UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@Roentgen and @atticusfinch
Hey guys, I see you two have quite some experience in this program so if you could give me your opinions on the chances of an interview invite that would be highly appreciated.
SAT:2090 Math-700 Critical Reading-680
GPA: 4.7

Class Rank: 1/750

AP Exams(16 Exams by the end of Senior year):

I would put scores but they didn't ask in the application so I am not sure they care.

Awards:

Ap Scholar

Leadership:
Berkmar Leadership team
Vice president of Computer Science Club

National Youth Leadership Camp in Medicine at Emory University

Activities:
Spanish Club
NHS
Beta
Computer Science
Future Business leaders of America
Relay for Life
Health Experiences:
Shadowed a Doctor for over a year, around probably 100 hours
Volunteered at local hospital for 2 summers, around 80 hours
Went to National Youth Leadership Camp in Medicine

Essays: To be honest, I am pretty confident about my essays and think they are pretty good.
Recommendations: Very Strong.
I know my SAT isn’t the best but I was thinking my class rank,GPA, and decent medical experiences might give me a shot what do you guys think?

^^^^^^ Also I forgot to add that I was out of State^^^^^^^^

@somuawan, you’re correct, your SAT score is relatively low for the out-of-state pool, which can be pretty tight these days, since out-of-state has the least number of total spots given (compared to the total number of in-state and regional slots). That being said, I do think your GPA and high school class rank does mitigate the impact, since even at so-called “easier” high schools, it still can be tough to be ranked #1 in the class, so any concern about being able to handle the fast-paced curriculum is addressed by that, vs. a one-day exam.

I think you do have a good shot at receiving an interview.

Thanks a lot I appreciate the input, now let’s wait and see.

@AtticusFinchh and @Roentgen
thank you for you guys’ input. Things you guys pointed out are indeed the major weaknesses I worried about.
My unweighted GPA is 3.98 (I had a “B” during freshman year in ESL class…), and I did mention my AP Exam and the short time I got here in my essay.

The main reason I didn't join lots of club and doctor shadows until senior year is that those requires lots of conversations and I was too embarrassed/afraid to do that because my lack of speech & listen ability and lack of common-sense vocabulary. Therefore I chose research during high school witch mainly uses technical terms and more emphasized on individual thinking. Another reason for that is I never heard about bamd program until beginning of my senior year, so I thought I have plenty of time to do doctor shadowing and was completely unprepared. (of course, those two reasons are completely my own mistake )

To improve my English ability, I'm taking both AP English Literature and Research Method (the class that teach us write 20-page research papers.) this year. Hope two "A"s in those classes help me reduce my "English weakness" during admission process?

I'm going to take ACT again on December (mainly for scholarships of other college), and I'm pretty confident I'll get a 30+ (I already know 99%of the stuff and all I need is the speed..). Will that prove my ability and increase my chance of acceptance during interview(if I get one)?

Also, how do high school student apply for doctor-shadowing experience in hospital? I mean... do they search for specific doctor and contact them individually, or do they contact hospital? and what position(s) do they usually ask?This is completely new for me, and I don't want to act weird....

Last, how should I prepare for the interview? Is there any advise you guys can give me?

Sorry for the excessive questions and thank you very much for your patient to answer them.

@duravative,

So, there are several red flags that I see based on what you just typed:

Part of being an effective clinical physician involves being able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in the written word (when you document your patient encounter in your clinical note) without a problem. You’ll have to do this for standardized patients in med school, on your clinical rotations, your Year 5 clerkships, the USMLE Step 2 CS exam, internship, residency, etc.

So while you may have been embarrassed/afraid, the only way to get over this challenge is to meet it head on, and not shy away from it, which might have been your first impulse. As a physician, you have to have a good listening ability, since you have to elicit a history from a patient by asking them questions. Medicine is not just drawing blood to get lab values and doing imaging scans which will give you the answer w/o having to talk to the patient. All these things: listening ability, vocabulary etc. only come with practice and more exposure – which most people get that exposure from being born and raised here and going thru school from Kindergarten to 12th grade, but in your case you will have to make up for as much as possible.

