University Delaware Class of 2027 Official Thread

$60,000 is more than tuition and room/board, probably meany total. My daughter received $17,000 a year a few years ago.

Iā€™m not sure if I will attend I have five options at this point.

Yea itā€™s $15k a year to clarify. So a total of $60k over 4 years. The more people I talk to I keep hearing kids with similar stats getting btwn $10-$15k a year. Do I think itā€™s great merit for a state school? No. But itā€™s better than the measly $8k my dd total ($2k/yr). This is her top choice and I really feel the best fit for her. Plus I am an alum. Extremely disappointed. I do believe sheā€™ll go here either way but Iā€™m going to fight this and wanted to compare with others first. Thanks for the input

2 Likes

What are ur daughters stats if you donā€™t mind me asking?

4.6W/3.7UW. 1220 SAT (submitted. And they told my husband on the phone that they do not use scores for merit). Lots of ECs and leadership positions. She also works. FBLA president

I think scores may affect merit because I have similar stats to ur daughter but I submitted a 1390 SAT score. But I also have a higher unweighted gpa so idk

My daughter was admitted for Nursing and she also got the $15k/per year scholarship, so I do think that the information is correct.

1 Like

I am sure you mentioned this but are you in state or out of state? We are out of state, so the 15k/year isnā€™t nearly the same help as receiving 15k/yr in state. My daughter also didnā€™t submit test scores. So, it may be true that the scores are not part of the equation.

We are OOS

Well, yep, that is strange. My son was accepted to Lerner a few years ago, he ended up going somewhere else so he could play his sport but I donā€™t remember how much aid, or if any, he received. Maybe it has to do with the department? My dd was accepted to Biology. Have you gone back and rechecked her portals? I remember my dd financial aid shifted a bit before the 15K award was posted in the financial portal.

Hi I appleid this year OOS and got at 17k per year trustee scholarship going into Electrical engineering. I was confused as well about this since I did have lower stats than others. I had a 1220 sat score and a 4.1 weighted and 4.0 unweighted average. From what I understand is since many schools do weighting of gpa differently UD has their own weighting scale different from high schools thatā€™s more universal. Also from what I understand UD values diversity in applicants more than just getting good grades. Another thought I have is they must spread out the scholarships so for example they canā€™t give all the trustee scholarships to the nursing program because then no one would get high scholarships in engineering. So what Iā€™m saying is the more popular fields are more competitive and people may have higher stats than others, but itā€™s spread around the majors. This is all my opinion from what Iā€™ve read about UD.

Thatā€™s right! I forgot that UD was one of the schools our daughter had to fill out the SRAR for. So their calculations for GPA could very well be different. And the way they compare across applicants.

Our daughter is from a very far away state and so Iā€™m thinking that helped her in the way of diversity. I donā€™t think anyone in her school has even heard of UD haha.

2 Likes

Is there anyone else on this thread whose son or daughter was deferred this year or previous years? Just wondering about the timeline for notification. UD says by Aprilā€¦ hoping it doesnā€™t go that long.

1 Like

My daughter was deferred. Now waiting hoping the same that it happens soon and with a positive notification.

Goodluck!

2 Likes

Yes, my son was deferred Early Action and finally accepted on March 1 (for 2019). He sent a LOCI (letter of continued interest) to the admissions officer. Best of luck to your student. My son graduates from UD in May.

3 Likes

My son sent in his app in October EA. Must have checked RD by accident. We still havenā€™t heard yet. Iā€™m thinking something got messed up with his application. When should we expect to hear from regular decision?

1 Like

That is so hard. You can go back to the Common App, under Dashboard scroll down to Univ. of Delaware, then look at the gray highlighted line that says, Show more details. Click on Show more details. Under Application Status, click View Submitted Application. Scroll down to page 12 (It could be a different page though due to length of essay & extra curricular activities, etc). You can view what Admission plan he selected (EA or RD) . Regardless, he could send his AO a quick email. Hoping for the best for your son.

Anyone have any experience with merit being added later in the process? Our son was admitted very early into Lerner School. We received no where near the merit we were hoping for. Iā€™m assuming there are a lot of students being offered merit that will decline to attend. Does that aid get redistributed? Holding out hope for some aid as it could be a difference maker in the decision process.

Iā€™ve never heard of anyone being offered more merit later on.

Thatā€™s what weā€™re expecting but hopeful too. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like