UCSD vs. UCSB

<p>Keep in mind that when employers look at your resume, they are going to see “UC Santa Barbara”, and they’re going to know (c’mon, everyone knows) that SB is a party school. Unless you graduate SB from a highly reputable department (materials engineering/physics,etc), then I would highly recommend going to San Diego, because it is known for good academics, rather than good parties.</p>

<p>If you’re paying for college to have a good time, go to SB.
If you’re paying for college to make sure you get a good job and best education possible, SD (for most majors except matsci/physics)</p>

<p>Just the way I see it.</p>

<p>I don’t think that’s necessarily true these days. UCSB has many great departments (including the ones you mentioned), the College Of Creative Studies (where average admits have the stats of Berkeley/UCLA admits), and has even surpassed UC Irvine on the US News rankings.</p>

<p>I guess you can argue about how much having it on your resume affects you, but for me (a Poli Sci major), I don’t think it did. If anything, it probably helped, as my first job out of college required me to constantly interact with constituents. I think I got a great education there and also had an unforgettable college experience that I’ll remember forever.</p>

<p>I’m always one to contend that everyone takes UCSB’s party reputation and runs way too far with it. People have this image that they are a bunch of party animals and I really disagree that UCSB students are “party animals first, students second.” Most people here take school seriously; that’s why we’re here and that’s how we got in. I have trouble finding decent seats in the library because of all the people in there. The party reputation is just more interesting to the public and those people just happen to be really loud. </p>

<p>Bottom line, I’m a serious student and I love it here at UCSB.</p>

<p>^ There you have it straight from the horse’s mouth. </p>

<p>Only thing I would say, is that it may be tougher to get a job outside of CA, because most employers would probably think that its a party school (because of the hype surrounding UCSB). However if you plan on staying in CA, then the degree should hold you up fine.</p>

<p>Solution to the discrimination when looking for a job–> get a higher degree after undergrad</p>

<p>I’m sure this varies for other industries, but for my degree (political science) and my current line of work (policy research), I’d say the people show that most concern about college degrees are college applicants.</p>

<p>I was admitted to both… but I’m at UCDavis right now for location reasons.
Personally, I think UCSD has better reputation for academics. Not sure if it really matters since its difference is so small. But as for quality of life, I would definitely rather choose UCSB. I have heard from people that UCSD is pretty boring. But yeah…, that really depends on yourself and the people you meet. Good Luck.</p>

<p>I was in the same position a few months ago as the OP (even though this thread is 2-4 years old, lol), and I’m currently at UCSD. My mom really wanted me to consider UCSB since she thought my more-outgoing personality would fit right in (in conjunction with the fact that she herself had grown up in Santa Barbara). Since my grandparents live in SB, I figured I would fall in love with its campus, but when I visited to take a tour, I simply was not impressed. The feel of the campus is certainly laid-back, and the first buildings you see upon arriving are definitely pretty renowned-looking (I think it’s the engineering buildings), but as you progress further and further onto campus, things get grungier and grungier. IV reminded me of old town Redondo Beach – shoddy housing, perfect for a college student atmosphere but just not the right environment I was excited about. I walked around and took a tour of the main campus and the older facade of the buildings and interior just didn’t click with me. If you want a laid-back, bike-friendly, socially-enriching college (for any of you who happen to read this), this would definitely be the place for you.</p>

<p>That being said, I chose UCSD as I already mentioned, and it has doubtlessly been one of the best decisions of my life. Many say it’s socially-dead, but what does that really constitute? No parties? I have been to at least 6 parties so far (keg stands, multiple beer pong games going on simultaneously, etc.), and it’s only been second quarter, not to mention there have been numerous kickbacks my suitemates and I have organized. Not to mention, like any other college, nearly ALL the intramural sports teams, on-campus clubs (newspaper staffs, board clubs, etc.) throw regular parties - one of my suitemates is on the UCSD Ultimate Frisbee team and he goes to parties every other weekend - ULTIMATE FRISBEE–who the hell would have thought? As sociable as my mom thought I was, I was NEVER a party-goer in high school-I had gone to at most, 2-3 parties my entire four years and those 2-3 all occurred during senior year (unsurprisingly, eh?), and yet, I’m having a solid time going to parties (which ARE accessible–most frats, especially during rush period give rides to frat houses that don’t disappoint). Some frat houses are shady, but I’ve definitely been to the more La Jolla-representative ones- Living in a generally wealthy community has its benefits.</p>

<p>Like with any college you go to, YOU, yourself, are going to have to put in some effort to meet the “right” group of people, whether you are into partying or not (I have plenty of friends who fit the latter characterization). People on here who are asking about the party scene of schools seem to automatically think that they are party-worthy bros. Yes, we do not have a frat row (one of the MAIN disadvantages I would say), but if you want to have a good time you will have one here regardless. </p>

