UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

@abduljavid I think they said we would find out by end of march this year.

Very good matching today for this year’s UMKC graduates. Congrats!
http://med.umkc.edu/sa/match-day-2018/

Congratulations to all those who matched in the UMKC Med School Class of 2018. I’ll try to give my analysis later for this year’s match list as I’ve done in past years for applicants.

@Roentgen visualizing match day for 2024 !!! you are here for us since admission process days, fingers are crossed for Direct-Med decision. If I remember correctly from interview day, it is expected sometimes 23/24th.

how do you guys know decisions come out on March 24th?

@srk2k18 Decisions came out on March 24 (Friday) last year. But this year people were told or expecting March 23. Some one posted that they heard it will be end of March. Considering March 26th week is a spring break week for UMKC, it might be well possible it will come out on March 23. Good luck. Or it might be the week of March 26th. Note, this year the interviews were completed only on Feb 27, where as last year the interviews were completed by Feb 16th.

@WGSK88 thanks for the clarification

@srk2k18 Thank you for keeping the discussion live, my son is waiting as well. Hope it will come out soon.

Hi. I was wondering if you could tell me what daily life is like in the program? How much studying is typically done? How much is free time there for other activities? Thanks!

Also, 3 more days everyone!!!

@mdog333 During the orientation before the school starts in the middle of August they do advice parents and students how important is to get the work done on a day to day basis rather then cramming at the last minute. First semester one will be tested in Anatomy course which gives a real dose what college is compared to HS? Yes, I was told they do party like any other colleges. Also you do have lot of extra curricular activities going on based on your interests. They have Indus group where mostly Indian descent have cultural activities once in a while. 2nd/3rd semester is relatively easy compared to 1st semester. 4th semester is the real litmus test for this entire program with Human Structures and Functions (HSF) course where you only take this 23 credit hour course that is split into 3 each spanning 1.5 months/part. The associate dean guarantees if one survives first 2 years - 99% chance they will complete the program. Note some do extend because of not able to maintain C or better grade on any required medical course or required cumulative science gpa of 2.8 or better which is calculated at the end of even semesters. I was also told most students who extend in most cases do well and recover well. You get one chance to extend, otherwise you will be separated from the program. Good luck.

Thanks! P.S. I got in!!

Wait @mdog333 are decisions out?? Did you get an email?

Yes. I just got an email at 4:02 pm Central Time.

Another Rejection…email came at 5:11 PM CST our direct/medical scholar BS/MD route is closed at this point…Going for regular.

@mdog33 Congrats! Did they give you any deadline to accept the offer?

How many OOS do they place on the waitlist?

The deadline to accept is May 1st.

So just a correction to what @WGSK88 posted to @mdog333:

Unless things have vastly changed (& I don’t believe they have), It’s not one chance to extend (I’m assuming you mean 1 year extension at the Year 1 & 2 level) and then separation. You potentially get 8 years to complete the 6 year program due to extension (i.e. required course withdrawal/failure requiring you to take it again the next year although in Years 3-6 they’re able to make it all fit in somehow w/o doing that, taking a year off to do research, etc.).

Also with respect to “if one survives first 2 years - 99% chance they will complete the program”, here are published stats in terms of attrition and those who have have completed the program: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19494705#Comment_19494705.

Hey. I got waitlisted. I live in Kansas. I don’t know my list position. Does anyone know what the chances are of me getting in then?