UMKC 6-year BS/MD Program

no…no…:

Today is Tuesday, March 22, 2005. :slight_smile:

ahhh how nervewracking ;(
they better send out those letters/emails soon!

I am really, really nervous. I assume letters will probably be going out Monday at the latest. So, technically, we should know via email by Wednesday whether or not we got in. Those who got in will get emails and those who didn’t, won’t.

So, for the benefit of everyone, could the people who get emails please post that they did?

bad news! my college counselor called UMKC on my behalf today and was told that the <em>earliest</em> the letters will go out is the 2ND HALF of next week! how frustrating :frowning:

That is so weird. Mary Anne Morgenegg (sp?) told me that the letters should be in hand by the 1st.

"
Hello,

I have been told that letters will be going out anytime know and that students who are accepted will also get an e-mail indicating they have been accepted.

Mary Anne is quite overwhelmed at this point with phone calls and e-mails and she is trying I am sure to get back with students as quickly as possible.

Chris Chidester/Office of Admissions
"

<a href=“http://messageboard.chatuniversity.com/umkc_ug/default.asp?action=9&read=14769&fid=262[/url]”>http://messageboard.chatuniversity.com/umkc_ug/default.asp?action=9&read=14769&fid=262&lt;/a&gt;

all these mixed signals lol… if/when you guys get emails, be sure to post here!

Hey, since time is becomming very short, I’d like to wish everyone good luck wherever they end up in the fall. :slight_smile: I’m sure you’ll all be excellent doctors, one way or another.

yeah…Good Luck :slight_smile:

Thank you. I’m sure you need absolutely no luck with your statistics. :smiley:

more news! i called mary anne morgenegg today, she told me letters are being sent out (hopefully) TOMORROW! which means most of us in the surrounding area will have them by monday, and if we don’t, we can give her a call. emails will go out on monday too. this is the final stretch guys… GOOD LUCK and i hope to see you all soon at UMKC. :slight_smile:

Post here once you know:

Name | email/aim | Accepted/Rejected.

Good Luck. :slight_smile:

:smiley: So if we don’t get a letter or email by Monday, we should call her?

So…

I know all you guys are nervous about acceptances and all that jazz. I, however, just kicked a very evil o-chem test in the buttocks, and with all this free time I have decided to make a little pro/con list of UMKC Med (yeah I know it’s your lucky day… ha).

Cons:

<ol>
<li>
UMKC is not research based… YET.
If your goal is to the be the king of Massachusetts General Hospital c/o Harvard then don’t come here. People who have academic positions USUALLY (not always) have an impressive pedigree with impressive research and impressive publications from impressive places. If all of that means the world to you, than good fer ya… stay away from my school. :slight_smile:
</li>
<li>
You might have to defend yourself on certain online forums which shall remain nameless (one of the worst sounds like Dutent Locter Pot Bet). A lot of pre-meds and med students are easily stuck on the fear that if you don’t receive your training from the most impressive places then people will not respect you or you will die. This is very VERY true… eventually we are all going to die. What is also true is that in medicine, people respect you for the work that you put in. Lazy doctors from Yale are not cool. Hardworking doctors from UMKC are.
</li>
<li>
If you are out of state you have to be rich to attend (or have a lot of scholarships). DO NOT take out $350,000+ dollars of student loans… Just don’t do it ($200,000 is more reasonable).
</li>
<li>
Some people who attend UMKC were forced to come by their parents. They don’t want to be doctors, they don’t want to study, and they don’t want to be in Kansas City. They are just grumpy. Usually when you hear about how “miserable and unhappy” UMKC students are, it is because the above people complain a lot and are really loud. So once again… if you know you are not going to like it please spare my ears and go somewhere else… thanks. :slight_smile:
</li>
<li>
The cafeteria food = poo on a hot summer day.
</li>
</ol>

and now the Pros:

