UM or UF?

<p>Yeah,</p>

<p>My friend who is actually on CC transferred to Temple from Boston due to the grade deflation. It's really bad and if you plan on going to graduate school, I would not recommend it.</p>

<p>i know BU is more expensive than UM but i say that it would be the same amount of money because UM gave me about $30,000 and BU gave me about $42,700. each gave me most of the total cost and after doing calculations my debt would basically be around the same area. and yes of course i have taken into account the airfare back and forth but my parents will be fine paying for it if BU is where i really want to go, which it is. i have also heard about that grade deflation thing and some people say it doesn't really affect you and others say it does. essentially all this means to me is to work even harder to get the grade and the satisfation that i want. i think i can deal with it.</p>

<p>biteizemma: Not sure if you know this, or if it will help you with your decision, but are you aware that BU School of Comm is not accredited? Umiami' is....</p>

<p>This will affect the following:
1) There are certain media outlets that will not recruit at un-accredited schools of communication</p>

<p>2) There are certain media/journalism national contests (Knight, Hearst to name a couple ) that will not allow un-accredited schools to compete....</p>

<p>I don't have alot of additional info regarding this b/c my daughter has been accepted to Newhouse, BU and Miami and obviously prefers Newhouse, but it was mentioned at an accepted student reception yesterday.......</p>

<p>If I was in your position, I would think that a little more research about this may be in order......</p>

<p>bitesize-Obviously, many of us love UM and its programs and feel you would get a great education there. That said, I will tell you that we know 2 kids who graduated from BU with communications degrees, and they have both done very well for themselves. One works at the Boston Globe and the other is at ESPN in Bristol, CT. They were both happy with the educations they received at BU.</p>

<p>The one thing I would really recommend is a campus visit to BU if at all possible. BU's setting is not as if a typical college campus was dropped into the middle of the city, that would be like Northeastern. BU's buildings are on the city streets, starting at Kenmore Square and continuing for a mile and a half. Kids that really like city living will like BU, but it is a very urban environment and has a different feel than traditional campuses, even the other Boston campuses. </p>

<p>Boston is a great city as is Miami, but college life is different at each. I'm sure you can be very successful at any one of your choices, including UF. Just be sure to do your homework and understand what each school can and cannot offer you. Good luck.</p>

<p>lol okay this is to all of you: i have done my research, i know about BU's campus, i know about the type of students that go there, i know the courses i am going to take and i am absolutely in love, i've heard about the supposed grade deflation but i'm not going to let that stop me from trying, i've done so much research on this school and talked to soooo many people who love it and who absolutely despise it and i still am in love with BU and i will go there. so please like i already said, this thread was made just in case i didn't get into BU, it was always my first choice school, but i got in and so i am going to BU and nothing will stop me. i appreciate the help and the advice but i made my decision long ago and there's no reason for me to change it.</p>

<p>Congratulations on making your final decision. It sounds like you know what you want and have found it in BU. Best of luck, I'm sure you will love going to school in Boston.</p>

<p>Bite,</p>

<p>Best of luck to you at BU, Study hard and do great things!</p>

<p>thank you! :D</p>

<p>Is it just me or does Taxguy sound like a UM Admission Officer. I wouldn't be suprised if colleges would send people in here to infaltrate into students decisions on a detached level.</p>

<p>lol. he really does! smh</p>