University of California GPA

I am an international student and saw that to apply to a UC a non-resident has to have at least a 3.4 UC gpa. Does that count for international students as well? And do UC’s give extra points for IB Higher level courses,IB standard level courses or the IGCSE courses (I am taking IB this year in 11th grade and am taking HL-PHY, ECON, CHEM SL-MATH, ENG, and a second language) which IB courses that I take count? Thanks to anyone that can give feedback.

Btw I took IGCSE courses (full diploma) in 10th grade

?

According to the UC application information, the GPA requirement will depend upon how your grade system. If you grades translate into the 4.0 system, then a 3.4 minimum will be required. IB courses taken in 11th grade will be considered for the extra honors points.

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/international/applying-for-admission/freshman-requirements-country/index.html

http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/files/quick-reference-2015.pdf

Here is some of the information from the link above:

International Baccalaureate (IB) predicted scores
We request predicted IB scores from students enrolled in IB programs outside the United States. Prospective freshmen may provide predicted scores on the International External Exams page of the application for admission. If predicted IB scores are not available at the time of submission of the application, students do not need to worry, nor do they need to submit them at a later date. Predicted scores will not be the sole basis of admission selection by UC campuses.

Students who attend school outside the United States should report their international coursework and grades in the Academic History section of the admission application to the best of their ability, following the instructions provided. They should list all courses attempted and record the grades earned exactly as reported by the international school — whether as numbers, letters, percentages or words. Students should not attempt to convert grades to the U.S. grading scale.
Prospective freshmen should report all external exams (such as GCE or IGCSE) completed and planned on the International External Exams page in the Test Scores section and select the grades/marks received exactly as they appear on the certi ed results sheet rather than the mark assigned by the teacher at the end of the course. Additional information about meeting UC’s subject requirements based on international secondary courses can be found at: admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/ international/applying-for-admission/freshman-requirements- country/index.html and on pages 12–13.

Would you count as an exception with 33/36 Act, 780 on physics and 800 on math 2 with a UC GPA of around 3.2-3.3?
Probably not at UC Berkeley or UCLA but how about the other UC’s?

Are you talking about admission by examination, meaning you do not meet UC minimum admision requirements due to GPA but have high test scores? There was another out of state applicant that had a low GPA around 3.1 that was not accepted at any UC’s they applied but that poster did not apply to all. All I can tell you is that your application will be reviewed but there are no gurantees but definitely apply to UCR/UCM and UCSC for the best chances.

Yes I was talking about admission by examination but I don’t know what the minimum scores have to be in order to be considered for admission through examination. Thanks for the info

For Future reference http://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/freshman/requirements/examination/index.html here t says that for OOS if you have a UC test score above 425 you can become an applicant through examination and it is designed in a way so that even if you get a 36/36 ACT you can’t reach the benchmark without subject tests and since I’m around 502/425 in terms of UC test score I qualify :slight_smile: hope I’m correct and I hope that this might help others

Also for future reference: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-california-berkeley/1682643-admission-by-examination-at-ucb.html

Remember Test scores and GPA are only part of the UC application process although GPA is heavily weighted. See how applications are reviewed:

Admissions assess students’ academic achievements in light of the opportunities available to them and their demonstrated capacity to contribute to the intellectual life at UC. The 14 factors we consider are:
• Academic grade point average in all completed “a-g” courses, including additional points for completed UC- designated honors courses
• Scores on the ACT with Writing or SAT with Writing
• Number of, content of and performance in academic courses beyond the minimum “a-g” requirements
• Number of and performance in approved honors courses, Advanced Placement courses, International Baccalaureate courses and transferable college courses
• Identification by UC as ranking in the top 9 percent of the student’s high school class (eligible in the local context, or ELC)
• Quality of a student’s senior-year program, as measured by the type and number of academic courses in progress or planned
• Quality of the academic performance relative to the educational opportunities available in the student’s high school
• Outstanding performance in one or more academic subject areas
• Outstanding work in one or more special projects in any academic field of study
Special talents, achievements and awards in a particular eld, such as visual and performing arts, communication or athletic endeavors; special skills, such as demonstrated written and oral pro ciency in other languages; special interests, such as intensive study and exploration of other cultures; experiences that demonstrate unusual promise for leadership, such as signi cant community service or signi cant participation
in student government; or other signi cant experiences or achievements that demonstrate the student’s promise for contributing to the intellectual vitality of a campus
• Completion of special projects undertaken in the context of a student’s high school curriculum or in conjunction with special school events, projects or programs
• Academic accomplishments in light of a student’s life experiences and special circumstances, including but not limited to: disabilities, low family income, rst generation
to attend college, need to work, disadvantaged social or educational environment, di cult personal and family situations or circumstances, refugee status or veteran status.
• Location of a student’s secondary school and residence

Btw I know that I only qualify for admission and nothing is guaranteed but is a UC test score of 500 low/average?

A UC score of 500 looks competitive.