While research is a good flashy thing to have on a CV, it’s so much different than real clinical medicine. So it’s more the frosting on a cake, so to speak. It doesn’t mean it can’t be spun to a positive when it comes to explaining, why medicine. Contrary to what most students/premeds believe (even I didn’t know this as well), a lot of medicine done in hospitals, etc. involves working as a team, not as individuals, where care can be much more fragmented (and thus expensive). All the more reason that language skills are important. With the implementation of Obamacare, more and more care will be team-based, and less individual-based (like a solo private practice), save for very few specialties (Rads - although you do call consultants with findings, Derm, Ophtho, Path, certain subspecialty fellowships, etc. - which are just inherently individual) and even then these can change as well (like Interventional Radiology). This is much different than say Dentistry, where it’s much more individual-based, which is why most dentists are in a solo or group private practice.

Ok, so let me address your points:

1. Your grades later in your senior year will not impact your admission to the UMKC BA/MD program. UMKC (as far as I know) does not ask for mid-year grades, the way some universities do.

2. The last ACT that UMKC’s BA/MD admissions will take I believe is the last date before the November 1 date, so your December ACT date won’t be seen, honestly.

3. Often times for shadowing, at hospitals, you can ask their department for volunteers and they’ll let you know how shadowing physicians works, if they allow it. Much more often, at least at the high school level, people shadow private practice doctors. You can shadow your family physician, for example, and that person might know other doctors in other specialties who don’t mind kids shadowing them, and thus it’s more just networking and being connected to the right people. Honestly, that won’t help you now for UMKC’s program, obviously.

4. The interview format for UMKC’s BA/MD program has also changed. It has changed to the MMI (multiple mini interview) format. Other Bachelor/MDs might still be in traditional interview format. I am not sure if at UMKC it is 100% MMI or whether they have still retained some traditional interview characteristics as well. You can find books on the MMI on Amazon: One example - http://www.amazon.com/Multiple-Mini-Interview-MMI-Strategies/dp/1937978052/. But you can also Google “MMI” or “Multiple Mini Interview” along with the words “medical school”, here is one example from Googling: http://www.med.nyu.edu/school/md-admissions/mmi-faqs.

You’re not asking excessive questions at all and there is no need to apologize for that. That’s what College Confidential is for, and speaking for myself, I’m happy to answer any questions about the program, medical school, medicine, etc. in the best way I can, as I am sure others are also.

And don’t worry about not having prepared your CV for applying to BA/MD programs since the beginning of 9th grade. Most students in the early years are trying to get a good handle on getting good grades, then juggling good school ECs, as well as doing their very best on the ACT or SAT first, so you’re not as “behind” as you may think you might be.

Sort of a random question, but is there any point for me to take the AP Physics 1 exam this May assuming I get into the program?

@Watang, not random at all. It’s a great question. You can see the scores that you would need to get on exams to get testing credit here: http://www.umkc.edu/registrar/transfer-credit/#anchor-2. For many of the AP Exams, there is an alternative CLEP exam available that is offered much more frequently that will also give you credit.

You can see the BA degree plans with the MD degree here:[ul]
[]Liberal Arts: http://www.umkc.edu/majormaps/maps/2015-2016/SOM_BLA_MD_2015_2016.pdf
[
]Biology: http://www.umkc.edu/majormaps/maps/2015-2016/SOM_BA_MD_Bio_2015_2016.pdf
[li]Chemistry: http://www.umkc.edu/majormaps/maps/2015-2016/SOM_BA_MD_Chem_2015_2016.pdf[/ul][/li]Having credit for General Physics I would help if you decide to do the BA in Chemistry, but other than that, it would not be helpful towards your Bachelor’s degree.

