Univ of Rhode Island direct entry?

<p>I see Univ of Rhode Island is on the master list of Direct Entry Schools but upon further research on their site there are no guarantees the student will progress into the clinicals..?</p>

<p>"Entry into NUR 203 is competitive and seats are limited.
Students are required to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and a grade of “C” or
better in all prerequisite courses to be considered. Entrance into the clinical course sequence is not guaranteed once meeting these requirements. Placement is competitively granted based on success in prerequisite criteria"</p>

<p>I just read Mwallenmd reply in another post regarding Uconn and URI was mentioned as well where Mwallenmd stated the student needs to maintain a certain gpa to continue which I completely understand but the current wording on the URI site to me sounds like they are saying EVEN if you maintain the proper grades and GPA due to limited spaces in the clinical you still aren’t assured a spot…</p>

<p>D applied to URI and hasn’t heard back yet from them, but she doesn’t recall seeing this same information on the URI website in the fall when she submitted her application</p>

<p>Historically URI has been identified as a direct entry Nursing Program as students admitted to Nursing as freshman take a Nursing specific course the second semester of their freshman year (this is not usually done in your 2+2 Nursing programs). They also do not delineate that students have to apply separately to the Nursing Program sometime after they have been admitted to the university initially. It appears to me, however, that URI’s Program is somewhat of a sort of hybrid Program as they do not guarantee progression into the sophomore year in Nursing even if a student meets the minimum academic requirements identified during their freshman year in the Program. I don’t recall whether this is something new or if it always has been this way. Perhaps someone who is in the Program now could shed some light on this. It would be interesting to see if URI had any specific statistics available delineating the average percentage of students admitted into Nursing as freshman who are able to continue in the Program as sophomores. This could swing the Program definition in one direction or the other. In any event IMHO URI should make these requirements clearly known to individuals applying to the Nursing major. Just my opinion.</p>

<p>Hi Hummingbird22
I am in Virginia, even though my D applied to schools in VA only,
I have this exact same question
just *exactly how many students * get to be in the Nursing program because this is important info to me.
I tired to dig up as much info as I can by asking the Nursing programs directly
or try to look at their Common Data Set or FAQ page
or the total # of student that took the NCLEX exams the past yrs.</p>

<p>on URI FAQ ( or was it UConn? I looked at both just now , I apologize if I have these data mixed up )
they said they allow 100 students per semester to do the clinical.
they said they have apx 850 undergrad. nursing students ( total Trad BSN & RN-BSN). </p>

<p>look up : the total # of student that took the NCLEX exams the past yrs.
This may give you an idea of apx how many students are in that program ( 100? 200? 60? 50? )
I was told that by knowing the # of students that took the NCLEX the previous year is a * very rough / very general * estimate of students in that program. </p>

<p>if the school has their CDS Common Data Set break down into individual schools, some do & some don’t, it will say the # of students in their nursing school.</p>

<p>hope this helps you</p>

<p>You cant base the nclex on number of students in a program anymore…the nursing schools are holding certificates until each student satisfies they will pass the exam…like with a college exit test. Even if you have a great gpa and you don’t pass no certificate…It will give you an idea but not accurate…Each nursing program wants the students to pass the first time they take the test…perfect example…Worcester state 100 percent pass rate , but only 40 or so took the test - i know there was more than 40 graduating students. Read UMASS Dartmouths nursing manual …it has a clause about it. </p>

<p>I suggest talking with current and past student and reading each colleges nursing guidelines manual and curriculum…big differences.</p>

<p>I also noticed
NCLEX student # =/= Students in the Program</p>

<p>the total # of students who took the NCLEX exams
for the 2 schools my D applied to
don’t quite add up to
the total of students they have in their programs.</p>

<p>I watched an old news thread about URI opening a new nursing program in providence area. It was going to be affiliated/shared with another college. Does anyone have any more info on this?</p>