UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Congratulations!! If it is ok could you pl share her major within COE and also her stats?

Of course.
Biomedical Eng - OOS
Submitted 1460 SAT (800 in Math)
4.5 Weighted GPA, 12 APs
Strong Essay about UMich BME
Lots of EC (Varsity sports, arts awards, leadership in same org all 4 years, related internship, NHS, P and VP of clubs)

2 Likes

Not while theyā€™re deferred, no. If admitted, as late as the first week of April, then yes, you can still into the Honors program.

Depending on in-state versus OOS, merit is always difficult to get from Michigan and certainly, as time passes, merit money runs out.

Back to the Honors program, Iā€™ve seen deferred applicants admitted, apply to the Honors program in the first week of April, get admitted to Michigan and then get admission to Honors in late April.

Hereā€™s this cycleā€™s deadlines for Honors. Seems very similar to prior years.

https://sites.lsa.umich.edu/applytohonors/deadlines-requirements/

Just remember, you can still graduate with honors w/o ever having been formally admitted to the ā€œHonors Program.ā€ Really the big perk for the Honors program boils down to one major item, which is freshman year, you get housing in South Quad. There are some other smaller perks, but South Quad freshman year is the big one.

2 Likes

Thanks @sushiritto. Very helpful

Yes, I meant after being admitted. Not while still in postponed state.

So it sounds like honors is still available to deferred applicants but likely not merit (as it may have run out)

I hope everyone here will hear positive news in March, whether this week or by the last week of March. But remember, 10,000+ applicants are offered the waitlist option. And if you decide to take it, then the wait could be over the first week of April or the wait could be as long as July.

I donā€™t want to be a ā€œDebbie Downer,ā€ but thatā€™s always a possibility for some of you, whether you choose it or not, itā€™s up to you obviously.

Iā€™ve seen applicants post in July, after being admitted from the WL, and are ecstatic. And some choose to move on and reject their WL option.

1 Like

And you are certain of thisā€¦ how?

Did her deferral letter say ā€œā€¦and in case you were wondering we really DID consider youā€¦ā€?

I did the live chat with an AO today and asked about EA deferred applicants hearing tomorrow. Their response was ā€œitā€™s possibleā€ so I think we can be fairly confident of a release.

8 Likes

Thanks!! All the posts in specific forum, have sold me on UM! Sounds like an awesome mix of academics and fun campus life

I was thinking the same. Michigan says itā€™s a postponement on a decision, not a postponement on reviewing the application. Thatā€™s the same thing UVA is saying when they defer.

I realize a lot of people donā€™t believe Michigan reviews everything for EA, but that is no more than an urban legend unless they admit otherwise.

Wow! They have firm decision dates here. Someone must not have gotten the memo :rofl:

Sarcasm aside, this is great. Iā€™m glad theyā€™ve provided this info. I also find the deadline dates revealing. The first was Feb 8th - about 10 days after the EA decisions were announced. The second date is March 8th, so following the same pattern (and given that in-state decisions went out 10 days prior to that date) it implies thereā€™ll be a wave tomorrow March 4th.

2 Likes

Sounds like we can be fairly confident that ā€œitā€™s possible.ā€

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Iā€™m laughing because, I knew you would find the pattern, but I held my tongue thinking you would be the first to mention it.

4 Likes

If decisions will be released tomorrow, should we expect to see changes in the portal leading up to the release? Just need to know how obsessive I need to beā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Typically, yes, but this will be a smaller release, relative to Januaryā€™s EA ā€œwave.ā€ Thus, the ā€œglitchā€ could be much closer to the time of release.

Okay. I wonā€™t start freaking out yetā€¦Sigh.

Wow, thatā€™s like probably never happened before. Hell must have frozen over. :grinning:

BTW, ā€œlive chatā€ obviously confirms someone is working during Spring break.

4 Likes

If there is a release tomorrow, would it include RD?

1 Like

To be clear, I think you mean those apps that were received by 2/1/22, because everyone is considered RD now, including the deferred 11/1/21 apps. In any case, absolutely!

3 Likes

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but after talking with a bunch of applicants from around the state the late February release seemed to be concentrated within certain Michigan counties (Washtenaw was a big one). There are large in-state feeders that didnā€™t receive any decisions.

So, if youā€™re in-state I wouldnā€™t be discouraged about not being in that wave.

I could use some unemotional, unbiased feedback here ā€“ as a Virginia resident, I am guilty of wearing Virginia blinders. That said, while my S22 waits for decisions from Michigan and GT (was accepted to UVA), how would you compare engineering opportunities at those schools? Yes, the cost of UVA is much lower for us, but, reputation-wise, how close/far apart are the engineering programs considered?

1 Like