<p>Campus-wise, I would say SD would be a 7/10 and this is coming from a guy who didn’t appreciate its campus at first. There is an amalgamation of architecture, but overall, I think we do pretty well – BTW, I think Geisel (that weirdass structure we’re apparently “famous” for), is one of the ugliest structures on campus so I’m with whoever claimed it first. Additionally, we have amazing weather- I would probably rate it a notch higher than SB simply because SB is more north and absolutely NOTHING beats our beaches – Blacks and La Jolla Shores (also within walking distance). And I come from a coastal community very similar to La Jolla, and can truthfully say the beaches here are insanely nice (our surfing team I believe is still ranked #1 in the nation). The transportation bus services are pretty consistent, not to mention you can take the MTS pretty much anywhere you want to as long as you have your student id with you (free charge, of course). Sure we don’t really have a typical college town, but there are definitely shopping areas, restaurants, and hairdressers within walking distance. Not to mention downtown La Jolla is a bus ride away and downtown SD itself is an option (although I wouldn’t recommend going on weekends-it can take up to an hour with all the stops, so go on weekdays because they offer a no-stop route)</p>

<p>With all respect to SB (I practically grew up here since my grandparents lived there) and UCSB as a school, I just don’t think people should rule out UCSD as a “socially-dead” school. Meet people, make friends, lose some, and solidify existing friendships, and you will have the best time of your life. I certainly am, and it’s only been (almost) 2 quarters :).</p>

<p>^that makes me want to go to UCSD more now haha.
well…If I get in =/</p>

<p>I agree with robbins01. Any college is as social or socially dead as YOU make it. Most UCs have around 20,000 students or more. You’ll probably find a couple people like yourself.</p>

<p>Ya… except one of the is UCSB and one if them isn’t. RAAAGE is what people think of when SB is mentioned for a reason. Study is what people think of SD is mentioned, for good reason too.</p>

<p>You’re right. The “college experience” is at UCSB and the “preparation for graduate school” is at UCSD. I would love nothing more than to go to a joke school for four years and get straight A’s while partying constantly, but I have a future to think about, so I’m choosing SD, which isn’t laughed at by top medical schools. For anyone that doesn’t need a name by their degree, by all means go to SB. It’s fun as hell. You’ll love easy classes, parties, and constant hookups. It’s the true college experience. However, if you want to go past a Bachelor’s, a real school is a better choice.</p>

<p>UCSD seems to be really competitive, and I feel like the school has put too much emphasis on their academic departments and forgotten about athletics and greek life.</p>

<p>I grew up in Santa Barbara and the city and the school are nothing special (people who have never been to SB tell me its an amazing place to live, lol)</p>

<p>I actually like the city of San Diego a lot, especially because there’s a lot to do there. Living in La Jolla would be nice too.</p>

<p>

You write pretty authoritatively for someone who doesn’t actually go here. Although I have issues with my school - as you undoubtedly will with UCSD - calling it a “joke” is plainly wrong. </p>

<p>Honestly, I’m hard-pressed to believe that you believe what you’re writing. Reading your post, you’d think that UCSB and UCSD were somehow polar opposites with regard to academics, when that clearly isn’t the case.</p>

<p>^Not only that, but he’s not even a college student. I’m just surprised that if UCSB is a joke of a school, how UCSD was only able to place 7 spots higher on US News. I have to say that’s pretty sad.</p>

<p>All right people, first of all lets not be dogmatic here (voorwerp). Both schools definitely have their strong and weak points. For example I would probably attend UCSB over UCSD for anything related to theoretical physics or business. However, if it came to engineering or biology, I would go to UCSD hands down.</p>

<p>What is important is not to look at the overall school ranking, but first at the ranking of the major that you are interested in. Unless you have a creampuff major. Then I would say go to Harvard.</p>

<p>^ (applaud) I am a transfer student from a CC who is transferring to UCSD in the preceding fall. I was accepted into both schools but decided to send my intent to register to UCSD last week. My reasons being the following: </p>

<ul>
<li><p>I have many friends at UCSB and have been there many times. I’ve been there during Halloween, floatopia, Relay for Life (at UCSB), a few frat parties, a few complete tours around campus… Great and fun social life but I’ve also seen their engineering facilities and seen a couple of the senior projects (undergrad). The campus is beautiful, the people are fun and friendly (plus everyone there is in good shape), the academics still rank really high and from my understanding the courses offered are definitely not easy. They rank really high in chem engineering and physics (it helps when you have authors of nationally used textbooks there and the nobel prize winners help too). </p></li>
<li><p>I don’t have as many friends who attend UCSD but I do have a few and yes I have been there many times as well. The campus reminds me of my CC (Saddleback COllege) which is kind of a bad thing I guess… the campus is also very big and hilly. I love the 6 colleges and what the schools offer (accepted into Warren… engineering major). The colleges promote school spirit and each have their own specific focuses whether it be helping out the community every now and then or other ideas and completing specific GE’s (each college differs). Besides I have attended a couple of parties (sixth residence halls and the ‘Village’ - transfer dorms) which have been lot of fun. The social scene is totally not dead unless you are completely closed minded about it. UCSD engineering buildings aren’t as nice as UCSB’s in my opinion (except for the bioengineering buildings) but UCSD does rank a bit higher (which is important to me). </p></li>
</ul>

<p>In conclusion… both schools are really good and any legitimate employer won’t judge you just because you attended a party school if you have a solid GPA and a few extracurriculars. Both schools are very, very close to the beach (walking distance), UCSB has a nicer looking campus, the social scene will only be as fun as you want it to be, if you are a chem engr or physics - UCSB, if your biology or bioengineering - UCSD. Best way to decide is to visit your friends on campus or cousins or whoever… Walk around the campus with a tour guide…</p>

<p>It’s been 7 years since I posted this thread! It’s cool to look back after so many years. My college decision turned out to be much easier than expected since I was somehow accepted to Berkeley.</p>