imposter syndrome - a little bit out of place, a little bit like if you go you’ll be lost in a sea of kids who are smarter and better than you.

Like someone else already said, I’d shake that feeling right off. You are good enough to go and thrive at UCLA, if you want! You can go and do wonderfully there, and live up to all the prestige and achievement they have. You deserve it. So don’t let a fear of being undeserving or not up to the challenge hold you back - because if you’ve been admitted, then you’re able to do it.

The question for you to answer, I think, is what environment you want to be in for the foreseeable future. There’s nothing inherently wrong with liking the familiar and wanting to stay in that - and that’s not a bad thing to want for college, either. Plenty of people have happy, successful, and fulfilling lives by going to the college or university nearby their home (or that’s similar to environments they’ve already thrived in). You don’t have to go far away or go to an environment that’s less familiar to you in order to push yourself or take initiative or ambition. While environment does influence that, that’s more about mindset than anything else.

Buuuuut there is something about being in a brand new, unfamiliar, maybe even slightly uncomfortable environment that can give you that little extra push…in some people. And given what you say about your prior experiences, UCLA might be the kind of place that can open your eyes to possibilities you didn’t really fathom or dream of before. Sometimes being in a new place - especially a new, prestigious place full of high-achieving kids - can do that for you.

I will say that I don’t think any further research on the student life or academics will necessarily help you make the decision. Not that you should stop doing it, but this seems like it’s more of an internal decision than it is due to you missing any information on your part.

@CADREAMIN there are parts of me that want to go but they are mostly my desires to be in la (a dream of mine) and to have the name of the school as a means of connections. however, ive only visited once and it didn’t really give me much info in how student life is throughout the year, how my major is at the school, and more specifics that are important to me. none of my college visits really did justice as the tours were so … marketed? that’s why i’m so lost in deciding as i really don’t think i got much of any feel about what the schools are like. i’m unable to visit them on weekdays when school is in session, so the only times i have gone were doing the weekend when nothing was going on.

@juillet you’re correct. the way you phrased my emotions is so accurate. i’m feeling a bit lost, terrified, and more like a small fish in a huge pond, as i’ve been so used to the reverse. you may be right, perhaps ive researched enough and now it’s more my own internal struggles. but there are some things i’m uncertain of, as most student reviews are so starkly different and opposite that i have no idea what the school is actually like when basing my views off previous students. while some rave about it, others mention the lack of resources and difficulty and imposter syndrome never ending.

How far are you from UCLA and UCI? When is your decision deadline?

@CADREAMIN I am 30 minutes from UCLA and an hour and 30 minutes from UCI. I am actually visiting both of them one more time this weekend, but I’m unsure what I plan to do other than walk around, go into some buildings, and maybe speak with admin if they are there?

@CADREAMIN my deadline is June 1st

My daughter had similar feeling 3 years ago deciding between UCLA and LMU. With a premed intention she was so scared not gaining high GPA in UCLA. Finally she enrolled in UCLA and now gratuating in 3 years with a high GPA of 3.92 this quarter. Of course it was not easy. She had many sleepless nights! But with HARD WORK anything is possible!
Disclaimer: as a Regents Scholar she had some advantage over others (in class pre-enrollments)

You can get a quality education at either one, and your opportunities afterward will depend far more on what you did there than on which one you went to. For Soci, you probably won’t see a meaningful difference by looking at the coursework that’s available. So I would suggest:

1. Look up the Sociology faculty and what research they are doing. A university’s overall “reputation” is based on a gazillion things that you will never, ever be directly connected to… what you gain from the experience will hinge on which very few things you get deeply involved in. If you see a particular research initiative going on that you would love to be a part of, follow that interest, no matter which school it’s at. Maybe even contact a few profs whose research you would want to get involved in - it’s not a good time of year for getting responses, so a non-response shouldn’t be a deal-killer, but if someone is particularly responsive and encouraging, bingo!

2. Since you can get a top-notch social sciences education at either place… how are you going to spend your extracurricular time? Which school is a fit for you in that regard. I mean, suppose you went to UCI and joined the Dragon Boat team, and developed this whole great social life around that? Could you get that at UCLA? No. And there are things UCLA has that UCI doesn’t. At this point, anything that’s important to you is a perfectly fine basis for a decision, because you really can’t go wrong on the basics. You only have two years to put down roots on the campus you choose, so having particular ways to get involved already in mind will help a lot. Go where you can see a clear path to finding your niche.

