University of Alabama application letter

<p>I got a letter in the mail from the University of Alabama saying that student financial aid received my results for the FAFSA but to continue the processing of my financial aid eligibility I must complete and return all requested documentation. The letter than continues to say that they will process my application for financial aid once my admission status is complete. Contact the admissions office to determine the necessary action to complete my application. I don’t know what to do because I’ve submitted everything the university told me to submit. </p>

<p>Danielle - You might want to repost this in the University of Alabama forum. Tons of helpful people there! Have you called Admissions yet? They will help you…just call.</p>

<p>I got this too. It means we were lucky enough to be randomly selected to provide verification. Basically, they want documentation to prove that the info you provided in the FAFSA is accurate. It’s just UA’s way of keeping everybody honest. </p>

<p>A certain % of FAFSA apps are selected for verification. I don’t know if the school randomly selects or the feds’ system randomly selects.</p>

<p>Thank you for the help. The info I provided for the FAFSA was correct but, when I called them to ask about it they said I need more math and science when I’ve taking 3 years in both. Algebra 1, Geometry, I believe I’ve taken Algebra 2 but when I check my application statues it says I’ve haven’t taken it. I was home schooled so my mother would order the books that they said I would need. I have taken Biology, Physical Science, and Physics and they’re still saying I need a third in science I just honestly don’t know what to do </p>

<p>Did you take Chemistry? What 3 maths did you take?</p>

<p>This sounds like an application problem, not a FA problem? </p>

<p>Danielle, I think the problem may be Physical Science. I think it is not considered a “lab” science and therefore does not qualify. In our high school, it will not qualify for the 3 courses needed for graduation. The kids who have it on their record (like one of my daughters) took it in middle school. The other daughter waited until high school and took Biology, Chemistry, and Physics and will not take Physical Science at all. </p>

<p>Like I said I was homeschooled and my mother would order the books that the homeschool said I would need. I pretty sure I’ve taken everything all of you are saying. If I can get a copy of my transcript from the school I’ll be sure. I think there might have been a problem with my transcript, when I go up to the school Monday I’m going to speak to administrater to see what exactly she did. Because when she sent my transcripts she was recovering at home from a surgery.</p>

<p>Danielle, I homeschooled my kids in middle school and that is what made me think of the physical science part. I decided to edit this, so I didn’t steer you wrong. Physical science does not meet the requirements in our high school for the “Science Academy”. The counselors steer college-bound kids away from physical science and I am thinking they told me it was because it didn’t meet the “lab” science part. It will be a good idea to get your transcript and then compare it to the admission requirements on Alabama’s website. </p>

<p>I’m seriously hoping that there was just a problem with my transcript </p>

<p>This problem sounds like it is a transcript issue. It has nothing to do with homeschooling (unless inappropriate coursework was completed) and it has nothing to do with FAFSA. We are homeschoolers and have never had ssues with admissions (at UA and dozens of other universities over the yrs) but I am also completely clueless about what you mean by your mother would order the books that the homeschool would tell her to order. ??? I have been homeschooling for 20 yrs and have done so in multiple states. No one has ever told me what to order. </p>

<p>Here is a link with UA’s admission requirements
<a href=“Freshman Requirements – Admissions”>http://gobama.ua.edu/steps/freshman-req/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>While I don’t use physical science as a high school course and I expect my kids to complete math beyond alg 2, it does not appear that those are real issues with UA. They stipulate
4 units of English
4 units of social sciences, including world history or a comparable course
3 units of mathematics (must include algebra I, algebra II, and one unit of either geometry, trigonometry, or calculus)
3 units of natural sciences, including two courses with lab components
1 unit of foreign language
5 additional units of academic courses (We recommend courses in fine arts or computer literacy, with additional courses in mathematics, natural sciences, and foreign language.)*</p>

<p>Eta: I searched for AL high school diploma requirements to see if physical science counts as a high school credit and it does appear to
<a href=“http://web.alsde.edu/general/ALABAMA_HIGH_SCHOOL_GRADUATION_REQUIREMENTS.pdf”>http://web.alsde.edu/general/ALABAMA_HIGH_SCHOOL_GRADUATION_REQUIREMENTS.pdf&lt;/a&gt;
I would assume that if it meets the requirements of in-state graduates, it would be counted as a high schoolcredit.</p>

<p>It’s an acceralatied Christian homeschool so they would order the books in a subject kit which would have the subjects I need to complete that year and the school would order them per quarter. But I still think it was something with my transcript. I don’t see how they would say physical science isn’t a high school credit when I have friends in public school who are currently taking it and it’s the same coursework that I did.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>There are so many contradictions in that explanation, but that is neither here nor there. If you have completed physical science, bio, and physics as well as alg 1 and 2, and geo, it sounds like your transcript was incomplete as sent.</p>

<p>When I go up to my school Monday I’m going to ask them about everything that’s been going on</p>

<p>UA waives certain high school course requirements if such courses are not typically offered at the student’s high school. This is often seen with students from states which don’t offer social science courses to 9th graders.</p>

<p>You could offer to take a science course at a community college or, depending on the level of your science curriculum, take an AP or CLEP exam and earn college credit that way.</p>

<p>Danielle good luck at UA. A friend’s D was homeschooled and loves UA. My D will be there in the fall.</p>