UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

My daughter’s friend was admitted from OOS in January for nursing.

I’m not an engineering expert, but GT, at least for certain programs, will be ranked higher than Michigan.

As for UVA, I won’t ping her, but srparent’s son, from the Chicago area, is a freshman at Michigan. His other choice was UVA. According to her, there’s no comparison between UVA’s engineering program and Michigan’s.

But you may want to post a new thread and ask opinions from a wider group of posters for opinions.

1 Like

Couple of things…

One, UVA has one of the absolute best AOs in terms of communicating with the applicant community at large. She is very detailed, very updated, and completely transparent. She walks everyone through the EA process. They post very detailed numbers- applicants (broken down by in-state and OOS), acceptances, deferrals, and rejections. Their deferral eventual acceptance % is also shared, and is relatively low (lower than the acceptance rate in EA by a comfortable margin). There’s no way they’re kicking high stat applications. Too much transparency and data.

Two, outside of UM, just about every school considers full applications in EA. UM doesn’t. We have had two kids go through the application cycle, and the same AO has told two different counseling departments that UM does not fully consider every EA applicant. Many get a cursory review (they’re likely looking for something specific), and then kick them to the next round of EA. We have HS data of over 90% of high stat kids being postponed at UM. At UVA, the acceptance rate falls along the lines of a typcial elite OOS university.

Simple data and transparency. Our GC believes our D has a very good chance of acceptance to UM. She was deferred UVA, with a very slim chance of being admitted. BUT, due to the fact she understood where she stood at just about every step of the way with UVA, she currently has much fonder thoughts towards UVA. She worked her butt off to get those applications in before November, and UVA showed her appreciation for it at every step. UM is merely kicking her down the road until it they’re sure she didn’t get into where they think she REALLY wanted to go, and then they’ll take a look.

3 Likes

Not close, really.

GT and U-M are top-tier engineering schools (ranked #4 and #6 respectively.)

UVA is #36… well south of engineering programs at state schools like Penn State, Ohio State, etc.

If you’re in state for Virginia, Virginia Tech (#13) would be a far better option for an aspiring engineer.

2 Likes

Agree. UVADeanj is amazing. After I applied for EA to UVA, I followed her through decision day on Instagram. As I, as an EA applicant postponed, waiting for the UM decision I see myself thinking about life at UVA.

3 Likes

GT is the best for pure engineering, then uMich (of this list) UVA is not even close in curriculum, research, etc. HOWEVER, they have about equal outcomes (salary at 2 years, mid career etc) and much higher than other “tech” schools like VT. Either UVA engineering grads are benefiting from a strong network or they are targeting management positions vs staff engineering positions (I feel this is likely) - as the curriculum is quite limited.

1 Like

Did anyone apply to IU Kelley here?

Wow your D School sounds like our HS (and from your name might even be the same). Sounds like lots of overlap places too seeing you in other boards with some other familiar names…it is what it is and will be over in a few weeks. This is our first round …ughh will be doing it again in a few years)

UVA is a great school but not in the same league as GT and UMich. Tuition wise, UMich is 25k and GT 10k more than UVA in state rates. My DS got the Rodman scholars in UVA but he has zero interest in attending. I compared the CS curriculum across all schools and UVA has a lot to catch up on. If its UMD vs GT/UMich, then the gap reduces, to how much is subjective.

Yes. I did.

I have been sworn to secrecy, but it’s possible :slight_smile:

This is our second of three. I semi-retired between one and two, so I have WAY too much time on my hands and have inherited lots of the stress. MIsery loves company, so this is somewhat cathartic!

We’re trying to embrace the chaos of the next four weeks. Expecting mostly bad news, but she has a bird in the hand that she’s really excited for and that will offset most rejections. Good news here tomorrow would erase all stress, as she’ll then consider herself having two amazing options prior to the super reaches.

2 Likes

Blockquote Did anyone apply to IU Kelley here?

Yes

1 Like

In lieu of a possible release tomorrow, I scrolled through the Class of 2025 posts. Although a ton were accepted in the March 5th wave, there were plenty of acceptances in the late March wave and April 1 waves both in and OOS. So whatever happens tomorrow, release or not, try not to be discouraged. At least I’ll try not to :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Yes, I’ve been sworn to secrecy, familial excommunication or anything that sounds similar. Also lots of time. Do not have high hopes for the next few weeks ( which was different at the beginning of this process. Its been a big education from the stone age period when I applied). Also have one that may not have been top pick back in September but has grown on us.

1 Like

Do we think nursing students will receive a decision tomorrow? Hopefully!!

Yes, DD22 applied in October, heard from Kelley early December. In with 9k.

Fellow nursing applicant and I hope so! I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

I did back in November, heard back in December. Got in with 9K

Well said. Mine has been accepted at UT Austin, we flew there, she can picture herself there and they are communicating regularly about becoming a Longhorn. Michigan is becoming less and less of a thought. Fitting in a trip at this point seems overwhelming…

5 Likes

Ugh. Maybe all the Washtenaw acceptances went out with the Washtenaw rejections about to come ;(.