UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

Sorry to revive this thread, but I was wondering if anyone here knew the breakdown of how many apply vs. how many get in. Just asking out of curiosity.

I think a couple years ago 290 people got an interview and 120 got in. I have no idea how many apply in the beginning. Anyone else know?

Shall we make a new thread for this year?

Last year they received between 900-1000 applications. Approximately 600 of those met the admission criteria and had provided everything requested. Interviews were offered to around 250. Approximately 124 students are in this year’s class.

UMKC requires that you send in your personal inventory along with your ACT score. On the web site I am trying to send in my June 2007 test, but I have to use the ASR form. How do I send in my personal inventory also?

I mean they want you to send in your ACT student profile. How do I do that?

Actually, our class size this year is 129. Around 500 people met the criteria for this year.

No, our class size is 123 (they said 124 at the orientation presentation but 1 girl dropped out before coming), 59 girls, 64 guys. We have about 40ish% Asian (in this case mainly Indian), 25ish% white, and I forget the rest of the stats. There’s only 9 African American kids (all pretty much African actually).

Hi again. Melodious do you come these forums anymore? I really need your expert advice on some things. Anybody responding would help. I am extremely ambitious about being a doctor and I don’t know what to do. I have a 3.99 gpa and a 29 ACT score, and I have a lot of extracurricular including health related expereiences, but the problem is that FIVE people are applying from our school and 2 of them are destroying me in stats. Any help?

Heart Surgeon 123, there are plenty of people here from the same high school, and I’m sure their strengths vary. Are you in state? Because if you are all in state, I don’t think your stats will hurt you. It really does come down to the interview also. Someone can have amazing stats, but freak at their interview and fail to show any degree of maturity and drive.

hey does UMKC require recommendations?

Yep. They’re in the School of Medicine application packet. Three total I think.

Hey I am currently a 15 year old sophomore and have been strongly considering a medical career. I am actually thinking of being an ophthalmologist(eye surgeon). I was wondering how to start shadowing a doctor. where should I go to volunteer? Should I wait until my junior year to shadow a doctor or should I start now? Is there anything else I should do to become a doctor?

I also think that this 6 year program would be awesome. But would it be a bad idea to go to UMKC if I want to be an ophthalmologist?

I would appreciate any information. thanx.

Hi, what are my chances of admission. I know my stats aren’t amazing.
Out-of-state

ACT: 29

Class President
Student Council President
Redbird Nest President (pep club i founded)
WYSE
Biology Club
Interact Rotary Club

Volunteered at Hospital 50 hours
Shadowed former UMKC graduate

My dad works in MO. Does that help my chances of admission?

Oh I forgot…

Varsity Soccer Captain

• All-Conference
  • All-Sectional

And I have 6 AP classes…along with 25 hours of college credit all of which will transfer after talking with registar at UMKC

To JWaldrop21:
I’d suggest starting to volunteer as soon as possible. I know I wish I did that. More hours and a longer commitment always looks good. Ask around at hospitals and clinics for volunteering programs, and look around at same hospital or family friends for doctor shadowing experience. Introduce yourself, explain what you’re doing, and try really hard to get on their good side. As far as opthalmology goes, don’t worry about that yet. You’re about to embark on the same path as almost every other pre-med student. Four years of undergraduate work, and then (hopefully) four years of medical school. Only after that do you need to start worrying about specialty. A future opthalmologist follows the same path as a neurosurgeon until after their four years of medical school. Medical school rotations are what help you learn what specialty you may want to go into. As far as UMKC goes, check out their residency placements for opthalmology.
<a href=“http://research.med.umkc.edu/news/sections/prn/backissues/back_pdfs/April07_prn.pdf[/url]”>http://research.med.umkc.edu/news/sections/prn/backissues/back_pdfs/April07_prn.pdf&lt;/a&gt;
You’d have a chance at any residency no matter where you go, so UMKC would be possible for that. Good luck!

To Schmidty147:

You have a fairly good chance. UMKC just makes sure that you meet their requirements. And your class ranking’s pretty good as well. I would suggest more extracurriculars and raise ur ACT score to at least 30 just in case, but other than that I think ur fine (at least it was for my year wwwww)

thanks sharingan89

once accepted into this program, what are the necessary requirements, including GPA and MCAT score? also, what other schools offer 6/7 year programs?
thanks

u don’t take mcats at umkc…