UCSB vs UCSD Biz/Econ; Prestige, Social Life, & Chance

<p>Okay so heres my situation.</p>

<p>I am transfering in from Irvine Valley College community college as a junior. I have a 3.66 but it will DRASTICALLY drop (I think a 3.42 or a 3.48 at best), so heres what I’m wondering</p>

<p>If I’m (probably) getting my masters at USC (Accounting/Finance Major) Does the pretige of my bachelors matter that much?</p>

<p>Some people call UCSB a joke, what about UCSD? I can’t get into UCLA and I know it. How much worse is it that UCSB?</p>

<p>Will I even be able to be accepted?</p>

<p>Lastly, social life. How terrible is UCSD?</p>

<p>Who says UCSB is a joke?</p>

<p>It’s a prestigious UC university. A lot of people like to tie Davis, Irvine, and SB for the “4th best UC,” but if you look at multiple rankings, SB often does better than the other two.</p>

<p>Anyone who says UCSB is a joke just can’t accept the “party school” side of it (read: close-minded), which is a reputation that I believe to be overblown anyways. It’s such a great academic school as well and it’s a shame that it’s often overlooked. </p>

<p>UCSB has a great social life that extends so much further than the party scene. Even if you don’t party and drink, there are thousands of people who share that lifestyle choice. The fact that the school can handle all sorts of different lifestyles and still manage academic prestige says a lot.</p>

<p>Don’t know enough about UCSD to say anything about it.</p>

<p>SB’s biz-econ program is excellent. UCSD is highly regarded for bio-sci, not biz. It’s econ offerings are no better (or worse) than those of SB. The problem of SB is not the party rep, but your own ability to stay the course, earn excellent grades and turn down all of those parties.</p>

<p>And yes, if you attend any MBA school, your undergrad won’t matter.</p>

<p>You may be able to use that party scene as GPA booster. While everyone is partying their first year or two, you study your *** off and pull a 4.0 by beating the low average.</p>

<p>SB is not a bad school whatsoever. a uc is a uc, is a uc. uc’s are made it be prestige, and although SB can get a bad academic wrap for being a party town, its still a great school. Im torn from there, SD, and SC. SC for the area, SB for the scene and area, SD for the slightly better academic. sooo torn.</p>

<p>but dont be strayed away from SB, its a great school. i have lots of friends that go there and they love it for multiple reasons.</p>

<p>Anyone who thinks SB isn’t a joke is out of their minds.</p>

<p>So, let’s see here now…
UCSB is ranked 12th best public university in the US by USNews and World Report.
UCSB is ranked 35th best university in the world by ARWU.
5 Nobel Prize winners on its faculty.
I don’t think UCSB is the joke on this thread…</p>

<p>I mean UCSB definitely didnt used to be #12 public school obviously. Only about a decade ago it was the easiest UC to get into so it may not have as great of a reputation as most of the other ones. I dont think its a joke, you still go there and learn just like any UC.</p>

<p>People are fast to fixate on the stereotypes. UCSB has a better business/accounting program that is third to Cal/L.A. UCSD has a straight Econ major that is very well regarded but doesn’t have much focus on the Accounting that OP might desire. </p>

<p>And you can definitely boost your GPA at UCSB because of the party scene. This is very good point.</p>