UMiami chance + aid

<p>Could anyone chance me please?</p>

<p>I go to a very large competitive private school in Atlanta
Naviance shows that I'm in the range of accepted (above avg SAT but lower than avg GPA)
GPA: 3.56 weighted; 3.12 unweighted (yeah, its not too good)
Rank: I have no idea where to find that out from our school
SAT: 2090; 720CR, 700M, 670W (I'm planning to take it again; I took this SAT without any classes beforehand)
APs: Chem (taking this year), US Gov (taking this year), Bio (next year), Econ (next year), APUSH (next year)
ECs: 80 service hours, volunteering in several service clubs at our school, Model UN 10-12th grade, jazz choir (extra after-school class), volunteered at a nation's diplomatic mission in Geneva, Switzerland
Also, I am a South Asian. </p>

<p>Also, about financial aid:
Both my parent's income combined is ~650k, however, in the last year my father made a bad financial decision (he cosigned onto friends' a multi-million dollar loan and that friend defaulted on that loan leaving my dad to pay) and my dad might have a difficult time paying fully for my tuition. Do you think that Miami will give me any scholarships? Will they just look at his income (he is still paying for this loan) and deny me aid? My dads okay with paying for it if its around the price of my current school (~25,000 with everything).</p>

<p>Thanks so much guys!</p>

<p>It’s tough trying to chance someone in your situation in terms of financial aid. I believe you’ll be accepted, but merit aid could go either way. A lot of it depends on the strength of the application pool (which doesn’t seem to be going down any time soon). Sometimes a high SAT outweighs a low GPA; other times the low GPA will be the deciding factor in the scholarship amount, if any. In terms of need-based aid, FAFSA doesn’t take into account outstanding debt or payments; however, Miami is now requiring new freshmen and transfer students to fill out the CSS Profile, which does take that into account. I’m not very familiar with that process, so I can’t really say what you would be getting, so you might want to talk to someone in the financial aid office about that. Hope this helped!</p>

<p>I’d say your in the ballpark for admission. As far as FA goes, you won’t get a penny, nor should you. I also don’t think you’ll be offered much merit aid. Certainly not enough to bring the price tag down to 25k. Your folks are rich. Didn’t they save for your education?</p>

<p>I do not think is our business to judge or to be unkind in CC. I think you have a good chance to be accepted but unfortunately you may not receive much in aid I am afraid. You might consider however other schools that are still very generous with merit aid or go to a very good state school for less.</p>

<p>Not to sound racist, but, unfortunately, Asian males do not have much of a chance of getting much aid; it is difficult enough to get accepted. It’s unfair, but it’s the sad truth. If I were you, I’d leave race off of my college app (it’s now optional on the CommonApp). Good luck! :]</p>