UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

that doesn’t make sense since they said that it will be released last week of march and plus interviews didn’t even finish until the 13 or 14 of febuary

Hey guys did anyone get a reply from UMKC yet or should we wait until next week?

@curiousstudent123 Except for last year (2019), the results came out earlier on March 13 (Wednesday) - Interviews were in the same time frame. All other years the results were traditionally released Thursday before the UMKC Spring Break. Expect decision by March 26, purely based on history. Yes, it could come anytime from now till March 26. Also, we all understand with the current National emergency situation with COVID-19, things might delay as well. Good Luck!

@UMKCPanda will final decisions come out today around 4 cst?

To all of the current Class of 2020 Year 6 students (both BA/MD program and MD program students) at the UMKC School of Medicine, congratulations on finding out where you matched for residency today!!!

UMKC School of Medicine Class of 2020 Match List:
https://med.umkc.edu/sa/match-day-2020/

This seems like a pretty weak match list @Roentgen ?

A few individuals (maybe like 5 in the entire class) matched spectacularly, rest seems to be below average to average academic programs at best. Thoughts?

@UIC4lyfe, I actually very much agree with you on that assessment, especially in comparison to prior match years for UMKC, in terms of breadth of specialties matched into & institutional program caliber/tier.

I’ll be going into much more detail in a post when I go thru the match list, as I’ve done in previous match years, to analyze it more closely so that future applicants can get a more detailed analysis. But just skimming over it so far, yes. I do think there are several factors at play here both when it comes to the medical school itself & external factors when it comes to the match, but I’ll be including that explanation in my post as well.

Hi

Any idea when results coming out…??

To continue from my yesterday’s UMKC 2020 Matching posting, here is the more detailed summary of some of the Top Residency Programs that UMKC 2020 Graduates (107 Graduates) got in (Once again Congratulations to all the 2020 UMKC Graduates). Not bad for a direct 6 year Med program. UMKC graduates are probably the youngest of Residency Matches in the USA (Some of the 107 - also includes Traditional MD graduates which is roughly about 12 to 14% of the Graduates):

Stanford - 1
Harvard/Massachusetts General - 2
Brown University - 1
Washington University - 1
Mayo clinic, Rochester, MN - 1
U Chicago - 2
U Michigan, Ann Arbor - 1
Baylor - 4
UCLA - 1
UCSD - 1
Case Western - 2
Cleveland Clinic - 1
Tufts Boston - 1
Tulane University - 1
Children’s Mercy, KC - 1
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center - 2
UC Irvine - 1
University of Kansas, Witchita - 1
UIC Chicago - 1
Rush University, Chicago - 3

As I informed before in my earlier postings, don’t jump into looking at only few opinions and do your thorough proper research before making your acceptance decision. The above sums to 29, if my math is right! About 16 graduates matched with in UMKC itself! I haven’t included some of the very good medical schools like UT Austin, Houston and some of the University of Florida Matchings above.

Good luck for all the potential class of 2026 - admission decision soon to be out!

i emailed them and they said by april 1st.

@WGSK88 you make a good point, thanks for your more detailed analysis of the match list.

Just to add in a few of my thoughts as a current medical student. When looking at match lists, I think its easy to get carried away by the tippy top matches of spectacular students. I personally think that it’s more important to see where the average student matches. At any US MD school, there are brilliant students. These students consistently “punch above their weight” when it comes to matching at places like Mass Gen, Brigham, UCSF, etc. Major props to these students.

However, once you account for these students, where does the average student match? These students are the ones you should be paying more attention to, imo. These students are the ones where the opportunities available at the school, and the school name itself matters more.

