UK parent 'Early Decision' advice Brown vs Harvard

She will be going on a visit to east coast universities on her program though she has no choice as to which ones.

1 Like

@UKDad

Your finances might be more complicated than you think. Both Brown and Harvard will expect all financials to be reported from both parents and any spouses if the parents have remarried.

Has this been considered?

Also does this college consulting organization concern itself with the family finances
or just the admission prospects?

Yes and that is where it becomes complicated. Under UK definitions I don’t even exist. Under US definitions it will require conversations. This is why I’ve had the reach out from her. Even if I was included she still meets all maximum need criteria.

1 Like

For context I live in a garage.

The financial aid formulas for the 2024-2025 academic year can NOT be finalized here until some legislation either passes or doesn’t through our Congress related to some changes on the FAFSA. The Profile schools usually follow suit, but also have their own supplemental questions and do take a deeper dive into finances. Right now, any estimate you seem to be getting should be viewed as just that
.an estimate.

Is your college consulting group considering your family ability to pay
or just admissions. Do they have suggestions for your kid for less competitive colleges.

1 Like

Yes and yes.

1 Like

Brown is pretty well known in the UK amongst anyone with an interest (eg big firms etc who might be impressed with either there or Harvard when recruiting) p

average UK student debt is £45k; no compulsory repayment until an income threshold is met (which a lot of people don’t hit) and eventually written off. Repayment sums are very small. It’s nothing like the USA figures.

3 Likes

I don’t know where you got that number but it is wildly inflated. Top tuition is ~£10k/y. Living costs- even in London do not top £10k/year. Most courses are 3 year, so max cost is £60k total; £80k for a 4 year program. That’s with full pay- no bursaries, no paying for part of it with summer jobs, no support from parents, etc. There is simply no way that “most” students start with that level of debt. According to statista.com the average UK student debt when graduating is £45k in England, £33K in Wales, £24K in NI and £15k in Scotland.

Re: the “$500K” value of the Harvard package- there is some fun with numbers in that as well. It sounds amazing, but given that tuition, room & board are ~$80K/yr, and 4 flights between the UK and Boston isn’t going to run more than $5K, plus a lapttop at $1.5k we are talking about maybe $350K at a push. Still a whacking lot of money, but not $500K.

I am also going to push back harder on the “it’s Harvard or Cambridge b/c they are #1”. For a start, they are #1 in any given year, but if you watch the ratings over time, there are a handful of schools that move around in the top tier. Next there is the question of ‘says who’? There are 3-4 main ratings groups (THE, Shanghai, QS and- more for the US- USNWR), and you will note that they do not all agree. She is an ambitious kid in a competitive program for whom how things look to people in her world- ie, the other ambitious kids and faculty in a competitive program- is inevitably important.

5 Likes

She should apply to all the top need blind for intl students schools. If they were tontake her, unless her mom makes a good living, they would give her a full ride. All of them are excellent schools with liberal student bodies. I would say harvard or yale as early choice, rest reg decision.

2 Likes

For US posters: If the family or both parents are on minimum wage (£9.5 but many part time contracts) or universal credit ($400 a MONTH), or if they both make working class wages by UK standards (£12-18K), she’d still be eligible for maximum support. In fact there’s maximum support up to $65,000 family income but obviously sub-20K will result in maximum aid.
The UK government changed its tuition fee structure: unless their parents can pay everything cash (which very few can, considering a middle class salary is in the £25-30k range (household income representing the middle quintile is £26,800), students supposed to take on loans to pay for their undergraduate studies; the maintenance grant, equivalent to Pell in the US and which was used to help the lowest income students with rent, food, books, has been switched to another loan, meaning middle class students graduate with about 40K in debt for their state’s public university and working class&poor students graduate about 55K in debt. So, for an exceptionally bright low income student, getting into a top “meet need” US university is MUCH MUCH better financially than Cambridge, which may offer a 5K bursary but still leave the student with 40,000+ in debt.
The exception is Scotland, where undergraduate studies are free for Scottish students.

@UKDad
In addition, if you weren’t in touch and haven’t paid child support, she may not have to “report” you. However you’ve been in touch recently and are functionally homeless (though not living rough) so the fact you’ve been in touch shouldn’t really impact her eligibility for FA.

