UCSC over CAL and UCSB

<p>i am confused between berkeley, santa cruz and ucsb… i need help…
i really dont know what to do…something about berkeley set me off before last year it was my dream school i m just happy that i got in lol… i am one of the top 12 at my campus but i was still scared i wouldnt get it…but now that i got in…i m seriously confused… i might pick santa cruz over both cal and ucsb…</p>

<p>thats right it was the environment of berkeley that set me off…noisy…ugly housing arrangements soo distracting…and campus in the middle of the city …not my thing… but i dont twant to regret either… i m completely messed up… i need help </p>

<p>i am an econ major i just saw the world class rankings of economics department…
cal ranks the 3rd.
ucsb ranks 34
ucsc ranks 44!!! they are miles apart in rankings but still one of the top 50 worldwide!!! i m not looking to work with power/money mongering financial institutions on wall street…i might endup working for peace corp then something inline with united nations…</p>

<p>If a pretty campus is the main priority, why not UCSB? There is not any compelling difference. Further, UCSB is a bit less gritty and urban than UCSC. </p>

<p>Personally I would pick Cal in a heartbeat.</p>

<h2>UCSC campus gritty and urban? you kidding? You clearly haven’t been there …</h2>

<p>UC Santa Cruz one of Forbes’ most beautiful campuses
By Megha Satyanarayana </p>

<p>SANTA CRUZ — Whether because of the trees, the trails, the ocean views or wildlife, UC Santa Cruz has been named one of the world’s 10 most beautiful colleges by Forbes Magazine.</p>

<p>The school made an international list that includes Oxford, Stanford, Princeton and the University of Bologna.</p>

<h2>In the list, UCSC was called out by Aaron Schwarz of Perkins Eastman, an architecture and design firm, who said its natural setting helps define its character. The business magazine interviewed a panel of designers and architects, many of whom have helped build college campuses.</h2>

<p>Been there several times and been to the surrounding area. Still would put UCSB above it if the concern was urban and threatening environment. My opinion, yours may be different.</p>

<p>Its all opinion … some areas of the city of Santa Cruz are “gritty” especially the area by the Santa Cruz boardwalk and the tourist spots, but those areas are not anywhere near the campus and are not the “surrounding area” … “the surrounding area” of the 2000 acre campus is all wilderness overlooking monterey bay and is very safe … UCB campus is much closer and connected to downtown Berkeley which is very “gritty” … UCSB is a beautiful campus as well but they all have their own issues … seems like a lot of property crimes at that campus … </p>

<p>15 Worst College Crime Areas Started in Parents Forum by Dave_Berry on 04-19-2010
America’s Top College Neighborhoods for Property Crime. “No. 1: U.C. Santa Barbara, Isla Vista, Calif., (Ocean Rd. / El Colegio Rd.), 1,019 property crimes per 1,000 residents.” Over one crime per resident? Anyone here familiar with that neighborhood?</p>

<p>thanks for being so nice and informative XTXN2CAL… you are very helpful.
and its very nice of u to reply to all of my posts and threads lol</p>

<p>Go with the school you like, rankings are not that important for undergrad… If you don’t like CAL then it really doesn’t matter how high it’s ranked because you’ll still be miserable. and honestly after CAL/UCLA prestige and rankings mean ALOT less imo… my top two UC’s are SB and SC as well. </p>

<p>Isla Vista is not a dangerous neighborhood. Most of the “crime” is property crime and theft like bicycles and whatnot. I would never feel unsafe there, it’s a town filled with college kids and right next to UCSB. and plus you can live in Goleta, Mesa, Santa Barbara if you want.</p>

<p>how is ucsb?</p>

<p>If you want to set out into the world with only a Bachelor’s in Economics, then bite the bullet and go to Cal.</p>

<p>If you’re considering getting a graduate degree, then you should go to UCSC since it’s the most beautiful campus out of your three options.</p>

<p>I walk out in IV past midnight all the time, and there are always students there so nothing to worry about and CSOs show up in a snap second if you call. For economics, you’d probably do best with Cal, but UCSB’s economics and accounting(if you’re interested) is wonderful. We’ve got professors who have worked as CPAs and my current professor was offered partership position by KPMG but he rejected it to teach here. Curve does kind of suck though, considering top 6% gets an A, 12% B, etc. Just have to study more than other students is all. UCSB is great, I am enjoying my time here and downtown is extremely beautiful with plenty of activities hosted by the county. I haven’t partied once yet, and dedicate my time mostly to studying and school so it shouldn’t be a problem if you’re worried about that.</p>

<p>isnt the deadline for the sir over?</p>

<p>hey could you tell me more about the curve system please i havent taken a class with that kind of grading policy…more elaboration would do thanks.</p>

<p>hey sir deadline is june 1st for transfers
and may 1st for freshmen</p>

<p>I completely agree with Bothwings. If you plan to cut off your education after undergrad, definitely suck it up and go to Cal. It will open up a LOT more doors for you, both by the connections you make there, and just the Cal name.</p>

<p>However, if you have plans for grad school, where you can potentially go to a better-known school, then definitely go to the undergraduate institution where you will feel most comfortable.</p>

<p>You know your life plans best, if you really think you wouldn’t squeeze every drop out of that Cal degree, then you should just go where you want to. Money does not equate to happiness, after all.</p>

<p>Economics is pretty impacted here, so around the time of last year the economics department implemented a curving policy based on a quota. Here’s an example based on econ financial accounting class and it holds true for all other economics classes(link on bottom). The curve is considered against you, but half the time it won’t even come into effect and its not really a big deal. I study few days ahead of exam and for this class my first midterm taken so far I placed top 2.5% of students so atm I’d be in good standing for an A.
If you think you can handle Cal, def take advantage of it.
[POWERPOINT</a> PRESENTATIONS:](<a href=“http://econ.ucsb.edu/~anderson/Curve_policy.htm]POWERPOINT”>POWERPOINT PRESENTATIONS:)</p>

<p>15 Worst College Crime Areas Started in Parents Forum by Dave_Berry on 04-19-2010
America’s Top College Neighborhoods for Property Crime. “No. 1: U.C. Santa Barbara, Isla Vista, Calif., (Ocean Rd. / El Colegio Rd.), 1,019 property crimes per 1,000 residents.” Over one crime per resident? Anyone here familiar with that neighborhood? </p>

<p>Huh?!? The worst crimes in IV are the occasional fist fight or stolen bike. I’d be more worried walking down Telegraph Avenue at three in the afternoon than through IV at one in the morning. Typical media garbage. Go see it for yourself to decide. You may love it - and UCSB has a stunning locale, campus and student body.</p>

<p>Nice two year bump lol.</p>