UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Thanks for the info :
We are looking forward to it and maybe some fun swag :grin:
It is hard to take a day off school , work , sports etc but will be well worth it .

1 Like

My brother-in-law has a picture on his desk of his ā€œcrewā€ from college. Heā€™s a few years younger, but weā€™re still talking 20+ yrs ago. Theyā€™re outside the Big House, about 10 of them. We laugh at the diversity, how it could be used as a marketing picture for the school. Three black men, four or five white men (three who are Jewish, including my bro-in-law), I believe two asians, and probably his best friend in the world from Spain.

Obviously sample of one and not particularly recentā€¦but I would be surprised if others did not feel UM was much more diverse than just about anyoneā€™s HS or hometown (unless, of course, you lived smack in the middle of a major metro city).

The only issues my bro-in-law ever had was some borderline antisemitism from a few faculty members. He jokes there definitiely wasnā€™t any of that in admissions, and never felt it on campus because of the large Jewish population. But did say a few profs were not shy in hiding their feelings, and pre Rate My Professor they knew who to avoid.

2 Likes

I would like to thank you for your perspectives over the past several week : your comments have always been interesting and insightful .
It is a stressful time. I think all our kids will end up at great places after the up and downs of admissions .

2 Likes

@Unimom13 I know Iā€™m not ā€œspeakingā€ to the diversity of campus with this post, but hereā€™s a report on Michiganā€™s ā€œDiversity, Equity and Inclusionā€ that covers the entire university for the decade between 2010-2020.

https://obp.umich.edu/wp-content/uploads/pubdata/almanac/Almanac_Ch7_Mar2021.pdf

Iā€™ll let you make your own judgements about all the charts and graphs, but I found it interesting that the entire university is almost 73,000 people, including employees, faculty and instructional staff, undergrads, grads, etc. The entire population of A2 is 121,000.

ETA: Weā€™re from the SF Bay Area for a little perspective. Both kids went to a large public with a lot of diversity.

3 Likes

Thank you. I will look at this. I wish we had a few
More days on campus. I also wished we went to the north side of campus. Someone in the admitted students discussion asked the student panel
If anyone was ever ā€œstuck onā€
The north side of campus referring to the dorms. I was a little shocked because it sounded so negative. Fortunately a student did reply and said she did stay there and her experience
Was
Wonderful.

Donā€™t worry. We understand. College application process is hard, not only for kids, but also for parents.

2 Likes

So listed already were sites for that information. But look at the clubs and organizations that might support what your looking for. There are many that are geared for just about any race, gender, etc. My son was looking for a school with diversity since his high school was very diverse. I know Michigan is attempting to do better. Most of his friends in high school and at Michigan were mixed races. You tend to find your peeps. Reach out to the student org now and see what they have to offer.

1 Like

For some reason, itā€™s a VERY long 2 (or whatever) miles. :laughing:

BTW, Michigan will be building new dorms on North Campus over the next couple of years:

1 Like

I have two kids attending currently and they find the student body very diverse across several characteristics: race, gender, ethnicity, political thought and LGTBQ.

I grew up around Ann Arbor and would think most people find it extremely diverse and welcoming.

3 Likes

Thanks. When we were there she did attend the breakout session about learning communities. She was also trying to speak to the reps of the multicultural organizations that were there. I think I will ask her if she wants to reach out and see if
Thereā€™s a way to get more questions answered
And a better idea of how she can be active. I appreciate your feedback and will share it.

If youā€™re on Facebook, since your daughter has already been accepted, you can join University Of Michigan Parents (parent group by parents) you will get a feel for current parents and student issues, both good and bad. I think your question would be welcomed there as well. (Itā€™s worth joining fb for that group aloneā€¦ā€¦itā€™s been a very valuable source of information and the parents go above and beyond to help one another out)

4 Likes

Has anyone asked admissions if the school will add campus tour dates/times in April?

Similar here! Hubs alum D19 got in EVENTUALLY one of the last waves when EA was announced before holiday break. We were super stressed that time. This time D22 heard Early ( well January) for the new EA and were were flabbergasted that she got EA - as weā€™re prepared to be postponed like the majority of her large hs class that applies. Michigan knows that that they are different and that this frustrates both kids and parents alike. D19 is enjoying her time ! D22 is visiting Ross this weekend. And hubs as a alum is thrilled to go back for parents/homecomingā€¦ as most alums must be because the hotels are ALREADY sold out!

u said it bestā€¦. once in, they seem to love it! And Michigan does not want to be the ^in case i donā€™t get into the Ivies^ or the ā€˜top state school i applied toā€. they want to be your number 1!

fingers crossed for all those still waiting- almost at finish line!

@CULSE - my daughter asked and they said they would be adding more admitted student days. Also got the standard answer that postponed decisions would be released first week in April (note did not say early April - lol).

2 Likes

sooooooā€¦. the diversity is being worked on. HUGE DEI process. Google umich dei. More diverse in past, huge legislation made it ā€œillegalā€ ( may not be the best word but u get my drift) for state university to admit or select based on race (unlike the Ivies or other PRIVATE universities).

so UMich recognizes their diversity has taken a hit and needs work ~ both student wise as well as faculty wise)

1 Like

Omg that just made me realize I would be the parent at parentsā€™ weekend, and I wouldnā€™t have to travel or get a hotel! Another week or so to dream :blush: :blush: :blush:

Parents weekend is homecoming weekend this year, so good luck to kids who get accepted in April and any parents for whom the whole idea of parents weekend is new to them (as it was me) and didnā€™t have the foresight to book a room on spec the minute the dates were announced.

The day D22 got accepted (2/25), I booked a hotel for the night before her admitted student day (easy peasy ā€¦ tons of availability and I just booked a Hyatt on points). The next day (2/26), she told me she wanted us to come for parents weekend. We live in Michigan so I was just planning on coming for the day, but then I read the info and saw that it was a Fri/Sat thing, so I booked a hotel ā€¦ and wow! Availability was sparse. I am not entirely sure if my hotel is close enough to catch the shuttle to campus on game day ā€¦ it looks like itā€™s close to the hotels where there is a pick up, but this is all new to me.

Lesson learned. Iā€™m grateful to have the opportunity to attend parents weekend, but Iā€™m definitely feeling like a newbie.

Hah anyone remember the Michaguama days?? :skull_and_crossbones: I was standing right outside the Union and looked up and BAMMā€¦ the beginning of the end! It was CrAzY!

Yes, thatā€™s us we didnā€™t book in time and are waiting on other acceptances before deciding the truly last minute strategy. Itā€™s been so hard with Covid. IF my kid has UM as one of top 2 acceptances weā€™ll drive (more than 10 hours), if itā€™s lower, it might be talking to a couple of grads. This group seems friendly with a couple of odd exceptions so Iā€™d just reach out directly to the accepted students Parents groups and ask questions there.
Just walked for 5 hours on another tour for accepted students elsewhere. Saw more than I think most alumni see. Deans of students are relentless and in good shape. Itā€™s purely a numbers game. For them, for us. Honestly, Iā€™m exhausted and so was my 18 year old.

Hotels are probably already booked for Parents Weekend. We went last year and itā€™s way too packed for my enjoyment, so we planned and booked an AirBnB and will attend a different football game this fall.

3 Likes