Any chance for UCR & UCSB

Hello!
My daughter’s UC capped GPA is 4.0 and and her SAT score is 1380. She will have 9 AP courses completed by her senior year. She has been a class officer for her grade level for three consecutive years and is a member of a few clubs at school. She has teacher assistant experiences in the past three summers. She was a JV in the girl swim team for two years. Her essays look pretty good so far.
She plans to apply for UCR’s business administration major with concentration in accounting and UCSB economic & accounting major.

With the 2019 UC admission data, how are her chances for both schools?

Best guess is 75% chance for UC Riverside and less than 25% chance for UC Santa Barbara (FYI - UCSB had 93423 applications last year and only accepted 30% of the CA residents). If you are OOS or International, slightly better odds.

Hi! Just wondering how you come up with 75% chance? Thank you!

2018 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 3.80-4.19 capped weighted and not major specific:
UCB: 10%
UCLA: 9%
UCSD: 34%
UCSB: 38%
UCD: 41%
UCI: 38%
UCSC: 70%
UCR: 84%
UCM: 95%

2019 Data:
25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:
UCB: 1340-1540

UCLA: 1330-1550
UCSD: 1300-1520
UCSB: 1280-1520
UCD: 1230-1490
UCI: 1250-1510
UCSC: 1200-1450
UCR: 1130-1400
UCM: 1020-1290

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages:
UCB: 4.23
UCLA: 4.25
UCSD: 4.23
UCSB: 4.16
UCI: 4.13
UCD: 4.13
UCSC: 3.96
UCR: 3.90
UCM: 3.73

2019 admit rates are not yet available for the UC’s, but there was an increase in overall averages for the Capped weighted UC GPA and test scores for all the campuses, I would say that @socaldad2002 predictions are probably very close.

I would have her apply to UC Santa Cruz also.

Thank you for your reply! Would UCR be my daughter’s safety school or match school?

I would call UCR for her a low match/high safety. I personally would pick another college as a “true” safety. The UCs can be unpredictable and I would maybe look at a few CSUs as safeties (other than SDSU, Long Beach State, and the two Cal Poly schools). Better to be safe than sorry come next spring.

Note that your daughter, if admitted to UCR or UCSB, would not be admitted directly to UCR’s business school or UCSB’s econ accounting. She would be admitted respectively to the pre business or pre econ accounting programs if admitted as a freshman. She would then take the course requirements and apply during her sophomore year for junior status, respectively, to the business school or econ accounting. I believe the GPA for admission to business is 2.7 (old from 2012 and may be obsolete) and 2.85 for econ accounting. Consider a backup major if not admitted.

I agree with @socaldad2002 assessment that UCR is not a safety school for Business. Definitely consider some of the CSU’s for safety schools and apply widely.

Based on her UC capped GPA and SAT score, would you suggest her to apply UCSD and UCSB anyway, knowing that her chance of acceptance is low? I ask this question base on the money aspect as to save application fees.

There is no harm in applying to UCSD and/or UCSB since UC admissions can be unpredictable. If costs are an issue, UCSB would make more sense than UCSD due to her intended major. I would suggest UCI over these 2 schools since UCI does have an Business Admin major with Accounting.

Unlike UCR and UCSB, your daughtert can be admitted to the UCI business school as a freshman, but it is very competitive to get in.