UCSB OOS standards vs in state

I just found out that UC schools are actually harder for OOS students after being told for years by my CA friends that it harder for in state kids. Is it true that OOS kids need better scores, grades or just are held to a higher standard? P

Sounds like a question for Gumbymom.

Here’s an exchange I had a few months ago:

1 Like

This was my question:

1 Like

@2Mom14: In general, yes an OOS applicant usually needs a higher GPA to be admitted to the top UC’s but UC’s like UCSC, UCR and UCM have not met the 18% enrollment cap, so they would be an easier admit.

UCLA use to break out their Freshman admit GPA ranges by in-state, OOS and International (no longer posted on their website) and the OOS/International GPA was always higher than in-state. I have not found any data from the UC’s that shows the GPA admit differences in-state vs. OOS currently.

The UC admit rates with the exception of UCB and UCLA are much higher for OOS applicants but this is due to lower matriculation (yield) rates and costs are usually the reason.

OOS applicants are in a different application pool so the strength of that pool is important and will also affect an an applicants decision.

UCSB has a nice table that shows overall GPA averages for applied, admitted and enrolled GPA’s. Also on the table is the average GPA for enrolled students in each College.

2 Likes

It really depends on how you define “harder” and how your friends define “harder.”

3 Likes