Don’t worry too much about the “gravitas” aspect. In a field like Soci, you’re going to need a grad degree anyway, and the spotlight will be on where you get your grad degree. It’s true that getting out of your comfort zone can be a growth opportunity, but there always needs to be balance in life between setting yourself up with a secure base, and taking opportunities to stretch and take risks. The way those things balance will be different at these two schools, but that doesn’t automatically mean that the one with the less secure-feeling base is better. Think about what kind of challenges you want to focus on - how you want to allocate your energy. If the idea of UCLA is exciting-but-a-little-scary, that could be just the kind of challenge you need. If it’s more of a “people say I should jump off this cliff, and I really don’t want to but I’ll be embarrassed if I don’t” feeling… don’t do it for that reason.

Conversely, as others have said, don’t back away from the scarier option because you doubt yourself. You have earned both of these opportunities and you are 100% qualified for whichever one you choose.

To think of turning down UCLA as “suicide” at this stage is hyperbole to say the least; a year from now you may already be getting ready to apply to grad schools, and UCLA will still be there! When it comes to grad school admissions, you’ll want to have chosen the transfer school where you can get involved in research the most quickly (because research experience matters) and log a strong junior-year academic record. Community college was a stepping stone, and this next step will be too. (I’m not presupposing that either school is better in this way - definitely look into your prospects for research involvement at both schools, as I said earlier.) Additionally… I have no idea what the answer to this question is but maybe someone at the schools can shed light… what’s it going to be like getting the classes you want/need for this coming fall, as an incoming transfer at each school? Can you get your friends who are there to check the portal and see what classes have space available? Are the registration processes different between the two, or the same? You need to hit the ground running as a junior, not waste time because you were “late to the party” and the classes you really needed were full.

Good luck figuring this out. Once you make a decision, no matter which way you go, don’t look back or second-guess yourself - there’s no wrong choice here, and you will make the most of whichever way you go.

Also worth asking: In sociology graduate admissions, does UCLA advantage or disadvantage its own undergrads, or is it neutral? (And same question about UCI’s grad programs, for that matter.)

Some grad programs in the UC system (and elsewhere) specifically discourage their own undergrads from continuing at the same school for grad school. I don’t know whether the UCLA & UCI Sociology departments do this or not, but if one of them is a particular “dream school” for you at the graduate level, then you should get this information before deciding on your transfer school. Of course, there are other top-notch Soci grad programs in the UC system and beyond… but information is good.

@aquapt These are good areas to look into which i will for sure be doing this week! thank you!

Truthfully, i was not actually going to invest myself in that much research as a priority. My priorities were going to be on internships, ec and club activity, and possibly double majoring. Honestly i do not have any clue if grad school is a goal of mine, and focusing on it right now as i am still planning my undergraduate degree pathway is even more stressful than picking a university. As a sociology major, are you saying my chances of being successful after college are basically zero unless i go to graduate school, pursue research, and earn a masters or doctorate?

No, there are plenty of things you can do with a soci BA… it’s just that most people who truly work in the field of sociology have graduate degrees. (And I guess you sounded focused on the field to me, but I’m sorry for assuming.) But if you want to go into the workforce with the bachelor’s, you certainly can, especially if you have gotten internships that get you started in a particular practical direction. And as general social sciences degrees go, it’s a great one for giving you a good overview of how social systems work - good insight to have for many fields of work.

My own d is still debating whether/when to apply to soci grad programs; she graduated last year and is working as a research coordinator on a bioethics research team. She considered doing the recruitment process for consulting, and has friends with social sciences degrees who are doing that. (Interesting work, but lonnnng hours and lots of travel.) She has other friends with similar degrees who are working for nonprofits. I’m sure there are many more possibilities. Maybe look into career services and job placement stuff at both schools. I would say that if you can manage a little research experience, it is a really good thing to be exposed to since it’s really the foundation of the field you’re studying. But it doesn’t need to be at a “take over your life” kind of level.

Anyway, sorry, I didn’t mean to stress you out with the grad school stuff! Even if it’s something you might eventually be interested in, it definitely doesn’t need to be something you do directly out of undergrad - gaining some real world experience first is often the best idea, and then once you’re in the real world, you’re better equipped to decide whether grad school is even something you want or need to consider. (Not to mention the other grad school alternatives besides soci - lots of soci grads study law, business, public health, etc.) But yeah, focus on the best possible undergrad experience for now!

@aquapt no you didn’t overwhelm me at all! I actually am always curious about these kinds of questions and I constantly hear opposing sides of the “social science degree” debate where some think it’s useless. I really do appreciate the information, especially about grad school. Maybe I’ll try research for a quarter :)! See how it goes. Thank you, and don’t worry. You gave me such good information about all this!!

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice. I decided to commit to UCLA :slight_smile: