UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

Any advice is much appreciated as I am a first gen college student.

I am a junior from Illinois.
Applicant pool: Regional (Illinois)
Race: Indian
Family Income < 32K (Would this help me/Should I mention this in all essays as my family is very financially disadvantaged?)

GPA:
Unweighted: 3.83 (Hopefully going to increase a bit more this semester and 1st semester senior year)
Weighted: 4.52
Not Ranked

ACT: 30
SAT: 1450 (Will increase, plan on taking it many more times and will study for it much more)

High School Activities, Organizations, and Clubs:
Math Team: 9, 10, 11 and present (Won multiple awards and competed for State)
Science Olympiad: 9, 10, 11 and present (On varsity and competed at high level competitions)
STEM Club: 9, 10, 11 and present (VP, and we create major projects for the community)
Interact Club: 9, 10, 11 and present (VP)
Reality Illinois: 9, 10, 11 and present (Consider it my most powerful activity/club. We advocate for smoke free parks, raising the smoking and vaping age. Spoken at multiple town halls w/ representatives present on these issues. We actually contributed in the raising of the age for Tobacco age (met with Governor Pritzker for our contributions)
Tutor low income, disadvantaged Middle Schoolers: 9, 10, 11 and present (Don’t know the exact hours, but 2 hours weekly)
ICNA Relief: 9, 10, 11 and present ( Volunteer at Mobile Clinics working alongside Physicians and/or Nurses conducting medical screenings for immigrant/low-income families. Take blood pressure, blood glucose, cholesterol, and lipid panel data)
American Red Cross (Blood Donor Ambassador): 10, 11 and present: Assist blood donors with check-in, answer donation questions, and assist with clerical tasks. Worked behind the scenes working on paperwork for blood drives and scheduling blood drives and donors
Computer Science Society: 9, 10, 11 and present
Medical Club: 9, 10, 11 and present (President)
Muslim Student Organization: 9, 10, 11 and present (President)
Volunteer at a Hospital: ≈ 200 hours (Just normal volunteering but its a very large hospital so a lot of work)
Teach Islamic Studies to 6-12 year old children at my local Mosque: 10, 11 and present (2 hours on Saturday and Sunday)
Fermilab Physics Program: 2 hour weekly lectures and Q&A’s for 12 Weeks from world renowned physicists

Summer Programs:

RUSH Medical Center Reach Program:
6 week Summer program (Anatomy classes and Medical lectures from physicians and professors

STAHR UMKC Program (online course due to Covid):
6 week program
Medical lectures and Q&A with various medical professionals

Research:
University of Chicago Research Assistant: 6-7 months (Did image analysis of mice aorta’s to determine heart disease medication proficiency with a U Chicago Researcher)

Extra:
Raised a couple of thousand dollars and about a couple hundreds of clothing/toiletries for disadvantaged families when Covid began.

Awards/Honors:
Spanish Honor Society: 10, 11 and present
Math Team Awards: Most regional awards

Thank you!

You said “Any advice”, is UMKC 6 year BS/MD program your target school?
Are you planning to apply BSMDs or want to pursue premed in the traditional path?
If you need general advice on BSMD programs then, IMO you need to post in the below thread. Good luck.
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/thread-for-bsmd-2021-2022/3513271/9999

Mashallah nice preparation work. I think you just have to improve ACT, for regional i would recommend target 33-34 but that is not the only criteria. But looking at your stats, if one area you could focus on is ACT while continue to do others. I am assuming you are interested in applying next yr to UMKC 6yr BAMD program.

I am assuming it will be last week Jan , just based on past read outs in this thread.

Yes I am. Thank you so much for the advice! Do you think I will be considered for an interview?

Yes, my target school is the UMKC BaMD program. How do you think my stats look?

Cant for sure say if interview or not… :slight_smile: but you are on right track… my son (regional ) is in this program 4th year and another son applied this year… you can be in touch if you need more info on this program or KC area, javiabd@gmail.com … Good luck.!

God bless u… for your determination.

With that said, your 30 ACT is very less also for UMKC you are Out of state so it will be little tough.

If your goal is to be a doctor/bsmd, i would look at programs in ILLINOIS itself (instate BS/MD) where you will have better shot.

I am routing for you and pretty sure you will succeed (your determination is showing)

Best

1 Like

Thank you for your advice. I am not submitting my ACT score, but I am submitting my SAT score. Is that also not good enough for UMKC? I am really worried.
Also, as I am regional, isn’t it much easier to get in?

Do you think I would at least be called in for an interview with these stats if I didn’t submit my ACT and submitted my SAT instead? I hope I can get it up to 1500.

Thank you for taking time to reply.

There were a few UMKC BSMD acceptances reported in the below CC thread for the last application cycle. IMO, to get an idea of the acceptances you need to go through them and compare them with yours. In general looking at your stats, to have more chances in any BSMD, you need to pull up GPA past 3.9 and SAT score in the 1500+ range (Ideally 1540+) or ACT in 34+ range. There were a few accepted with GPA and SAT/ACT on the little low side too, but one needs to have strong ECs and essays to overcome the GPA and SAT/ACT lag. If you look at past 2-3 year BSMD acceptances you will find 2-3 lucky folks got into one BSMD just by applying 2-3 BSMDs only. IMO, you need to cast a wider net to increase your chances of getting at least one BSMD acceptance. It is not uncommon several unlucky ones did not secure a BSMD acceptance in past application cycles, it was not their fault at all. Most of these candidates had near-perfect scores/stats, but due to the single-digit acceptance rate of most BSMD programs, worse than Ivy acceptance rates - several applicants, unfortunately, ended the application cycle with not even one BSMD acceptance. Prepare yourself for the traditional path, over 95% of MD seats get filled with candidates from the traditional path only. Good luck.

1 Like

I would agree. To give yourself a shot into getting into UMKC (still applying so I am by no means an expert), get at least a 33 (little bit on the lower side) on the ACT and a 3.9 GPA. Also remember that UMKC superscores! As far as I know UMKC has lower average ACTs and GPAs but it maybe much higher for OOS. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong but good luck!!

1 Like

NP Khan, glad to help you

It’s tough to predict for UMKC ,

They give around 60% to instate , 20-25% regional and remaining OOS .

I am thinking ILLINOIS is OOS for UMKC .

Also you never know what next year will be but for UMKC , ACT is required.

I looked personally ILLINOIS BS/MD for my D but since we were OOS we have to pass it

Good luck

ILL is regional for UMKC

1 Like

Hmmm… Not sure… it said only AR, OK … even if its regional , i will personally shoot for ILL as it’s instate and ONLY instate… so your odds are better. JMHO… (if someone is sureshot want to be BS/MD as best bet)

The incoming class will be 105 – 110 students, with 60-65 students admitted from the state of Missouri, 30-35 students admitted from the regional states (Arkansas, Kansas, Illinois, Nebraska or Oklahoma) and 10-15 students admitted from out-of-state.

[B.A. / M.D. Program FAQs | UMKC School of Medicine]med.umkc.edu/bamd/faqs/)

1 Like

Oh… thanks … I missed ILLINOIS & Nebraska… it’s still 50% though of instate (better than OOS though) in her case.

BTW, my D has applied this year their (OOS) , waiting. let’s see

Considering huge fees and less seats for OOS, there will be less applicants ( assuming ) … so it may not be a better… lot of factors to think about.

True … that’s why i was suggesting to her (Khan1123) about the same for even regional. Let’s see … hoping for better

1 Like

you think there will be less applicants OOS or in general. Why?