UMiami Communications School vs. Syracuse Newhouse School

<p>My S is trying to decide between these two schools. Has anyone compared the two. I'm interested in any FACTS you might have. He visited and loved both. Obviously, the weather is at the two extremes and Syracuse is more frat-oriented, but does anyone have any other specific information comparing the communications programs at both. My S is interested in Sports Broadcasting.</p>

<p>research: the only facts we looked at last year when my daughter chose Newhouse were regarding alumni and job placement for her intended possible career: TV/advertising/entertainment industry....Newhouse won out (USC was a close second of the schools she was accepted to; she had eliminated Miami when she was accepted to Newhouse)..... What other facts are you looking for that I can help you with?</p>

<p>Well, alumni and job placement are definitely important, but it wasn't clear to us that for sports broadcasting Newhouse had clearly better placement than Miami. In the Northeast, Syracuse is better known but Miami appears to have a strong career placement office and opportunities in Miami to work at affiliates. Rodney, did you find statistics that clearly placed Syracuse's placement over Miami's? And what about the actual technical training on the latest TV equipment. Has anyone compared that?</p>

<p>When we researched last year, unfortunately, Miami was not able to provide statistics that we were looking for in that respect....we did not look at the technical aspect as my daughter's focus is elsewhere....</p>

<p>In terms of affiliates, I would imagine that Miami would have better placement.(given that Miami is a major metro area)...but the sports kids at SU tend to work at ESPN and SNY during the school year, more often than network affiliates....Given this is not my area of expertise, you may want to call the Newhouse dean's office to get more info; they are extremely accomodating with these types of inquiries...</p>

<p>btw, given it's May 7th, how are you still deciding? or is this for next year?</p>

<p>My son was a comm major at UMiami for 2 1/2 years until he transferred last semester. They required him to double major, but there was talk that they might be doing away with that so I don't know if they have or not. He didn't mind the double major but there was the question of whether he would be able to graduate in 4 years. He liked the comm school well enough. I think the main complaint was with advising....they don't give each student an advisor so before class sign up he just had to go to the comm school and speak to anyone who was available. I just thought it would have been nicer for him to develop more of a relationship with one advisor who was familiar with his needs on an ongoing basis. They also didn't have online sign up for classes which I thought was strange as his present school does.</p>

<p>As for Syracuse, I went there for 2 years as an undergrad before transferring. I wasn't in the Newhouse school though I did know people who were. It had a good reputation back then and I know it still does. However, I didn't care for the overall Syracuse college experience.</p>

<p>My daughter is going to Newhouse and was also accepted at UMiami. When we went to the Newhouse accepted day, they stated that they don't get too hung up on the technical aspects because the field is changing so fast. They did have their full time technical faculty member talk on the panel we attended and he felt that soon the students' laptops will have all of the techical programs that they need for their job. Plus, since Newhouse believes that they are training managers, not technicians, they believed that this area was essential but minor. Both are great schools - Newhouse has the better reputation but UM is working hard to be the best.</p>