Taking a look at the list that @WGSK88 provided, I would break it down like this:

Extraordinary Academic programs:

Stanford - 1
Harvard/Massachusetts General - 2
Mayo clinic, Rochester, MN - 1

Good/Still Top Academic programs:

Washington University - 1
U Chicago - 2
U Michigan, Ann Arbor - 1
UCLA - 1
UCSD - 1
Case Western - 2
Cleveland Clinic - 1
Tufts Boston - 1
Baylor - 4
University of Pittsburgh Medical Center - 2

Solid Academic Programs:

Brown University - 1
Tulane University - 1
Children’s Mercy, KC - 1
UC Irvine - 1
University of Kansas, Witchita - 1
UIC Chicago - 1
Rush University, Chicago - 3

Herein lies the root of my earlier observation. I said that ~5 matched to absolute top tier programs. This is supported by the list @WGSK88 provided. I’m possibly missing a few, so lets say 5-10. The remainder of the @WGSK88 are good to solid academic programs. This accounts for, lets say, 30 out of 100-110 students at UMKC. Where do the remaining 70% match? I see a smattering of community programs, as well as more regional academic programs. This is not necessarily bad per se, but it is definitely not as strong as even, lets say, University of Missouri Columbia Medical School, much less a more reputable school. None of this really matters at the end of the day if you just want to be a doctor. However, if you want to do academic work, or become a prominent physician in whatever discipline, where you go definitely does play an impact, but it is not the only factor.

• One other thing I wanted to add. The way I've broken down the above list is based on the strength of their Internal Medicine programs. The strength of the Internal Medicine programs at a given hospital roughly correlate to the strength of the hospital as a whole, and it's so called "prestige." There are some issues with this method of analysis, for example in a field like ophthalmology, the strongest programs are Miami Bascom Palmer, Iowa, Wills Eye Institute- hardly names you would traditionally associate with top programs, but nevertheless are top within a specific field. So take this analysis with a grain of salt, but overall I believe my observations hold truth.

Please feel free to reply with observations, and lets wait to see what @Roentgen has to say.

Thank you for posing @WGSK88

*posting @WGSK88

April 1 is the absolute last day you would know if you got in, but they told us during interviews that they try to send it out the last week of march so no one thinks its an april fools prank lol. But as the previous posts said march 26 seems like a promising date

@UIC4lyfe - I am confused by your classifications. If you take a look for example they had little more than 35K Residency positions in 2019 and about 38K applied. It’s a very small foot print from UMKC 2020 (0.3%) compared to the Nation wide applicants and in that, I still feel that 29 match from UMKC in those residencies, I listed is pretty impressive (I even forgot Indiana University with 1 match from UMKC 2020, which has also one of the good residencies).

You want average students from UMKC getting matched to Stanford, Wash U, Mayo Clinic or Harvard? That doesn’t make sense to me (Am I miss reading your post?) That’s where I am very confused from your initial post and above analysis.

Any how good luck with your medical studies.

I’m not sure what having 35k residency spots and having 38k applicants has to do with UMKC’s individual match list. A significant portion of those applicants are IMGs, FMGs, and DOs. There are more residency spots than there are US MD applicants.

My major point is that for a US MD school, UMKC has a relatively weak match list. The wise and well informed @Roentgen seems to agree with this statement. I also presented my reasoning on why i believe this is the case.

High school students should take significant caution before committing to a 6 year program like this without having all the information. One of those key pieces of information is the match list, especially for a binding program like UMKC with no way to apply out and no real bachelor’s degree conferred.

BS/MD programs are very competitive and naturally draw very bright students, those with high ACT/SAT scores, high GPAs, significant extracurricular activities, etc. Why should a bright high school student commit to a place like UMKC right out of high school when they likely have other great options, considering the significant downsides of attending an institution like UMKC?
This is the main point i hope to bring the conversation on this forum.

I am not sure if this was brought up in a previous post, but what kind of downsides other then the low ranking match list would there be.

Hmmm. I am not sure that there are more residency spots than applicants, if that is true MCAT will become meaningless.

Also, where are we going with this? If we are saying that UMKC is not a good program, then what about the matches from previous year, unless we do a thorough analysis and show a trend, this definitely doesn’t say anything about the strength of the program?
Philip morris could come up with a study that shows smoking is good for health. Anybody can come up with a study or slice the data in a way to make a point.
IMHO

I see what you’re saying here, but I have been as objective as possible with my comments on the match list. Also, see @Roentgen’s previous year analyses here: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22166851/#Comment_22166851. This is not me “slicing the data.”

They match up pretty spot on with what I alluded to in my comments, in terms of UMKC having a weaker match list for US MD school.

This is not a reflection of the effort put in by individual students, but a comment on UMKC as an institution.