UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I swear there is a planted UM AO in here or two, lol. “Really, we’re very transparent!”

4 Likes

Thats a gracie idea! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Possible.

Yeah, last Friday my son kept asking me if decisions were out, and I said, “I don’t know, check your own email! What do you keep asking me for??” And he points to all the CC and Reddit windows I have open, “Well, I figured you’d know first…”.

Wake-up call!!

1 Like

:smiley: :laughing:

1 Like

My son was accepted off of the waitlist 2 years ago. It was the first year of Covid, and UMich did take a materially higher number of students off the waitlist that year. But, there is hope.

2 Likes

I’m not going back through this thread to clean up; it’s too time-consuming and has a negative ROI for me. But since I’ve observed some problematic behavior, might I remind members of the forum rules: “Our forum is expected to be a friendly and welcoming place, and one in which members can post without their motives, intelligence, or other personal characteristics being questioned by others."

and

“College Confidential forums exist to discuss college admission and other topics of interest. It is not a place for contentious debate. If you find yourself repeating talking points, it might be time to step away and do something else… If a thread starts to get heated, it might be closed or heavily moderated.”

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/guidelines

12 Likes

Last year’s admission cycle was extremely stressful; I went through it with my daughter. In the end she ended up at a great fit/great “rejective” school but the journey was hard.
This year with my son has been better in a way: only because he did more " safeties " and so had a few EA admission under his belt which made the wait on school like Michigan although rough easier. It is much worse this year in terms of how much more “selective” things are this year: at his HS so many kids getting deferred from flagship state universities with applications that in any other year would historically have been admits.

Some of the comments and discourse on the thread have been quite helpful in terms of dealing with everything. I am fascinated by the whole process so the differing viewpoints are helpful. Venting helps too!

It is a super hard process: We, as parents , care so much that the waiting and disappointment gets to us often more than it gets to our kids.
Hang in there!

Also, let’s be careful that the discussion doesn’t get heated and the threat gets shut down because that would make me sad and deprive everyone of a great resource.

12 Likes

This is some positivity right here :heart:

For what it’s worth, in speaking with admissions last week, they said they had over 90k apps and they “plan” to do a single release later this month. She said they were “working really hard” to make this happen. So, fingers crossed it is this month :crossed_fingers:

14 Likes

did you get this information from calling? Later this month sounds like March 25th. I also heard (several weeks back) from a pretty good source (although second hand) that there would be a single release. Was really hoping for this Friday.

:crazy_face: I must have selectively skipped the early April part of the postponement letter. My feeling is that any idea of it being EA in any sense for my kid is done. Plenty of other exciting decisions coming out first at this point.

For those posting about the BFA results being released, it’s a separate school and admittance to at least the BFA MT program odds are usually less than 1% as it’s one of the best and very small. Having said that, they manage it beautifully and admit each selected student with a personal phone call.

2 Likes

“Later this month” sounds like anything from “right now” through “March 31st.”

1 Like

Can anyone here speak about the diversity at UMichigan. When we went there were mostly white students and parents at the admitted student day. Walking around campus also we hardly saw people
From different races. Just wondering if maybe that first impression we got was not accurate. Everyone praises this school
So much and we feel
Fortunate that our child has been accepted but she comes from
A very diverse high school
And has an international background herself so wants to feel that she will
Fit in. I would really appreciate feedback from this group. Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to offend anyone by this but genuinely respect her wanting to be in a school that is the right fit.

3 Likes

You can get race information from a number of sources, although I don’t see any updated for Fall 2021.

U Mich is 60% white per the 2020 campus snapshot https://obp.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/pubdata/factsfigures/2020_OBP_Infographic.pdf and 55% white per the 2020/21 CDS section B2 (I have no idea why those numbers would be different): https://obp.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/pubdata/cds/cds_2020-2021_umaa.pdf

Note that the state of Michigan is 79% white (https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/MI) and 54% of undergrads are from Michigan (per 2020 campus snapshot above).

1 Like

This information can be found in the Common Data Set (page 2). The report indicates that the undergraduate student body is 53% white. Though, “Nonresident aliens” represent 8% of the student body. I asusme this means international students–some of whom could be white. Additionaly, 5% unknown.

2 Likes

Thank you. I am looking interested in peoples own experiences rather than statistics.

1 Like

Thanks for finding the 21-22 CDS, I didn’t see it!

Makes sense.

I don’t mean to be offensive, but what does “people’s own experience” mean? Do some people “experience” race differently from other people?

1 Like