UMich Ann Arbor Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

I didn’t know the B1G gymnastics championships were today, thank you!

And I forgot about the women’s b-ball team. D18 attended the game, but left in the 3rd Quarter when the score was 55-25 against American U (final score 74-39) to watch the men play.

And I’m at an AA figure skating recital :confused:

1 Like

^^^^this is what makes Michigan so great. Great academics, great sports. Great research, internships, job opportunities. Great campus and city. All with really smart kids that push each other to excel… What’s not to like?

On another sports note. Murray St vs St Peter’s is a really, really good game. Second half coming up.

6 Likes

This is a note for @sushiritto and @knowsstuff. Just wanted you both to know how much I have appreciated your posts this year (and last year when my oldest was going through the process). Whether it’s commenting on the tourney or the crazy admissions process, you guide us with insight and knowledge and a love for Michigan that is undying. Your posts are consistently positive and uplifting and show us one of the intangibles that Michigan has to offer: school pride. Thank you.

53 Likes

!And don’t forget Michigan Men’s Hockey won Big 10 Championship today, I’m already following and my kids haven’t even committed yet. We attended Campus Day last week (3/11) and left very impressed (it even snowed all day). Both my twins DS22 & DD22 were admitted EA. My son & I attended the 3/12 hockey semifinal (against ND) and were blown away by the school spirit. Ok, we’re from Bay Area CA so not familiar with college hockey enthusiasm, but still…WOW. Michigan standing strong on our list (especially after a waitlist & reject from UCLA yesterday). Well, 2 weeks to go until al decisions out. So grateful, that my kids have UMich as an option.

11 Likes

It was a busy sports day for Michigan sports:

WBB wins big.
MBB has an upset and makes the sweet 16.
WGymnastics, the reigning national champions, win the Big 10.
Hockey wins the Big 10.
Wresting has a Big 10 individual champion and the team finishes 2nd in theBig 10.

4 Likes

Men’s Tennis downed Ohio State yesterday!

But your kids can play sports also at Michigan with the intermural leagues. My son played flag football at 10:00 pm on Sundays (yes 10:00 pm… Lol). He played softball on a team that he said sucked but they had a lot of fun and actually got paid to ref and umpire for the league. Great stress reliever from engineering and over $10.00/hour.

Also great way to meet others when new to campus.

3 Likes

Thanks for the insights - congrats on your UM offer and good luck on making a decision!

1 Like

Well, D got me a CFP Semi hat from Miami. So there! :grinning:

1 Like

Both Michigan’s Women and Men’s basketball play Villanova next week. :basketball:

2 Likes

Besides Ross, were there any reported acceptances or rejections this past week?

I don’t think so.

Monday morning portal astrology report: no changes to the portal.

3 Likes

Are you sure?

On mine it looks like they have changed the body font from “Helvetica” (left) to “Helvetica Neue” (right)

Does anyone else see this on their portal?

What does it mean?

2 Likes

That’s hilarious.
Anyway, I should have been more clear - wasn’t trying to read tea leaves. Specifically: there wasn’t the “black splash screen” that appeared the Monday before EA results. Others reported that this change had happened in years past as well so it’s a sign some of us look for as an indication that results will be out in the next few days.

Enjoy your day.

Michigan received 83,000 applications this year. So unfortunately they will have to turn down plenty of top kids. Too many qualified applications. I remember touring Tufts and a very assertive parent kept asking the admissions officer about kids from her son’s high school that were turned down w/ top stats and great ec’s. The AO finally said 70% of our applications are qualified so yes we unfortunately turn down lots amazing students every year. Put it in perspective.

1 Like

Yep Welcome to the future of “test optional”. Every school especially top competetive schools saw a huge increase in applications these past two years. Maybe schools like this with an increase to their revenue and decrease to their selectivitiy numbers or maybe they dont with it being more work. More kids who might otherwise not applied or been rejected due to poor standardized scores are getting in and more who choose to submit scores that may be at or below 50% even some above are being turned down. There’s a whole new pool of applicants to these schools and the number of spots isn’t increasing. Just wish they would either make up their minds and go completely testless (evening the playing field based upon everything else in the application) or going back to test required for all so that people dont have to guess as to whether or not they should take tests and submit or not submit scores.

12 Likes

How do you know they received that many applications for 2022? I’m wondering where to find that info, do you happen to have a link?

1 Like

Sorry - that was for the UC System since I thought I was still on the Berkeley board.

Julie they told applicants at an admitted student event. 83,000 is the rounded number-the exact number is a bit higher.

Yes, test optional at all of these schools increased applications, but they still see the rigor of classes, how well the student performed in them, and look for the stand out leadership and extracurriculars. Plus the kids essays.

By May 1 kids will be depositing and getting excited about the schools that did accept them. Although I know some students who were admitted in previous years off the UM waitlist right before May 1-it just depends how high that year’s yield is. It all works out in the end and for some waitlisted kids hearing the high number of applications will make them feel better.