UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

My guess would be 1/26 Wednesday. They have gone between Wednesday’s and Friday release. We had two straight Friday releases :sunglasses::sunglasses:

I’ve never fully understood the theory of deferring high stat kids to regular decision to improve yield. I’m not sure how making a decision in March for a kid who might potentially be accepted at MIT, Harvard, or Yale, would improve Michigan’s chances of having those kids weeded out before Michigan makes a decision. The only way it potentially could make sense would be for kids who apply early decision. I could see how, from a yield management perspective, it might be preferable to hold out on making a decision until after the ED pool has withdrawn their applications. I don’t know how many of these kids there are, and what percent actually withdraw their applications in a timely manner. Given that it’s such a big school, I would not think that Michigan plays that kind of game. It seems like it would require a lot of effort and gamesmanship.

It may be that Michigan does defer a bunch of kids to regular decision round, and I don’t know why, but the yield protection explanation never made complete sense, but I’m not an insider expert on how Universities make these decisions.

There are clearly high stat students that are accepted EA. And there are clearly high stat students deferred/postponed.

Michigan is building a diverse class and last year there were roughly 55,000 EA apps submitted, so you can’t accept them all.

The total amount of acceptances are about 16,000 applicants and in prior years about half of those acceptances come in RD.

I know I’m freaking out!!!

me too!!! I’m putting too much hope into this suspicion lol

Michigan routinely plays this game at our school. So do many other schools. The Valedictorian at our school 3 years ago got into Harvard and waitlisted at BU.

2 Likes

Not every college that has a high deferral rate does so to protect yield. There are multiple reasons, and there’s been a whole thread out there about this recently, so I won’t repeat any of that here. Having said that, I don’t know if UMich is a high deferral school or not.

Again, I don’t know if UMich does indeed defer such kids or not - but the theory would be: those kids have likely ED’d/EA’d/REA’d to the “elites” and if accepted they will likely pick that school. So by deferring such a kid they are not “wasting” an admit or merit offer. Or so the theory goes…

Interesting that 55k are EA. That means about 28k or less are submitted Regular Decision. With the lion share of kids submitting EA, seems like the admissions team should be able to make admit/deny decisions based on the EA pool, unless you need more time to wade through the volume of applications. Obviously they are doing what works for them to make decisions they think are best for the institution.

1 Like

Just to keep the facts proper, as published by the Michigan Daily, there were 79,743 apps received last year, pending any corrections from the CDS, when that document is eventually published.

Are admissions coming out today? My daughter is very worried. Thanks in advance.

• Curious and Caring Dad
1 Like

I don’t know why people think it will be today. Last year decisions came out 1/29 and Ross first decision date was 2/19. This year we know Ross is coming out 2/18.

These are the potential dates that come to my mind:

1/21: Friday same as last year. Shows they were able to finish things much before deadline

1/26: closer to end of month and Wednesday. In the past reported on Wednesday and Friday

1/28: last Friday of the month same as last year.

As of today no changes to the landing page in enrollment connect.

Because someone up thread claiming to have insider knowledge said it would be today …

But, who knows.

2 Likes

I wrote this yesterday and I am not sure it actually posted. Sorry if it’s a repeat

After thinking (overthinking) about it, I am not optimistic anymore. Im sure every year some kid “knows” someone in admissions to feed the rumor mill. Being local, I am not immune.

I was much more optimistic about it earlier. I hate to fizz out my own rumor, but like in most offices, I can’t see projects getting done before deadline. 2 weeks before, no less. Lol.

I am not so full of pride that I can’t see both sides.

College admissions are taking a hit during this economy. College admissions are down across the board. With Ivy decisions out in December and many other schools coming out on 1/28-ish. It would be good to be ahead of the others.

I will be happy to hear a decision tomorrow, but I think deep down I think, minimally, another week.

For me, I am respectfully conceding to shelf this until next week. I hope it will help me chill, but I know, deep down, it will not.

5 Likes

Last year, the Withdraw Your Application button under APPLICATION would disappear a few hours before the decision release. Don’t know this year. I am not optimistic it’s today.

But maybe it’s true, who knows. It’s hard not to overthink everything- we all just want a decision!

This whole EA thing with Michigan is just kind of frustrating because it seems like they just defer so many people. I half wonder if it’s just a way for them to get most of their applications in early so they can go through all of them by April.

5 Likes

Bingo…Think about it from the admissions office administrators perspective…Got through 40 k of the apps for EA 15k more to go and it’s the end of Jan, no harm in deferring right ? Clearly not the case up until recently, but I suspect short staffed admissions offices may actually have to resort to this type of thinking …

Anyone else have an opinion/hear about today?

Not sure why the withdraw button would disappear. Even if one is accepted, they still want people to be able to withdraw, if needed. We got many early acceptances, and withdraw button is still on the portal.

1 Like