UMich Waitlist

So I was waitlisted from UMich yesterday but I’m not sure what I can do to increase my chances of getting off the waitlist. I know that last year only 0.5% of students got off the waitlist so my chances aren’t likely, but I’d like to give my best shot. Does UMich allow LOCI’s? On the waitlist FAQ, it states, “We will not accept any additional documents from you unless specifically requested, as they will not impact your final decision.” Does that mean they don’t allow LOCI’s?

4 Likes

Last year .5% were admitted from the waitlist pool of over 13k students, definitely a small number. However, although it’s probably safe to assume it will be a ridiculously low number again this year, there’s some hope it will be higher given the previous years numbers. Those were 13%, 2% and 7% from a smaller pool of waitlisted students.

13% was probably 2020, when many waitlisted students were accepted due to Covid gap year requests.

Where do you get those numbers from (13%, 2%, 7%, 0.5%)? Does anyone have a link?
Do you know how many applicants were there this year and how many were accepted?
Does anyone know how many were waitlisted this year?

UMich posted these numbers on the Waitlist FAQ on their admissions website. Here is the link: Waitlisted Applicants FAQ | University of Michigan Office of Undergraduate Admissions

No official numbers on how many applicants were waitlisted this year. UMich stated that there were about 84000 total applicants this year. Not sure how many were admitted.

2 Likes

If my son shows intention to accept the waitlist offer, is it a commitment?

1 Like

No it’s not. You’re only accepting a spot on the waitlist. If they offer admission later they’ll give you a few days to say yes or no.

2 Likes

My son has been waitlisted. I have 2 questions
1- Are the waitist spots ranked?
2-Does U of M sends decisions in batches or is it rolling decisions as and when a spot opens up?

1 → no, as per U-M
2 → in batches, as per the experts here

Also, you may want to read the FAQ linked in the post above

1 Like

So the word on the street is lots of schools “might” go to the wait lists early this year like right before or after May 1st. If after yes you have to pay and commit to another school and yes you will lose that deposit…

I hope things become much clearer sooner…

Good Luck.

4 Likes

I am wondering the same about LOCIs? Should one be sent?

I went on UMich’s website and asked one of the representatives working there and they said LOCI’s and any additional documents were not being accepted at this time unless you were specifically asked to…but I’ve also heard that many people have submitted a LOCI so…I guess it doesn’t really solve the question…

2 Likes

This year has been brutal with WL’s. Here’s hoping there is significant movement.

3 Likes

More experienced parents – does UMich notify students when the class is closed and no additional students will be taken from WL? a few other schools indicated that they notify kids on WL as soon as possible if they will NOT go to the WL for their given college or major or in-state/OOS. just curious.

Oooo - that word on the street gives me a little hope. Was there any reason behind why? Thanks!

Locally some schools reach out to the AOs they are top known schools. Think like trickles not floods of people

2 Likes

I read from the internet that some one got off waiting list a couple of days ago. Was there a pre May 1 wave of waitlist acceptances?

There haven’t been any waves here on CC.

You have to remember that Michigan has many schools, so some of the smaller schools, such as SMTD, Taubman, Social Work, Kinesiology, Nursing, etc., may only pick one or two applicants here and there.

Please post if anyone gets off waitlist

2 Likes

And when posting, (for the benefit of both current and future WL applicants) please mention:

• the school and major you applied to
  • in-state or OOS (mention which state)
  • application cycle: EA/RD
  • whether you requested financial aid and if yes, whether you got any
  • whether or not you will accept the admission offer. If not, then which school are you headed to?

Thank you, and best wishes to all!

4 Likes