UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@marylaf98 - The data is not from any source. As I stated this is what I heard and seen. Sorry if this caused confusion. Understand this fast paced program is all about rigor of course work one has done and how they performed in those classes. They are trying to evaluate applicants who can cope up with the rigor as well as how much interest to the Medical field. Since the process is holistic, lot of factors goes into consideration including ethnicity, rural area especially from MO residents, etc. So don’t get discouraged that one doesn’t have 11 to 13 AP courses. It presents a strong case to the Admission committee, IMHO. From the statistics of personal data (not any published data), I have seen they do consider students from Schools who they have experience with as well. Again this might not be totally true but only my surmise! Good luck as application deadline is nearing! Please also note my personal data is mostly based on Indian American students. I am sure more than half the applicants are of Indian American origin (Again no published data). They do admit 50% of the candidates from Indian American origin (or South East Asian origin).

Hey @CVsurgeon,

So the average unweighted GPA of the matriculating Year 1 student is 3.8 (range: 3.0 – 4.0) and the average ACT score is 31 (which is about an SAT of 1380), so you’re below the average in both respects. This is every pool together (in-state, regional, out-of-state). We don’t have publicly available admissions data in terms of each matriculant pool separately. With respect to BA/MD admissions, each pool is sort of treated as separate silos both when it comes to giving interviews and when it comes to acceptance.

You didn’t list on your ECs, whether you had an leadership positions or not, but that’s also important. I think your healthcare experiences are pretty good. As you can imagine, the academic/standardized test taking prowess in the OOS pool can be quite stiff competition and also because there are so few out-of-state slots allocated in the final Year 1 class, about 10-15 students: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/faqs/. I would apply anyways, do your very best, esp. in the personal statement and short essays and see if you get an interview. Remember, the BA/MD route is very much the alternative route and not THE route to entering med school (for good reason).

You can see how applications are looked at here: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/admission-requirements-eligibility/

Just FYI, in terms of # of AP classes which everyone is talking about here for some reason, UMKC realizes that different schools don’t always have every available AP course offering. Keep in mind it’s not just TAKING the course, but also doing well academically in those courses.

I’ll just summarize and say the plural of anecdote is not data esp. if you don’t have people’s ENTIRE application in front of you and extrapolating to those who get or don’t get interviews/acceptances. The BA/MD pool (esp. at UMKC) is different in terms of applicant racial demographics (always has been) compared to those who do the traditional pathway. Quite a few stellar high school students don’t know Bachelor/MD programs even exist & that’s ok. I know this will shock some people here, but not everyone wants to do a Bachelor/MD path, as there are serious compromises you make by doing one (this varies by particular program, of course). So I’d be a little wary about drawing conclusions without the entire complete data set.

@WGSK88 @dadofd 7 AP classes senior year, I took 4 junior year, 3 sophomore year and 1 freshman year. I did fairly well in the courses throughout. My rank and GPA are quite low due to the fact that I moved twice during my freshman year, so my counselors decided to not factor my grades in. The rank and GPA I have only reflect from sophomore to the end of junior year, and I have no way to change that.

@CVsurgeon - As I stated previously apply and if you get to the interview stage then it’s a first step and you will have a fair chance. Good Luck. My advise is apply to as many programs as you can (especially, if you are only seeking integrated medical programs). Many have catches like high GPA, MCAT, etc. to maintain.

@CVsurgeon,

So at UMKC Med, your cumulative high school GPA on your transcript is not what is used in the UMKC Med admissions process: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/admission-requirements-eligibility/ - “Coursework”

This is how your GPA is calculated based on the 17 core requirements of the university:
– Four units of English
– Four units of mathematics (Algebra 1 or higher)
– Three units of science (including one unit of biology and one unit of chemistry)
– Three units of social studies
– Two units of a single foreign language
– One unit of fine arts (visual arts, music, dance or theater)

I’m guessing your transcript would have your actual grades from freshman year on the transcript, but it would not be calculated as part of a cumulative HS GPA. What I would do is let the UMKC Med admissions people know this, just so that they are aware. It shouldn’t be a problem though in the grand scheme of things just bc UMKC does a separate GPA to sort of standardize everyone.

@Roentgen So if one takes more than the required units to calculate the GPA, does UMKC take the best grades?

@marylaf98,

Great question! I’m not at all sure actually. I would assume that it would essentially start from 9th grade level courses (I say “level” as often students have taken high school courses previously in middle school that count towards high school graduation – i.e. math like Algebra I in middle school) and count the courses chronologically in that UMKC core requirement category up until the certain number of units for that category are reached. When it was a paper application, it looked like this: https://www.umkc.edu/admissions/docs/2009medapplication.pdf (this is from the 2008-2009 application cycle, but I think it is helpful for applicants to see the layout, as it’s easier to read, IMHO), you can see on Page 4 that we had to write out/type the actual courses with grades and units (this was most likely cross referenced to the transcript for accuracy), so there was more leeway at that time in terms of the courses you could write in the boxes. This is likely not the case now, since it’s not part of the application, in terms of what the applicant has to fill out.

