UCSD vs. UCD vs. UCSB

<p>So I’m applying to UCLA and UCB. The others–UCSD, UCD, and UCSB–are my safety schools. However, since I’m ELC, and thus automatically into UCD and UCSB, I don’t want to spend the money applying to all three of those as safeties. (I’m not automatically into UCSD; however, considering my stats, the stats of other kids from my schools who got in, and what my GC said, I’m pretty much a sure bet.)</p>

<p>So, for a prospective humanities (or history) major, which of UCSD, UCD, and UCSB is strongest? Or is there not a huge difference? What else should I consider… I’m having trouble distinguishing the three aside from location. Any ideas about atmosphere/environment/more subjective “fit” factors?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help!</p>

<p>I’m not too sure about how these schools are for the major you are interested in, but I have visited all of the campuses. Davis is a very casual and comfortable campus. Santa Barbara has an extremely beautiful campus surrounded by beaches. San Diego is also near a beach, but the campus life is not extremely exciting. But for me, my order for those three would be SD, D, SB.</p>

<p>Thanks kqt.
I know SD is supposed to be the best, but I also know it’s got a very good reputation in sciences–anyone know how it is in humanities/social sciences?
And the rep for SB is party school.</p>

<p>Can anyone corroborate this info? Thank you!</p>

<p>Oh, and when I said “prospective humanities (or history) major” I meant I’ll most likely major in some humanities discipline, likely history. Also possibly English…</p>

<p>Visit them.</p>

<p>There will literally be 0 difference in the curriculum between any of those schools, so you’re best off visiting each one. It’s all gonna depend.</p>

<p>

They key is, UCSD is not guarantted to ELC, and the other two on your list are. It would be most sensible to include a guaranteed campus on your list, especially if the non-guaranteed campus is not your clear preference.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Yes, I know, but I’m like 98% sure I’ll get into UCSD, and supposedly it’s a better school than the other two. But is this just for sciences? I guess I could apply to all of them but I don’t really wanna waste the money if I can help it.</p>

<p>And I can’t visit. UC[don’t wanna say which one for privacy concerns] is too far away; I’d have to make a weekend trip and I am far too busy w/ school going on.</p>

<p>Does anyone have any comments on the atmosphere of any of these schools? Or the strength of the non-science depts?</p>

<p>If you’re super-busy now, then apply to all five schools and make some visits in the spring. Doing a weekend trip can be inconvenient or an expense, but it will give you that subjective view that will tell you if a place is right for you or not.</p>

<p>Visiting is essential: you need to find a way to visit the campuses you’re highly considering. Talk to parents and make a road trip one weekend. Don’t just pick UCSD because you think it’s more prestigious. You should pick a campus that you feel is a good fit, in my opinion, especially considering the gap between SD/D/SB is not large at all in terms of “prestige”.</p>

<p>Agreed, visiting will really be the only way to find any major differences out.</p>

<p>I’m having an extremely hard time believing the fact that you were exactly 98% sure. How did you know that it wasn’t 97.93%? or even slightly over 98% like 98.0023%.
Please just take your B.S. lies elsewhere we don’t need that crap on this site.</p>

<p>“Yes, I know, but I’m like 98% sure I’ll get into UCSD, and supposedly it’s a better school than the other two. But is this just for sciences? I guess I could apply to all of them but I don’t really wanna waste the money if I can help it.”</p>

<p>doctor: lol </p>

<p>having visited all three (and a few more) of these schools last year with my now-freshman son, i can tell u that there are BIG differences in atmosphere/feel/vibe on each of these campuses. as others have said, a visit is a must to every UC you’re interested in. do it now or after admissions decisions are in. if u don’t–and base your decision to attend a campus within the system based on ‘prestige’–you’ll be making a huge mistake.</p>