UMiami ED2 Class of 2025

So did they meet your need? I don’t understand what to expect from a school that says they meet need, but then change it to what works for them via CSS!

1 Like

I got accepted 3.3 UW/4.6W, 250+ hours of community service, 28 ACT, 3 board positions, part-time job, attended the summer scholars program, tons of demonstrated interest, i was constantly bothering my admissions counselor, first-gen, IB student, low-income mixed girl with 4 siblings from Miami. As I said, it’s holistic and i’m extremely grateful I got in for Marine Bio. I still haven’t even submitted my financial docs. Congrats to everyone!

4 Likes

I have a sincere question. If you are low-income, how were you able to do ED without knowing your FA package? That’s scary to me! I love when people don’t worry as much as me, and just go for it! Just trying to figure out how the ‘meets need’ process works. Even if they meet need, that’s still not enough sometimes!

1 Like

I mean we would prefer to pay nothing but from what I’m calculating we would need to come out of pocket for $5k a year. Which is doable. I’ll be calling the school next week because I have a lot of quesitons!

1 Like

I talked with my college advisor at school and she told me the net price calculator was accurate so it came out to be very little. In the ED agreement it also states that if you applied for financial aid it’s not binding

3 Likes

That’s awesome! I wasn’t sure if the net price calculator was considered accurate once they factor in the CSS. From what I’ve read, they use their own formula and make their own determination of what you can contribute.

1 Like

Do you mean you have to pay that much over your EFC?

Honestly, I’m not familiar with the efc. In the award letter it states what the cost will be and I just deducted the amount they awarded her. I’m assuming thats what her father and I will pay out of pocket. We are calling the fin aid office monday to get all our questions answered. I will be more than happy to share what they tell me.

Deferred with 3.9 W GPA; 8 APs rest all honors.
Showed a lot of demonstrated interest and kept in contact w admissions officer.
Great essays.

Started a film business worked w NBA, NFL, Sports Illustrated, multiple magazines, etc.
Graduated from a music conservatory in guitar & piano.
Founded my own radio station w 2000+ monthly listeners.
School VP all 4 years HS.
Varsity Cross Country.
200+ volunteer hours related to major.

Any explanation as to why got get deferred ED2? I was hoping for at least a spring admit…

1 Like

Did you apply to Frost?

Nope, I applied to the engineering school :sob:

I’m so sorry. It doesn’t seem to make alot of sense.

1 Like

Agree,
Seems difficult to explain. Was your UW GPA or class rank low in the context of your school? Were your classes not primarily STEM focused given you wished to major in engineering? Did you take the most rigorous classes that were available to you? Just grasping at straws as you seem to be a great candidate. You will succeed wherever you land as you have initiative and that will take you further than any GPA or test score. You are “well-rounded” which may not be celebrated as much as it should be in the current academic climate. IMO that makes you an interesting person and someone who will add so much to whatever school is lucky enough to have you in the future. I hope it is UMiami!

2 Likes

Thank you! I made sure to take the hardest classes available at my school and scored at the top of most of those classes. Even brought my GPA up to a 4.3 senior year. Took all the classes related to my major as well, so not sure why…

Honestly, it could be something as arbitrary as the committee had just admitted 2 other applicants that had listed engineering as a major & yours was the next app they saw. You have and excellent shot at getting in RD. However, you seem to have an entrepreneurial spirit and this will take you far!

1 Like

I got in!!! Let’s go canes! I’m happy for everyone!

2 Likes

Congrats!! Thats amazing! Would you mind elaborating on what you mean when you said you “constantly were bothering your admissions counsellor” were you sending her emails about how badly you wanted to attend or emailing her questions? I bother my admissions counsellor ALOT with questions, which I think shows demonstrated interest but I’m also afraid I email too much.

I was just constantly asking questions since I was in junior year and then I sent her a letter of continued interest when I got deferred from EA. I’ve even spoke with her in person since my high school is only a few minutes from UM and they come for college fairs and stuff

1 Like

My son got accepted into the Engineering School for Spring.
4.12 W
3.4 UW
Test optional
3 APs Some Honors
Most Extra curriculum activities related to engineering
Applied for Financial Aid.
FA package supposes to arrive by mid-April.

They give him until May 1 to decide.
He is happy that he got accepted, but concern about starting late and missing all the Fall activities where you meet friends and join clubs.
Will he graduate in 2026?

Denied ED2
3.0 gpa
1550 SAT
Good essays
100+ volunteer hours
Lifeguard job