APs that are generally useful in the BA/MD program:[ul]
[]AP Chemistry (students that enter UMKC in 2012 or later, need a score of 4 to get at least a semester’s worth of credit, score of 5 for full year credit; a score of 3 gets you nothing, anymore)
[
]AP English Language for Discourse I credit - although most people are waivered from Discourse I with a 690 Verbal on the SAT or an ACT English subscore of 30 or above.
[]AP Psychology
[
]AP US History or AP US Govt. (for the Missouri Constitution requirement)
[]AP Calculus (since a math course is now an actual course requirement for the BLA) or you could do CLEP College Algebra
[
]AP Foreign Language[/ul]
AP English Literature is useless and does not give you credit for Discourse II at UMKC, and I get asked this a lot – but AP Biology is also useless at UMKC. You do not get credit for General Biology I and II at UMKC thru the AP Exam.

Oh I actually received a 1 on the AP Calculus test, so does that mean I will need to take the course again at UMKC?

@Watang, I believe if you look at the comparison between the Major Maps: http://med.umkc.edu/docs/admissions/DegreeOptions.pdf, College Algebra is the lowest math course that still fulfills the Math requirement for the Liberal Arts degree, For Bio/Chem, you have to have either Calculus or Statistics.

If you end up choosing the Liberal Arts degree, you can either take AP Calculus AB again and get the minimum score needed to get credit, or you could also take the CLEP test for College Algebra. For the Bio or Chem degree, you can either take the AP Calculus AB exam or AP Statistics exam.

And of course, you can always take the math course at a local community college/university and transfer it in, or taking it at UMKC for credit and GPA.

@Roentgen
Thank you vary much for your information. I really appreciate it!

hi! I’m in the program right now and I came in with physics credit from a community college, and it counted as a focus credit for me- essentially a required elective. I’m not sure if this would apply for AP credit, but I am pretty sure it does.
It can’t hurt to take the test.

@painter11 – which focus requirement did your Physics credit go towards (A, B, C, or Elective)? I ask because in all three major maps (Liberal Arts, Bio, Chem), the Focus Elective is already fullfilled by Year 1 Micro + Micro Lab, anyways, which is a requirement for all 6 year BA/MD students.

Hi everyone!
I’m currently working on my UMKC supplemental application, and I’ve been having problems with pages being marked “incomplete” even when I’ve completed all the required spots. Is anyone else having this issue? And if so, how to solve it?

@yenluu98, is there a save feature at the bottom at all on the application where you have to click on it before moving on to the next section and filling that out? If it’s there, and you don’t click it, the application will likely not save any info you typed, before you move to the next section.

@Roentgen Thank you for responding! Yes, there is a save button at the bottom of each page of the application. I’ve saved each page, but somehow, the pages are all marked incomplete, even when all the blanks have been filled and saved. I will probably call UMKC admissions tomorrow to ask about it. Thank you once again!

@yenluu98, sorry it didn’t work! Yes, I would for now just type it all into a Word document, so you just have to cut and paste it into the application when it does start working, after calling UMKC Med admissions. The Regular Application Deadline is on November 1st, which is on a Sunday, so you pretty much have until November 1st, 11:59 pm in which to submit it (obviously don’t wait till Sunday).

@yenluu98 That is true. It shows incomplete though a section may be complete. Guessing, it will remain until all the sections are done. But hope it goes away when all sections are completed and when you click submit.

@yenluu98 – I encountered that too. There is a solution however. On each page there is a Submit button. When you press that for each page, that is when it really “saves” it and puts a checkmark by it on the list. Every time you edit it, you just press submit again. This “submit” is not the “real” submit that you press at the end of the application.

Hope this helps!

@Roentgen Just thought I’d let you know that I got a letter from them in the mail. I submitted on the Early Deadline. They said that they have accepted me into the general university and that they forwarded my supplementals to the med school. Also, they confirmed that the next time I hear from them will be for interview status.