UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Actually, the notification said that a final decision will be no later than “early April.”

1 Like

There was a postponement letter? Was this a particular school? We didn’t receive one.

None.

1 Like

There is a letter under “messages” in the applicant portal. It says they will hear no later than early April.

1 Like

I actually know of students in previous years who were admitted off the waitlist – I agree it’s unlikely but it can definitely happen…

1 Like

I have only been “watching” this thread but decided to comment because I hear ya westchesterdad! I think it’s great your D has moved on…mine is stubbornly hanging on. Bottom line is the college app process has been broken for a long time – throw in a pandemic, test-optional, gap-year students who are now applying – and now it’s a mess. I am in discussion groups with private college counselors (I am a college essay advisor) and they are dismayed about many admissions decisions this year and don’t even know how to advise their students anymore. It feels haphazard, with no rhyme or reason. It’s sad because these kids have worked so hard. BUT, the good news is, in the words of Frank Bruni’s book, “where you go is not who you’ll be.” Our kids will be fine, more than fine, no matter where they end up. Michigan was my “safety school” back in the day and I wasn’t even excited to go there! Of course, when I tell that story to students now, it falls on deaf ears, because that means nothing to them when their hearts are broken or could be broken if they don’t get in. I’m angry with UM too because a lot has changed since the 1980s and it’s not all good! That being said, I promise to update this thread if I hear through my other college admissions discussion groups if a “wave” is coming!

21 Likes

This is so true. I spent three decades in the professional world, and can tell you that the only thing a fancy degree ever really conferred was that it gave me a pretty good idea as to their parents’ means or bloodline. Once you hit five years in whatever workplace you’re in, there are very few times where your alma mater will mean much. The funny thing is that Michigan is one where it WILL mean something, primarily due to school pride and spirit. I hear “Go Blue” everywhere and in every environment, but it’s due to things primarily outside of academics.

We’ve heard the same from private counselors. Basically a hands in the air year for them. Our D applied ED to Duke, and was told by her outside counselor “fifteen years ago, you were a shoe in. Ten years ago you were a strong candidate with an even chance, five years ago you were a reasonable one with a fighter’s chance, and this year you probably had no shot.”

The sad thing is that I don’t really know if the current process helps ANYBODY. Yes, there will be some kids who sneak in because of the combo of TO, geography, and candy-like GPAs. But for most everyone else, it simply has muddied the water. The same kids that are now applying “up” if you will to schools they wouldn’t have a few years back are still unlikely to be accepted and then there are students applying to the schools that original student would have sailed into a few years back…further deepening THAT pool. It’s broken. I don’t think colleges care, because they are making much more $ and can promote all of the things that help with rankings. I know UM doesn’t.

For many, this will be forgotten. Kids will be accepted or denied eventually, and move on to Ann Arbor or somewhere else. Those accepted will recall this process as grueling and unfair, but won’t judge UM by it- they’ll judge UM by their experience. Those who are rejected will resent UM (and probably root against them athletically, lol), but soon will become fully focused on their school. The news cycle, if you will, shall proceed. However, that means that future applicants are likely to experience the same cold, uncaring approach in this process. I simply wish somebody would consider the mental health needs of teenagers during an extremely stressful time. Communicate, darnit!

20 Likes

All very well said! Communication/transparency is key for many reasons (and especially for mental health as you mentioned). Perhaps some day this crazy bubble will burst, but for now, all we can do is support our kids no matter what the outcome is on ____ i.e., that Friday at 3pm!

2 Likes

no one has received a shipman scholarship invite yet right?

“Admissions decisions by:” still says “ by early April 2022.”, just as it always has, iirc.

Many “my counselor, who has inside knowledge, said”, “based on last x years”, “I saw three pixels on the portal change their RGB value”, etc., posts have not changed this.

(But it will still be the Admissions Office’s fault for misleading everyone thinking it’s every Friday, because they’re horrible…”)

3 Likes

Agree.

Except for, you know, every single other college either acting in similar fashion to prior years or communicating changes to their applicants.

It isn’t difficult to understand many students’ frustration with this process. Michigan has been intentionally silent (for LSA- Ross has communicated as LSA should), and had altered the process from all prior years.

Acting as if all applicants should treat UM with reverence that is not afforded other schools is silly. Michigan has chosen to be the outlier that believes it appropriate to act as they so choose. Fine. But students and parents can (and I’d argue should) be disappointed.

3 Likes

Seeing reporting of acceptances on Reddit for performing arts today - so far have seen 3 or so reported in the last 20 minutes.

1 Like

As an FYI, we know of a family that did not receive an acceptance until very late last year. Most of the family’s peers received UM acceptances ahead of time. The family did not think their child was getting in. After everyone had received acceptances, the family was accepted to UM and then eventually to Ross. Hang in there…there could be some surprise good news.

3 Likes

If your post is justifying its failure to respond or communicate, take note this is the Early Action thread.
UM’s website still say this:
Students who apply Early Action will receive a decision earlier in the process, as they are guaranteed a response by late January
A decision to not make a decision for the vast majority of the students applying by this deadline does not meet the spirit of this agreement- one in which they charged an application fee for.

16 Likes

I don’t think it will help UM at all. Even with an acceptance, my kid is weighing all offers. For kids who hear late (4/15 is VERY late) that would mean kids pick from THEIR choices. Sometimes, kids who’ve applied to many schools won’t have the time/inclination to get it all done in 2 weeks. Remember many kids haven’t visited every school due to Covid. If there are lots of open issues, kids will go with what they know and many schools have had great communication pre/post acceptances.

Agree, 4/15 is ludicrous when Purdue’s housing deadline is 4/13.

2 Likes

Agreed, and the argument that they DID consider and merely deferred these candidates is bunk. In our HS, according to the head college counselor, 35 of the past 36 students have been postponed over the last several years (with the one being an athlete). Of those, 13 have been accepted. Many of those with stats well north of 75%. So EA is not EA for us. It’s blatant yield management.

STAMPS, a very small school at Michigan, has always had a different release schedule from the other schools.

Michigan will NOT wait until 4/15. I’d expect no later than Friday 4/1, but I’m optimistic it’ll be sooner. If I’m not mistaken, UCLA releases this Friday 3/18, Cal (UC Berkeley) releases Thursday 3/24 and Ivy Day is Thursday 3/31.

I’d like to think Michigan will release either this week or the latest next week.

2 Likes

Are you in MI?