UCs check for cheating?

<p>Does anyone know? I was told that if colleges ask if the student it cheating or not the school has to give the colleges an response, but UCs never ask.</p>

<p>Yes, they DO! The UC's randomly audit ~10% of the applicant pool. If selected for audit, the student must provide "proof" of everything on that app.</p>

<p>this might sound dumb. but how would you provide "proof" on something like that?
would you need to get a counselor to write a letter on letterhead stationary or something?</p>

<p>They pick 10% ask for EVERYTHING on their application? I mean you can verify your volunteer hours but clubs and stuff?</p>

<p>Yup, EVERYthing.</p>

<p>Did you get asked?</p>

<p>i didnt even know they told the student they were chosen for audits.
i thought they just did secret little checks without telling the applicant</p>

<p>Nah, I'm a parent. A neighbor's kid was asked last year, and had to go thru the process.</p>

<p>So when do they ask you? Like in March? Also did he just sent in letters or something?</p>

<p>This is straight from the UC website:</p>

<p>"In addition to the post-admission verification, the University conducts a pre-admissions verification with a random sample of applicants, who are notified in early January that they must submit verification documents in order to be considered for admission. Applicants may be asked to verify an item from one of the following application sections: Awards/Honors, Extracurricular Activities, Community Service, Educational Participation Programs (formerly Special Program Participation), Work Experience, Academic History and the Personal Statement. Falsification is the basis for a denial or revocation of admission to the University. Failure to submit the required documentation by the deadline will result in applications being withdrawn from further admission consideration at all campuses."</p>

<p>how do you verify a personal statement?</p>

<p>(e.g. you described a financial problem in your personal statement, provide proof. you said you were mentioned in a newspaper, provide the newspaper article. you said you had an injury during 9th grade affecting school performance, provide the doctor's note. you said you... etc.. etc.)</p>

<p>So it's not the WHOLE application, just a random part?</p>

<p>Yes just a random part. You do not need to verify EVERYTHING</p>

<p>What did the UC require the person to prove?</p>

<p>I have a hard time believing they would expect parents to just hand over their bank statements to verify something like financial hardship. </p>

<p>This whole thing sounds pretty theoretical... just in words to keep everyone honest. I mean if you fabricated something about starting a local club you could just as easily fabricate some letterhead "proving" it, yet that would be good enough for them. With such tight budgets and huge applicant pools, exactly how far do you think the UC would go to verify the authenticity of such a thing?</p>

<p>Some things cannot be verified... say you volunteered somewhere... since you're not getting paid there certainly isn't much need for documentation of it is there? Would the UC really go to such lengths to hold somebody to such details? I very seriously doubt it.</p>

<p>For things like volunteer experiences and whatnot, you ask the person/organization you worked with to write a letter to the UCs as proof. For financial issues, they would only be likely to ask for proof if you're applying to their financial aid programs, in which case they're certainly entitled to make sure you're eligible. The only thing I'm not clear on is whether or not YOU or the UCs get to pick which section or object from your apps that is needed to be verified.</p>

<p>pretty sure its UCs^</p>

<p>u can have only one true thing on your app and pick that if it were up to you to choose what is to be verified.</p>

<p>Lol, good, i was gonna exaggerate like 5 extracurricular hours but decided it's not worth it.</p>

<p>where do you guys get the idea that we get to pick & verify one??</p>

<p>thats how they do it....</p>

<p>and i also heard that the verification is just for freshmen and not transfers.... maybe its because transfers need to update Fall grades and Planned courses for spring...... so far I have NEVER heard of any transfer applicant to have been asked to verify EC's. can anyone back this claim up??</p>