UCSB Research Mentorship Program - 2023

Hi! There was no thread for UCSB RMP '23 so I decided to create one :smiley: I recently got in, and am excited to meet others who are applying/got accepted :smiley:

3 Likes

Congrats. My son is still waiting for the decision. It has been only 1 week since his teacher submitted LOR. He is a Sophomore and applying for SRA now as a backup.

1 Like

@ Hotpeepocheeto Congratulations - thats great news - could you please provide stats / did you attend an interview ?

1 Like

I got an interview 10 days after receiving an ā€œapplication under review messageā€. I have a 4.0 UW/~4.7W (7 AP classes, all Honors classes), 100+ volunteering experience, previous research, small olympiads/competitions, various passion projects (not really significant, but I think they showed my all-roundedness and personality). I really think it was my previous research experience, essays, and overall visible passion for science that got me in.

1 Like

how long after the interview did you get your desicion?

Congrats!
What grade are you?
Could you explain what supplementals are?

1 Like

After 6 days I got my acceptance.
@dongrae I am a junior and I donā€™t believe there are any supplementals this year? I didnā€™t submit any and there was no information in regards to them.

1 Like

Congrats! Your stats and ECs are impressive.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Hello, I was recently accepted into the program. If anyone wants to join a discord, I have made a server for the 2023 UCSB RMP acceptees. Discord

1 Like

congrats on your acceptance! do you mind sharing when you applied and whether there was an interview + email request for supplemental materials?

1 Like

Yes I applied in mid-January, as soon as my school released the transcripts that included the fall semester. There was an interview request, about 10 days after, and the decision came 7 days after the interview. No, I didnā€™t get a request for supplemental materials.

1 Like

thank you!

I have an interview tomorrow and Iā€™m wondering if anyone knows whether the questions will be similar to previous yearsā€™ interviews.

Expect similar questions like last year.

1 Like

:ok_hand:thanks a lot!

1 Like

May I ask when you submitted your application? Thanks!

I submitted it on January 15th. They notified me my application was under review approximately two weeks after my submission and I got my interview request two weeks after that.

2 Likes

Thank you! Good luck with your interview!

1 Like

hello everyone! i was an rmp participant last year and am currently a senior. here are some questions that i remember they asked last year that really threw me off guard.

1. how will you feel if you are not given your top choice project?
  2. what topics are you interested in researching that isnā€™t your first choice?
  3. do you think that you have the academic maturity for this program?
  4. previous research experience?

if you have any questions about the program experience, please donā€™t hesitate to reach out!!!

3 Likes