I realize esp. in the sciences, it’s possible to have a LOT more than just the 3 units of science. The university admissions office pulls the 17 core requirements from the transcript and calculates a GPA on a 4.0 scale. but I don’t know the details in terms of that (i.e. first 3 sciences you complete vs. the 3 best science grades on your transcript, etc.). For example, I could easily see someone getting a “B” in Biology I Honors and then later on after adjusting to high school life, getting an “A” in AP Biology so then which one would they choose? I don’t know. I would ask the UMKC Med admissions office on how exactly that works.

@Roentgen,

I’m applying to UMKC’s 6 YR Program and would be classified as “regional.” I am from Johnson County, Kansas.

So obviously, as you may know, to even apply to this program, one has to have an ACT of 24, I believe. With that said, this means that the admissions committee does admit students who don’t necessarily have an ACT of 31 or above. Do you know what an applicant’s profile would look like if they had an ACT between 24 and 30? Other than the ACT score, what kind of GPA’s, reference letters, medical experience, etc. do you think these applicants would have to have?

Also, as you may have inferred, I’m asking this question as this applies to me as I have an ACT Score of 27.

@Mabois, so correct, the minimum ACT required is 24. I believe that was instituted in the last few years. The average is 31 but that’s in-state, regional, and out-of-state all together. Obviously there will be people above that average and people below that average.

It’s hard to extrapolate from ACT score to the other components bc they all contribute in some way to the rubric. It’s very “holistic” in terms of how your application is viewed and asssessed: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/admission-requirements-eligibility/

[ul]
[]the candidate’s unweighted high school GPA in the 17 core requirements of the university,
[
]standardized test score, strength of high school curriculum,
[]personal statement,
[
]short-answer responses,
[]high school activities and leadership,
[
]health-related activities and investigation of the profession,
[]official School of Medicine reference forms, and
[
]results of the interview[/ul]
As an applicant, you have no idea how much each specific component contributes percentage wise to the whole, and I don’t know either, in terms of handing out of interviews and getting an acceptance/rejection of an offer made.

So it’s not like one can say with x ACT score, you should have at least y number of healthcare exposure hours or that you should have z GPA, in order to be able to get an interview/be accepted, if that makes sense.

Thank you, do we know typically when interview invitations start from application cut off date Nov 1, 2017… All interviews time line starts in Feb?

@abduljavid,

You can see the timeline here: http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/timeline/

Interviews for the BA/MD program are extended sometime in January.

@abduljavid - For the Class of 2023, the interview email came out on Jan 18 and 4 dates were given Feb 13 to 16 and one has to choose one of those dates for the in-person interview. Offer letter email came out on March 24 around 4 pm CST! People wait-listed also got the email on March 24. Good Luck.

@WGSK88 , @Roentgen -Thank you.

Can people who applied for the program in 2018 post their stats? Including IS, Regional, and OOS

Did anyone else get an email saying their application is incomplete? I recently called the undergrad admissions office and they said they received all my materials.

My DD got an email from UMKC School of Medicine Office of Admissions today saying “At this time, your application has yet to be processed and we want to be sure you have completed all steps required for a complete application. There are one of four reasons your application has not yet been processed”. We checked the UMKC general admission portal, all materials have been received before 11/1. So she fell in their #1 reason:

1. You have submitted a General Application for Admission to UMKC, but your application, transcript and test scores have not yet been processed by the UMKC Admissions Office. Once those documents are processed, your application will be forwarded to the School of Medicine for review. You will receive an email from us when your application is complete and moving forward in the review process. Thank you for your patience during this application processing time.

@Roentgen is this normal to take such long time for the general admission? I am starting to worry and may call general admission office if it is still not processed next week.

I haven’t got any email regarding any of my application materials missing. I got an email on 11/10 stating that all my materials were received and confirmed.

@netopspin When I submitted my gen app for UMKC, it took about 5 weeks to get processed.

@mabois Thanks for the information. This would be the 6th week after my DD submitted her general app.

Hey @netopspin, if all of your application materials: general application, supplemental application, high school transcript, standardized test scores, at least 3 completed reference forms, etc. are submitted by the Nov 1st deadline (meaning they have these things in their hands by Nov 1) then you should be fine.

The UMKC admissions office on the undergrad (Volker) campus does the first “filtering” in terms of admissions to the undergrad (most BA/MD applicants pass thru that filter quite easily, just bc the BA/MD application pool tends to be better academically). Once you’re given admission to the undergrad, then your application is given the green light to move in the process to the UMKC School of Medicine for processing for the BA/MD program. I imagine they have quite a bit of applications to process, hence the lag time. I would call over anyways, just to clarify and make sure that they indeed do have everything. Invitations for interview aren’t given until this coming January.

http://med.umkc.edu/bamd/timeline/