How do I calculate my UC GPA as an out-of-state resident?

<p>If it is true that the UC system takes up to 8 classes with AP or IB credit then I have the following all from my junior year:</p>

<p>IB English - B
IB Math - A
IB History - A
IB French - B
IB Physics - A
IB ITGS - A
IB ToK - A
AP Macroeconomics - A</p>

<p>Does this mean the UC system will only use the aforementioned grades in calculating my UC GPA?
If so, how is this calculated?</p>

<p>Basically, how is the UC GPA calculated for an out-of-state applicant?</p>

<p>No, that is not correct. You are confusing some concepts. You are looking at the rules for a California resident to calculate GPA to determine if he is in the top 9% of California students. For doing that for a resident, sophomore and junior year grades are used as unweighted but you get to add in a one point weighting on a 4-point scale per semester course that is AP, IB or honors for up to 8 semester courses (e.g., 4 full year AP courses equals the 8 semester courses that can be weighted). Any AP, IB, or honors courses more than the 8 semester total get calculated into the GPA but without any weight.</p>

<p>That particular GPA is applicable only for California residents and only for the purpose of determining whether the resident is in the top 9% state wide. If he is, he will be admitted to “a” UC but not necessarily one of his choice (as long as he makes sure that he applies to the lower level UCs that generally take any 9% student). </p>

<p>As to actually being admitted to any particular UC otherwise (including any place like Berkeley, UCLA, or UCSD), all grades in a-g courses for freshman through junior year count and the grades in all AP or IB courses also count extra. In other words, to actually detemine admission other than for that 9% eligibility purpose, the college will do a full file review that includes all a-g courses, grades from freshman through junior year, and weighted consideration of all AP and IB courses.</p>

<p>A non-resident needs to have a minimum 3.4 GPA in college prep courses (which for UCs include visual or perfroming arts courses) to even be considered for admission, which GPA is determined using all of the students grades in college prep courses, freshman to junior year and weighting AP and IB courses (OOS get no weighting for honors courses). If you have a 3.4, that simply means you will be considered and guarantees nothing. You can attempt to calculate your own 9% GPA as a guide because unless you are well within that 9% range, you likely have no chance at all.</p>