UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

do u have to take the act for Umkc

Yeah… I think they accept SAT too, but prefer ACT.

Hey, does anyone know if the first 2 undergrad years in the program, are they honors classes?

hey guys, those of you that got accepted into umkc 6-year ba/md program, can u please post up ur stats.

thanks.

Hey, I was looking at the UMKC website and according to this page: <a href=“http://www.umkc.edu/registrar/creditbyexam.asp[/url]”>http://www.umkc.edu/registrar/creditbyexam.asp&lt;/a&gt; I am eligible to get AP credit for US History, European History, English Language, Calculus BC and Chemistry…this May I’ll be taking APs in US Gov & Politics, Comparative Gov & Politics, English Literature, Biology and Physics B. Are any of these credits, earned and potential, useful for the 6 year program?

i don’t think that applies to the UMKC 6 year program.

Yes, you can bring in up 30 hours in AP or dual credit classes.

otacon-- were you talking about the honors classes?

so has everyone that’s been accepted seen the campus? i finally got a tour and I was fairly impressed. Also has anyone (in state) been notified of the Curator’s Scholarship (3500/yr)? I know they only give out eight of them.

i’ve been accepted to umkc, but am not going there. i really did not like the campus, but to each his own.

villageidiot - yes, i was talking about the honors classes.

Hey everyone. I’m 16 1/2 and currently finishing up my sophomore year of high school and am convinced, after thoroughly researching everything, that I want to be in the 6 year med program at UMKC. I currently have a 3.92 GPA which may drop to a 3.7 at the end of this semester (I’m working on getting it back up). Next year, I’m taking AP Bio, honors chem 2/3, and AP European history. Senior year I plan on taking AP chem and organic chem along with AP psychology. This summer I am applying for a job at a hospital and may shadow a doctor, along with volunteering at the red cross. I play water polo at my school and also fence (currently first in the midwest circuit).

Any words of advice or anything else would be greatly appreciated, and I am seriously freaking out over my grades currently because their site said that they require students to be in the top 20% of their class.

Thanks =)

hey, i’m glad you want to be a doctor. at your age, i was EXACTLY like you. i knew i wanted to do UMKC or some accelerated program, but now, i’m completely different. i still want to be a doctor, but i want to go about a different way of doing so. i would first go visit colleges and do an overnight stay with a host and see what college is all about, because there is more to college than just studying. depending on what you wanna do and where you wanna live, choose your colleges wisely. UMKC is great for internal medicine, primary care, and family practice, but lacks in areas such as surgery and other specialities. UMKC’s match list for residencies are not off the charts, so that might be another thing to consider: you may be stuck in the midwest, or kansas, for a while. i’m not degrading UMKC, it’s a great school, but be open minded to other choices and programs as well.

I already looked at a lot of other colleges. I’m mainly interested in cosmetic surgery. I want to go to UMKC because I know a lot of people in Kansas City (my brother for example, who will be in his 5th year when I graduate). I’m always open to something new, but so far, in every category, Kansas City has seemed like the right choice for me.

Otacon (who is a good friend of mine, in person) is correct in that UMKC is biased toward the so-called “entry-level” fields of medicine. Yet I am also acquainted with UMKC graduates in more “elite” areas such as cardiology, surgery, etc. It is true that as a UMKC student you will be generally set on a path towards internal medicine, but that does not mean you will be unable to choose any other specialty. It is, however, likely that at UMKC, you will have to work harder and essentially top the class in order to gain one of those coveted residencies (cosmetic surgery is one such area), but then again you will probably have to do so no matter where you choose to go.

Is this impossible?

Certainly not, but it means you’ll have to work. Then again, in a conventional undergraduate program you will also have to work very hard in order to have a competitive application to medical school, though, as otacon mentioned, you will in all likelihood have a better social life.

Ultimately, in nearly any educational program (certainly UMKC’s) you should be able to succeed if you put enough effort into it. If UMKC is truly your first choice as you look over your options senior year, you will probably be able to do just fine in whatever field you choose to pursue.

Yet the true dilemma (at least for me) is which program will allow me to be a WELL-ROUNDED physician, one able to speak smoothly and in a comforting manner as well as operate on your dislocated vertebrae. While I feel that the program at UMKC will be extremely rigorous, I also feel that as an undergraduate with no guaranteed medical school slot, I would be even more stressed as I would have to work just as hard, while still worrying about looking good enough to get into medical school. I have yet to determine whether this additional stress is worth having that “party scene,” especially when KU and its active social scene is relatively close. My greater worry is that of burning out (you probably know that at UMKC your summers will be occupied with classes). Though in a conventional program my summers would also be occupied, these occupations would be internships, research, etc, while at UMKC the seemingly monotonous routine of classes would continue. Would comparative lack of “life experience” hinder me in my future career as a (hopefully) specialized physician, or will my mental fortitude allow me to surpass such an obstacle and grow individually anyway? Will I, for example, be able to make chief resident (quite useful if one wishes to enter a competitive field) with a 2-year age disparity? It is this sort of question that makes me worry that I only have one month to make this decision (of which only half remains).

I’m not going to tell you my answer, because I don’t know it yet (though I can tell you that Kansas City is a good place if you want to raise a family here, though perhaps lacking in excitement). I have basically outlined the questions I am asking myself about where I wish to attend college. If you have any more questions (now that I think of it, this post may be more of a rant than a legitimate answer to your query) feel free to PM me; I’ll be glad to help. Good luck!

And to swamyismyguru, some of my stats:

ACT 35 (missed the 36 by one question >_<)
SAT 2270
PSAT 210

GPA 3.95ish UW, 4.5ish W

APs (in all, I earned As)
European History-3
English Language-4
Calculus BC-4
Chemistry-3
American History-5

Senior year AP courseload:
English Literature
Biology
Statistics
American Government
Comparative Government
Physics B

I see. Anyone know anything about average GPA’s of people who get accepted into the 6 year program?

Is it absolutely necessary to have a car?

is it possible to get into this program with like a 3.8-3.9 weighted and 3.3 to 3.4 unweighted?

you would be at a disadvantage

i was wondering if anybody knew the match stats for the UMKC 6 year med program. from what i saw online, most of the people applying to residencies in primary care (general, peds, internal) got into great places…but in the other fields, not so hot. does anybody know if the program has an emphasis on primary care physicians? how many of the students get their 1st or 2nd match?

swamyismyguru - that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t apply to the program. Up your extracurrics and your other scores, try to bring up the gpa, and you can make your chance better. It’s not all about your gpa.