University Fellows Experience UFE Finalist Weekend Tips

Went to the weekend a while back and wrote these… Here are tips, tricks, and things to remember! I hope these can help someone out!

1. You are being observed 100% of the time. From seeing how you socialize with your peers to how you’re dressed, there are current Fellows and staff members watching. So make sure to be off your phone, smiling, and talking to people. The moment you step into a Fellow’s car from the airport as they take you to campus is fair game.
  2. Dress well. There is one business casual occasion and one business formal occasion. I would recommend wearing suits/pantsuits for both. Things down south are more formal. The only difference is that you can take your blazer off during the business casual meal. Also pack nice casual clothes: dark jeans and a sweater or a polo. There is a time when you can dress down. Still look nice. Girls (and all those inclined to wear heels): there is a lot of walking, so I would recommend flats.
  3. Show up early to all events. On your schedule it will say “Meet at X time.” Go to the designated 10 minutes before then.
  4. You’ll want to talk to the decision makers. Google to see who is in charge of the program and make sure to get face time with them.
  5. Also make sure to talk to current Fellows. They are decision makers too.
  6. Don’t worry about the interview. It’s not bad. Make sure to socialize and make yourself known so that in case the interview doesn’t go well you’ll still have people rooting for you.
  7. Know how to answer (possibly in a witty way): Where are you from? Why Alabama (Note: do NOT say “the scholarships/it’s free. You’ll be surprised by how many of your peers will say the latter) What’s your major of choice? You’ll get asked these a gazillion times.
  8. Remember that this is a SERVICE based experience. Focus on how you’re a leader and someone who will change the world.
  9. Don’t act mean/cutthroat. That will only reflect poorly upon you. Most people are chill, don’t ruin the vibe. It will be noticed.
  10. While you will be surrounded by amazing Finalists, keep in mind that they’re not the decision makers. You’ll have plenty of time to get to know them over the next four years. Focus on impressing the admin and current fellows.

Congratulations on making it to the Weekend! That’s a HUGE accomplishment of its own. Enjoy it and have fun!

Also, after the weekend is over send thank you notes to EVERYONE you talked to. Write down their names during the week. This may make all the difference.

Hi! I know this was for last year’s weekend, but when were you notified of your status in the program?