<ol>
<li>
You always hear that “college is the best time of you life… why rush it… just have some fun!!” The truth is, for some people (me) being pre-med at a top 10 college would not have been my idea of “fun”. The pre-med students that I know sacrifice a lot of their free time and energy on standardized tests and GPAs and all of that jazz… I just didn’t want things like that to consume my life (like in high school). I am not saying that I’m a slacker here (I have a 3.9 right now)… but I am a LOT more relaxed knowing that if I keep it up I WILL be a physician (sure there are the boards, but lets not think about that now…).
</li>
<li>
You have constant guidance. A lot of my friends (see grumpy) feel that this is a major con because they want all the advisors and the dean etc. to get out of their business. I however LOVE that no matter what happens, someone is on my side. Ex. I got (really bad) food poisoning (see con #5) the day before a big micro test and a lab. My advisor contacted my instructor and helped me to work something out. Wonderful.
</li>
<li>
Even if you do want to do research it is very possible. People here have presented at national conventions, received NIH fellowships, and attended Harvard for a year to do research… everything. And because few people do research, you may stand out more for doing a bit (I’m going to do clinical research with my docent doctor this summer).
</li>
<li>
(This is more of advice than a pro, but it was a pro for me!) Pick a place where you feel you will succeed. People will argue that you will get a better residency position at a top school at the bottom of the class than if you go to a not top school, but my question is… is it worth it struggling at the bottom of that top school? My answer to this question was no. And this definitely does not mean that everyone here has good grades and none of us are struggling… that is a HUGE lie. But just know yourself… know your limitations and know how much stress you are willing to take and then how much is actually necessary.
</li>
<li>
UMKC graduates are everywhere. They are faculty at Northwestern, Harvard, Yale, John Hopkins, Baylor, Mayo (how’s that for name dropping?). I consider it a pro that people don’t know this because it means that UMKC grads blend in with everyone else. That’s right. Cramming 8 years of school into 6 does not make you a weird mutant doctor hybrid. And I am almost positive that a side effect of graduation does not include a cyan, radioactive glow.
</li>
<li>
Everyone here becomes your family. There is obviously some competition… that is only natural when a bunch of smart people are grouped together, but at the end of the day I look forward to seeing all of my peers succeed. That is the general consensus.
</li>
</ol>

Ok that’s all for now. Sorry this post is really long and random and contains lots of bad grammar… kindly ignore that. But my ramblings aside, always remember that college is YOUR decision (not yer mom’s). Only you can decide where you will be happy and where you will succeed.

I am now going to play DDR until my legs fall off. Happy waiting future year 1’s. :slight_smile:

ACCEPTED!!!

Stats:
33 ACT
3.9 GPA at a private KCMO prep school
50+ hours doctor shadowing
extensive musical theatre involvement, tae kwon do, various minor awards, etc.

Congratulations!! I guess MO residents know by now.

Hello, I was wondering if on the application they ask you how many hours you have volunteered/shadowed? Even though I do have an interest for medicine, I really won’t be able to get like 100+ hours due to being 14+ miles from a hospital.

Oh, and I’m applying next year.

They do ask for how much time you put into your extracurriculars. If you don’t have a hospital nearby, you might look into shadowing some doctors with offices close to you, or just volunteering to help out with paperwork or w/e. Anything to get medical exposure is great.

They ask what grade levels you have done the activity for. However, the number of hours done could come up in an interview (though i doubt it). What UMKC really wants to see is that you have had broad exposure to medicine and that you are fully commited towards medicine. You need to prove that in your application and interview. 14+ miles is not far at all. I vollunteered at a hospital that was about 20 miles from my home. The best way to get exposure to medicine, truly is to shadow/volunteer (more so, shadow).

Thanks, alone with volunteering and shadowing, I am also sending questions to doctors in my area about being a doctor, ect. Also, would having taken anatomy and physiology in high school help at all? (taking right now)

Oh, and I’m instate.