UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

How many meetings over the summer? I applied for an internship that I am hoping to get in MD, and I live in NH anyway if I spend my summer at home. Is it worth it to just spend the summer in MO, are there that many meetings? I’d be willing to do it if necessary, but I’m not sure if that would be my first choice of summer plans. Thanks for any info.

No no no… by many I mean 3 and some aren’t mandatory… go have some fun in Maryland. :slight_smile:

For all of you out there awaiting decisions this was recently posted on the UMKC message board:

"We will send out admission and denial letters in the mail and than we will send two days later after the admission letters go out an e-mail indicating if a student has been admitted. We will not send out an e-mail indicating if a student has been denied.

Chris Chidester/Office of Admissions"

thanks for the info

patelakshar, could you provide a URL for that message board?

That message is pretty ambigious, I’d like to ask for clarification.

<a href=“http://messageboard.chatuniversity.com/umkc_ug/default.asp?action=10&fid=262[/url]”>http://messageboard.chatuniversity.com/umkc_ug/default.asp?action=10&fid=262&lt;/a&gt;

Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

so a question: after your first 2 years, do most medical students choose to stay in dorms?

As far as I know: No. Many of them live in Apartments (a particular complex in Mission is full of students) while a few by condos, houses, etc…

Do you know an estimation of the mean price to rent an apartment in KC, if you don’t mind me asking? :slight_smile:

Begins around $300 and goes…well it goes.
Mean around $450-500.

<a href=“http://www.apartmentguide.com/search/searchresults.asp?wsv_qsDosort=6&wsv_qsHeaders=6&wsv_qsSessionID=258731604&wsv_qsListType=1&wsv_qsPartner=-1&wsv_qsGeoKey=1,25,92&wsv_qsKeyword=&wsv_qsRegisteredFlag=0&wsv_qsBrowseStatus=0&wsv_qsSearchStatus=1&wsv_qsReferringURL=&wsv_qsSCartStatus=0&wsv_qsLowPrice=0&wsv_qsHighPrice=99999&wsv_qsBR=&wsv_qsTerm=3&wsv_qsAdvancedSearch=&wsv_qsNoAreas=False&wsv_qsSFlg=[/url]”>http://www.apartmentguide.com/search/searchresults.asp?wsv_qsDosort=6&wsv_qsHeaders=6&wsv_qsSessionID=258731604&wsv_qsListType=1&wsv_qsPartner=-1&wsv_qsGeoKey=1,25,92&wsv_qsKeyword=&wsv_qsRegisteredFlag=0&wsv_qsBrowseStatus=0&wsv_qsSearchStatus=1&wsv_qsReferringURL=&wsv_qsSCartStatus=0&wsv_qsLowPrice=0&wsv_qsHighPrice=99999&wsv_qsBR=&wsv_qsTerm=3&wsv_qsAdvancedSearch=&wsv_qsNoAreas=False&wsv_qsSFlg=&lt;/a&gt;

Yay…just had my interview, and it went extremely well, so I’m excited :slight_smile: I’m trying not to get my hopes up, since I know how competitive this is, so we’ll see in April how everything goes!

Wow, you had your interview this late? We’re supposed to get our results like in two weeks.

I had a meeting yesterday… just to give you guys a little info:

There will be 2 meetings for prospective freshmen in April. So far the date for the one in Kansas City is on April 1st (no time yet), and the St. Louis meeting is on April 16th at 3:00 pm. They are not required, but they will answer a lot of your questions (and provide food) so it is in your best interest to attend. You should get a letter about these meetings soon… this will give you the exact dates, locations, and times. (The April 1st one seems really early to me, but that’s what was said… maybe they will change it? I don’t know when last years was since I went to the St. Louis meeting…)

A group of students (probably including me…:)) will be there to answer all of YOUR questions that your parents probably won’t ask (and don’t want to know the answers to…) so keep your calendars open.

Yeah, liznowen, it’s a long story- but I do know that the selection commitees are meeting on Tuesday to determine who gets in, so I just made it, I suppose

Those meeting dates are rather unfortunate. How would out of state students get the information that would be discussed during those meetings?

Well Pentasa, it seems like you may have some concerns about the program. My advice is if you think you may be overqualified, you should look at attending another university. You’ll be better off in the long run. As a graduate, i think you have some valid concerns. Anyway, the important thing is to not go there simply because you think it may be difficult to get into medical school the long route. Despite what people say, if you are bright and hard working you will do just fine. That’s my two cents.

From Pentasa:

I actually took the campus tour on the 21st and heard about their 6-year program. Frankly, I was unimpressed with the facilities and seclusion of the med students.

Also, they said that the med students have no life. Strictly speaking in terms of admission, the average ACT is still 28 for the 6 yr program. It is a pretty wack system if you ask me- not as competitive as you may think (for in-state, that is. out of state is tough)

I asked her what the higher end ACT scores were for the 6-yr program, and she says they run across a few 31s or 32s, and the highest score they had matriculate in the 04-05 year was a 33.

I have a 34 as of now, so I think I’m a lock.

yes… those meeting dates are kind of weird I agree…

There will still be at least 3 orientations in the summer, only one of which is required. Usually the information is repeated at all of them anyway. This first one is not really in orientation, just a little get together to help you decide if you would like to come (and maybe pick a roommate). :slight_smile:

Today’s the day, eh? The day that will determine our fate for the next decade…lol :slight_smile:

we are going to hear today?!?!

1 Like