UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

when do we find out about the toledo chem test, also what gpa do we have to maintin for senior yr?

i have to ask extremefobs question again:
what percent of students get into their top choices for residencies? and suppose someone like me wanted to get into a residency in like Harvard, wouldn’t i have to work super hard in UMKC as i were in a regular undergrad?

If you go on the med schools’ website and go to publications and then select PRN, then back issues, the match list is usually published in the April issues.

i have been accepted to both UMKC and ALBANY at RPI for their med programs and i was wondering which i should go to. Does anyone have any info on how they compare or the positives and negatives of each?

thanks

i heard umkc is pretty hardcore. I would choose rpi/albany

if you are accepted into any other medical program thats at large school e.g. conley scholars at MU. ide take that because i think the larger schools offer more of a college experience that ide take in a heartbeat over umkc.

Hi I had a question about transferring into a bs=md program. I’m actually finishing up my first year as a pre-med. I know st. george’s in the caribbean allows transfers to come in the 3rd year into their 6 year program. I was wondering if any schools in the us allow that?

just to help everyone out, here is the match list for umkc that I found:

<a href=“Post your school's match list! | Page 4 | Student Doctor Network”>Post your school's match list! | Page 4 | Student Doctor Network;

That is the match list for year 2005.

I got into the UMKC program this year, and though I was very excited about it, I don’t think I will accept it simply because the match list is a bit underwhelming. Don’t get me wrong: it is a great program and if you want to be a doctor, it is surely a good place to go. However, I was not comfortable entering a place where I could work as hard as possible and still not get a good residency as a result.

In no way am I trying to discourage anyone from joining the UMKC program: by all means, it is a wonderful program. But with that said, please do yourselves a favor and do some research and make sure that you are making the right decision.

Edited to add: When I say underwhelming, I am only saying that if I make it to med school, I intend to choose a semi-competitive specialty (surgery, radiology etc) and I saw that, for the most part, UMKC graduates were only successful in internal medicine and pediatrics. Therefore, take my comment with a grain of salt and if you do want to go into internal medicine/be a general physician or pediatrics, then this is still a great program.

i totally agree with Rman. UMKC is a great program for people who want to be a doctor and live in the midwest for the most part (there are exceptions to everything)

as for me, even though i got into UMKC, i will most probably go to one of the east coast, more larger schools.

aisha, in reply to your post UMKC does not allow that. if you have a Bachelors degree you can do MD only which basically is a waste of time in my opinion.

what GPA must be maintained senior year for admission not to be revoked?

i have no idea, i suggest however you do not try to test that out. im sure you can get a few B’s and be ok. C’s and D’s just make you look stupid.

what if i got one C the 1st semester

For admitted students, Which orientation are you going for? I dont understand how we can register for classes if we dont know our AP scores yet…

i thought there was only one orientation, which was on the 29th of april or something?

Is anyone waiting for other programs or are you all UMKC for sure?

there’s several orientations. i went to the first one, before i knew my AP scores. they just signed me up for the classes i would have taken if i failed my APs. then when I got my scores, I emailed them and the reference numbers of my new classes to my advisor and she changed everything for me. just make sure to send official copies of your AP, CLEP, etc scores to UMKC so you get credit.

and, extremefob… don’t worry about it, you’re fine.

yeah there are 4 or so orientations you can attend. end of april, june, july and august. go to the april or june ones in my opinion

M1 and M2 's help me here. How did you figure out your major in this 6 yr program where time is short ? Is bachelor of arts a better approach than chemistry or biology ?

most people do the BLA (bachelor of liberal arts) because the requirements are easiest to fill and will leave you more time to study for the science classes. since i had some college classes and APs, i had enough credit to be done with my BLA after this semester. but it’s up to you, if you’re really interested in chem or bio and are determined to make it work, you can. it’s a lot more time and energy invested, though.