UCSD Waitlist Question

I was wait-listed at UCSD, my primary major is computer science and alternate major is computer science engineering. While opting in for wait-list it said, i. i could get my primary major, ii. i could get my alternate major iii. i i might have to complete some class and then get primary/alternate major or iv. get into a non-screening major of my choice (i choose Communication). I got notification that I was admitted into UCSD as a Communication major and I have 7 days to accept it.

Now my question is, is this the final offer from UCSD or will I get offers for primary or alternate major is spot opens up after June 1st? I would much rather wait on the wait-list for a chance at computer science or computer science engineering. Does anyone have any information regarding this?

Is there a chance that I messed up the wait-list form? I don’t think there was an option not to choose a non-screening major. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

This is your final offer from the waitlist. If you do not accept the current offer, you are removed from the waitlist for any further offers.
You can contact UCSD admissions and the CS/CE department to find out your chances of being able to switch majors. Based on what is provided on the UCSD website, I would say no chance to change majors once you have matriculated.

The CSE department will be increasing the number of students admitted directly into a CSE major as a first-year direct admit or transfer, while mostly eliminating the number of spots available for late switches to the major. The department does not anticipate that there will be any spots available beyond those used for these direct admissions. For more information, please review the full CSE Capped Major process change rationale.
All UCSD students who were admitted to UCSD, but were not admitted to one of the CSE majors directly by the Office of Admissions must apply to change into one of the majors in the CSE department through the MyJSOE Major Change Application

• See MyJSOE Major Change Application for the timeline and all application deadlines
  • For the Summer 2023 cycle, there will not be any spots available. The JSOE Application for the CSE Capped Major process will not be available for students to apply in Summer 2023 for this reason.
  • In future academic years, the CSE Capped Major Application will only be open once per year in Summer. The next application after Summer 2023 will be in Summer 2024.
  • Be sure to read this webpage and the MyJSOE Major Change Application webpage material thoroughly (once an application is submitted, it may not be withdrawn for any reason)

https://cse.ucsd.edu/undergraduate/cse-capped-admissions-program

1 Like

Agree. If you decide to take the offer from UCSD, you will be a Communications major. So, either you choose to attend the university, or you choose another university, that will accept you into the major, and go there.

If you try to take any CS courses at UCSD, that are not linked to the communications major, your request, for those classes will be bumped out of the system. If you try to “backdoor” by taking CS prerequisites, and try to change your major to CS, it’s not going to happen.

They can’t and wont do it. A lot of it has to do with the numbers of students, in that major, and the support staff to help and teach those students. It is the financial budget, as well, as the quality of time budget to do right by those students in the major. They tend to stick to the budgets. Do students drop out of that major? Yes but some of those spots will be designated for CCC transfer students.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for this information. I guess that’s the end of this chapter. I will ask admissions if there is chance to wait on the wait-list but probably will be a no.

1 Like

No waitlist move, a long silence.