UNH Class of 2025 Early Action

Just check my portal finally got a decision but was admitted for an alternate major. I don’t think I put an alternate major down when I applied and its not even in the same school I applied too. Did anyone else go though this/ know what this means?

What major? What school?

This happened to some friends of my daughter. There seems to be two scenarios.

1. When the major/school they were applying for is a “competitive” major/school (nursing, Paul College of Business, are two examples) and UNH has filled their quota. UNH still wants them to attend but unfortunately there is no space left in the major. So they were accepted into another major/school.
  2. It also happened because the major/school they were applying to felt that they were not quite ready academically for that major/school or they were missing some key classes for that particular major/school. UNH accepted them into COLA. From there, I believe they can transfer later on into their intended major/school once they’ve taken the appropriate classes and/or demonstrate they can handle a challenging college schedule.

If this isn’t the case with you definitely check with the Admissions Office for clarification.

1 Like

I applied Exercise Science EA and was deferred because they wanted midyear grades. I was accepted Biology.

@vividnova Exercise Science is a “competitive” major at UNH. See link for more information transferring into major:
https://admissions.unh.edu/admitted-students/changing-majors-competitive-majors

You should reach out to the Admissions Office for more information.

UNH has been disappointing as far as communication. Their portal seems to be how everyone is finding out if accepted. And it’s usually a random check on the students part. My daughter has become disenchanted with UNH for these reasons. She applied late Oct. was asked for mid year grades which were sent Feb 2nd and has reached out to admissions, expressing continued interest. They keep telling her they will have a decision “ in a few weeks”.

My son initially applied EA and was deferred pending mid-year. At around the same time, UNH extended their application deadline, which would indicate they were falling short on total applicants. So, the decision dates were pushed out further. We checked the portal around Feb 20 to find out he was admitted. The letter arrived in the mail about a week later. I think UNH is making some changes because my son had to re-activate his account…and they created a short acceptance video (similar to other colleges) and an acceptance email was also generated. This year seems to be a bit more difficult because some colleges are getting increases in applications…but some are getting less. And, I bet it will be more difficult for colleges to predict the actual acceptance rate because so many students applied to schools to take advantage of test optional. Depending on your daughter’s major, and the extended RD period, this could be the reason for taking longer

1 Like

Thank you for this info. My daughter was in the same boat. She just reactivated her account and her acceptance is now in there.

We have actually ruled UNH out because of the terrible communication. No thank you. Other schools are doing much better.

1 Like

I can completely understand. We have had great communication from other universities. In these crazy times, with everything these current seniors are missing out on, excitement and enthusiasm from schools is important

I know a lot of our communications come through email. D21 is really bad at checking her email, especially since her school email is different. A lot of UNH email was going to her promotions folder. There have been all kinds of events online. She has also gotten several things through the mail.

I think they have virtual tours almost every day.

As far as finding out everything on the portal, I wish UNH and others would realize that kids check that and stop sending snail mail. Just send out the email to check their portal. D found out several acceptances by accident. It really was anticlimactic.

Yes! He did eventually start to receive nice emails and regular mail. It was just that initial “Admit” online that threw me off! They should have tried to make it more exciting, I think. :slight_smile:

1 Like

just found out I was as a psychology major with a 10k scholarship!

1 Like