I’d apply to her favorite university from the “need blind/meet need for internationals” list. Based on what you said of her, I agree Yale would be a happy compromise between Harvard and Brown. Or Amherst.
Do not concern yourself with reputation among teens in the UK. Ambitious teens aren’t the ones who hire - and people who hire will definitely know Brown, Amherst, etc. (+ will recognize what experiences are on her resume).

That being said, although Brown sounds like a great fit indeed, odds are really low at Brown due to your financial need, and applying to Harvard/Yale in the RD round makes it even less likely she’s get in.

“need aware” means: these 2 candidates are really exceptional, we want them both but can only pick one, so between the kid who can contribute 50K and the one who can contribute 5K, we’ll pick the kid whose parents can pay 50K. It’s especially devastating for international students since they’re in a different “pool” with limited money, except at the “need blind/meet need” schools listed, ie., Amherst, Bowdoin, Dartmouth, Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Yale.

7 Likes

Clearly, this student knows where this non-custodial parent lives. Otherwise this thread would not have happened. Getting a non-custodial parent waiver isn’t all that easy. Just not paying child support would not be a reason for getting this waiver.

But for this family, it sounds like everyone is lower income
so it might not make any difference.

1 Like

I would also seriously consider Bowdoin
which has been test option for many many many years.

4 Likes

Harvard is not one of them.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this was mentioned upthread but Brown does not have a foreign language requirement to graduate. I don’t know what their expectations are for applicants’ high school foreign language classes.

1 Like

As far as Presidential kids, Brown was attended by Amy Carter and John Kennedy Jr not the Obama’s.

I think more relevant from the perspective of the British is that two of the Beatles kids also attended Brown but in fairness it was Ringo and George’s kids so eh😀

2 Likes

Attended being the operative word, as she was asked to leave.

3 Likes

Harvard doesn’t have ED (Early Decision), they only have REA (Restrictive Early Action). My advice since she prefers Brown anyway would be to apply to Brown ED since there is a small admissions advantage to applying ED and really none to applying REA. Obviously you will need to be OK with the binding decision though if she gets in. Then, if she gets deferred or denied she can still apply to Harvard RD (Regular Decision) and she won’t be at a disadvantage. If she applies Harvard REA it is non-binding and she could apply to Brown RD whether or not she was already accepted at Harvard BUT she would be giving up any kind of ED advantage. My advice would definitely be to take advantage of any kind of boost you can get and apply ED. (Speaking as someone who did not ED and so wishes she did!)

EDIT: I did not realize Brown wasn’t need blind for internationals when I wrote this. Given that it may negate the ED advantage at Brown. So maybe then REA at Harvard and RD at Brown and other schools. That way the decision is non-binding and she can compare options and financials. Good luck either way!

1 Like

Guys, do not underestimate just how big the differences in reputation are internationally. Harvard translates everywhere, in the world, as do Oxford and Cambridge.

Then MIT and, somewhat oddly, Cal Berkeley. Yale and Princeton, noticeable drop in name recognition, and it already begins to depend on which country you are talking about. And yes, even “people who count” in other countries may not have much of an idea beyond those names. Really.

7 Likes

Yes, I was just mentioning this because kids don’t have to try&track a deadbeat parent on their own if they’ve disappeared.
(The parent may have disappeared or tried to stay in touch but couldn’t, etc.)
Sorry for straying off topic. :handshake:

1 Like

Some people will know the names and many won’t. However the type of resume a student can build from any of these colleges (including exchanges or placements with Oxbridge colleges/companies/trusts/groups with recognizable names in the UK) makes it clear. Many people will not care about the college’s name but will look at what was achieved - and yes I understand the UK is more class-conscious, with graduation from a specific set of universities more important than in the US, but Amherst v. Bowdoin v.Brown, I don’t think it matters.
(I do think Harvard REA is a better choice, but for reasons related to financial aid and the fact they’re need blind/meet need, sth crucial for a very low income international. Name recognition is just a bonus and shouldn’t really factor in.)

Just today someone was explaining (I have to be a bit cryptic) “One of their rules is that you’re not allowed to list -prestigious name- on your resume.” “But if you have experience X, Y, and Z, clearly you’re part of -prestigious name-.” “The rule is, if they ask, tell the truth, otherwise, don’t flaunt it”. In other words
 some will know and understand.